HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Discussion
Now illegal to Fly RC planes for Commercial Purposes

Wow it looks like when the FAA rules you will need to be a real pilot to operate for commercial purposes with a small uav plane or quadcopter that sucks.......
gima0503 is offline Find More Posts by gima0503
Last edited by gima0503; Aug 01, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
If it makes you feel better, it's been that way for a long time. Although I don't think anything about requirements to operate commercially is official. It's just illegal...
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:25 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Is the faa American only? Not to sound like a bad guy but im not fully aware of the rules and regs in Canada where i live..... But, if things get tight like it sounds they are in the us. Im flyin anyways, ill just hide in a friggin box and land somewhere else lol. A commercial license cmon thats nuts. I think logically all one should have is a ham license which is simple, and a good idea of common sense. If you crash and destroy property or all of our biggest fear hurt maim or kill someone, then well have to be responsible, and show up in court... Thats my rant lol im going to take some night time aerial pics
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:53 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
462 Posts
FAA is US only, Canada has already set up rules/laws - see other threads
Jim
Jem3 is offline Find More Posts by Jem3
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:51 AM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
914 Posts
how would anyone know if what you are shooting is for "commercial' purposes?

perhaps it's a "hobby". no way to know the difference.
philip frank is offline Find More Posts by philip frank
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:56 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip frank View Post

Have an incident and I think it will quickly be found out.

In Canada there is a $5000 individual and $25,000 corp fine if you do not follow proper SFOC from Transport Canada, part of which requires having liability insurance for UAV use.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Aug 02, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:17 AM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
914 Posts
'indident' or not.

Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,188 Posts
So many bigger fish to fry and they worry about the little guys just trying to make a living. They have so many laws now that they would never have the time or man power to enforce hence why the date keeps getting pushed further and further down the road. I believe every person would just act responsibility and be safe and upfront with what they are doing it would not have been a problem, but it only takes one to screw it up for everybody.

Michael64
Michael64 is online now Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:55 AM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
914 Posts
if a guy is out with a heli and a camera gimbal, it is impossible to determine if he is doing it as a hobby, a favor for someone, or a paid gig.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
As Flitelab says, just have an incident/accident, then folk will get to the bottom of it
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
As Flitelab says, just have an incident/accident, then folk will get to the bottom of it
I've no doubts that the authorities, insurance companies, lawyers, FAA, etc would get to the bottom of things when something bad happens.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:05 PM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
914 Posts
bottom of what? a guy crashing an rc heli. property damage - insurance claim - done.

an rc heli crashes with a camera attached. ok. "it's a hobby". done.

example: you're out taking pictures for the fun of it, which myself and many do. there is an 'incident'. then what?

unless you hit a person, not much is going to happen. that one is easy. don't fly over people.

the 100's of websites across the country advertising ap are still there.
Last edited by philip frank; Aug 02, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined May 2010
956 Posts
It's (as been noted above) illegal. What the FAA would look for if it wanted to pop people for this, is people "Holding Out".

I have seen a few here that set up a fairly big business offering their services that post here. Those are the individuals / business that the FAA will go after if they feel they need to make a point. If they are feeling generous, they may shoot a warning across the bow, but they certainly do not need too, and sometimes don't bother.

I doubt it would be a problem for the average model hobbyist, but to someone that has a lot of published work, and has their name "out there", someone who runs a business doing it, they should be at least a tiny bit nervous. If you advertise your service for aerial pictures, you'll be the first to get a LOI.

I have no idea what exactly you have to have to get approved to get an operators/ operations certificate. Does anyone have a link describing what hoops you have to jump through?
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:28 PM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
914 Posts
seems like not advertising and keeping it a 'side deal' works well. you are correct. they will go after the guys advertising it as a living with a big nice website.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
I have no idea what exactly you have to have to get approved to get an operators/ operations certificate. Does anyone have a link describing what hoops you have to jump through?
Patrick from the RCAPA could fill you in on that but the way I understand it it is next to impossible for a little guy flying a little plane to get certified.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1