HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
They did not do anything to this guy, just asked him to stop.

http://dcist.com/2012/09/faa_grounds_amateur_drone.php
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
when when I plop my 2 pound foam rc radian in front of the judge and watch him LAUGH at the FAA charges ?? really?

again I just don't see a judge enforcing this. I just don't, I do see them giving stern words to the FAA for wasting the courts time.

DC is restricted airspace.

TRUST ME. when they take you down in dc over the white house the FAA prohibition on commercial ap flight won't even cross their minds. it won't be anywhere on their radar screen for what they will charge you with.

you would be wrong (about unlimited faa power)
100% agree

The FAA would be making a very big mistake in trying to take this to court. There are no clear laws and they are being a nuisance to a select few to make an example but they have no ground to stand on legally. These are not armed drones, these are not drones that are spying, these are not drones endangering lives: they are drones flying over private property to take pictures of private property with the owner's permission for the most part. The FAA is stepping on a lot of toes if they try to seriously enforce this.

Take a golf course for example, hiring a uav operator to get hole flybys of their course. There is something flying over their course for commercial purposes constantly, but the FAA doesn't regulate golf balls used for commercial purposes. Ideally for this shot you are not flying much over the flight path of a golf ball, and you are not endangering airspace normally cluttered with uncontrolled golf balls by flying your heli/multi/foamy there. What jurisdiction does the FAA have here?
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:37 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Causby
Quote:
Justice Douglas did reach that conclusion, but then he went much further and opined on what airspace landowners do and do not own. He wrote that "if the landowner is to have full enjoyment of the land, he must have exclusive control of the immediate reaches of the enveloping atmosphere. Otherwise buildings could not be erected, trees could not be planted, and even fences could not be run" . . . Thus, a landowner "owns at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land," and invasions of that airspace "are in the same category as invasions of the surface."
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Thank you Tarro for posting that, that is exactly the legal precedent that can be used in court if anyone does find themselves in legal hot water.

"In connection with the land" are the most important words to that decision for us in my opinion. Very easy to argue that includes rc over a client's land.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,487 Posts
so who of you is willing to test that? are you willing to put your neck on the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
They did not do anything to this guy, just asked him to stop.

http://dcist.com/2012/09/faa_grounds_amateur_drone.php
some thing tells me if he did it again they wouldnt be so nice about it
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
so who of you is willing to test that? are you willing to put your neck on the line?

He was flying in the most restricted airspace on the planet, if he does it again they shouldn't be so nice.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post

I wish I had the equipment because I would. If tomorrow they announce an actual law I will acknowledge it as illegal, but until someone points to a specific law that says they have jurisdiction 100' off the ground that makes RCAP illegal I am certain nobody has a thing to worry about. Unfortunately my AP isn't good enough for anyone to want to buy, so I can't exactly help any for the cause.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
I wish I had the equipment because I would. If tomorrow they announce an actual law I will acknowledge it as illegal, but until someone points to a specific law that says they have jurisdiction 100' off the ground that makes RCAP illegal I am certain nobody has a thing to worry about. Unfortunately my AP isn't good enough for anyone to want to buy, so I can't exactly help any for the cause.
http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...fm?newsid=6287
here you go then all right there
FAA rules are as good as law as far as the courts care
the easy case for them is your aircraft doesnt have a COA and they dont care how small it is once money changes hands
its the same case as to why an experimental aircraft cant be used for commercial use
now if your just flying to put some thing on youtube meh what ever other then TFRs
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
And what if I put ads on my video? Suddenly something that already happened becomes illegal? It is a very thick grey line.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:41 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
Podcast on this topic today...

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/suasnew.../03/the-jumble
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,176 Posts
I dig this video!
Copter Kids Sony FS700 Test 240fps (1 min 59 sec)
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:12 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
further proof that the FAA is overstepping its bounds. FAR 101 makes it very clear model rocket flights are OUTSIDE THE AUTHORITY of the FAA and not regulated by the FAA. Period.

including in DC.

BTW that slowmo video was constructed of insane quantities of pure awesome! I bet that is one very expensive camera.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Last edited by nerys; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,487 Posts
again you want to put your rear on the line to test that statement?
or are you just making noise on an internet forum?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:43 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
further proof that the FAA is overstepping its bounds. FAR 101 makes it very clear model rocket flights are OUTSIDE THE AUTHORITY of the FAA and not regulated by the FAA. Period.

including in DC.

BTW that slowmo video was constructed of insane quantities of pure awesome! I bet that is one very expensive camera.
Never thought about the high powered rockets..
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
He was flying in the most restricted airspace on the planet, if he does it again they shouldn't be so nice.
In the US if you follow 3 simple rules it's likely that you will never even "show up on the radar" in the literal or figurative sense.

1) Fly under 400 feet AGL
2) Stay 3 miles away from airports
3) Stay out of restricted airspace

If you are going to break #1 or #2 you really need to know what you are doing and notify the appropriate people such as the airport tower. If you are going to put something in the air you had better know what else has the legal right of way. Sky maps are freely available on the internet to show the bounds of the various airspaces.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide