Joined Aug 2009
2,825 Posts
New Product
HobbyKing Target Drone - Platform

A new FPV plane just emerged from the deep trenches of HobbyKing:

The Target Drone

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...20mm_ARF_.html

It's another fiberglass FPV model.

Anyway, I learned my lessons from the HK FPV 168 and NOT going to order this one right away.

So who couldn't resist to order it, received it or even has it in the air already?
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
Meh, thinking of just setting it up as a cheap, short-range FPV setup just because it looks so cool. Would be surprised if it's as stable as planes like the Skywalker or the X8.
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
652 Posts
The wings DONT look like they can be removed for transport, once they are attached to the airframe. In the video of the plane on Youtube, the wings are connected with what looks to be a carbon fiber rod.
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:47 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
wings are removable, made of balsa.
I order it and it should be here first days next week... It's just different, I'm always curious about different airplanes... this one looks cool, I love the camera position since what I want to look in a fpv flight is below me and not above me.. I'll keep you updated after the first flight...
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
I order it and it should be here first days next week... It's just different, I'm always curious about different airplanes... this one looks cool, I love the camera position since what I want to look in a fpv flight is below me and not above me.. I'll keep you updated after the first flight...
One thing that most other FPV planes lack is the anti glare hood that the target drone has. Now, granted there isn't usually glare in FPV videos, it's still a nice feature to have.

I'm guessing CG and balancing will be critical with this plane though.
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:54 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Yes it is a nice feature, it works like a little mattebox making the image contrast better, with better shadow, also it's a good place to mount an upside down pan servo...

Another good position for a camera is inside the fusolage (fixed orientation) then you can close the nose hole with a neutral density resin filter to reduce the shutter time of the camera and have much less rolling shutter jello in case of vibrations...

Good or not, it will be good in any case suspended over my living room's table !
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:42 PM
Mexico, GTO, León
Joined Jul 2011
57 Posts
looks really interesting

HobbyKing Daily - Target Drone (1 min 46 sec)
BENJAS is offline Find More Posts by BENJAS
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:48 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
I like it but for the nose gear. It's quite long and thin gauge material. Let's hope it's made from decent stuff.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Nov 2005
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
Please take another look at the description from the hobbyking website. It states the wings are GLUDED to the carbon fiber rod. The wings are not removeable
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:11 AM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
442 Posts
Its only 1520mm wingspan, so even if the wings are fixed it shouldn't be "that" bad, right? Should still fit in the back of your automotive.

The CG on this shouldn't be any more critical than any other sport model planes. I am suspicious that the CG will be a good distance aft of the wing though.

No flaps, so a lighter setup require or can mix in flaperons.

For anyone who has ordered it, do you have a screwdriver long enough to reach the motor mount from the battery hatch? Have a look at that unaccessible distance!!

Not a bad effort, though you can get the same results with a wing kit and some PVC plumbing pipe as the fuselage.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:45 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Yeah, I decided to order one of these "target drones" as well.
It's small, smaller than the scaneagle of years ago, that was 2m wingspan and glided very well. Still got one in the garage.
The motor is a small 20mm brushless outrunner and it is mounted OUTSIDE the fuse, not inside. It will be the same with the target drone, for cooling.
As soon as anyone has a working CofG, post it as it might be a while before my target drone is in the air.
BTW, I hate that name target drone, is someone going to shoot at it or something.
RolandS888 is online now Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
doz
D.O.
Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2004
67 Posts
HK Target Drone

I have gotten mine (HK Target Drone) and have already built it. The wings ARE removable, just like on any glider, and can simply be taped in place when flying, just as we have always done.

BTW: The "anti-glare" isn't a cover for the front hole as I thought but the "hood" or "eyelid" over the hole in front (and is part of) the fuse.

I am going to use a HI MAX 2412-1080 150W motor 3S 2100 LiPo and 9/7 prop. I will use a Sony 600 and 5.8 for video.

This is a very light model and isn't going to require a big motor. I have posted a reply on HK explaining how I determined where to drill for the front landing gear. I guess the HK engineers could not figure it out.

Attached are pix. Not necessarily in order. You'll probably be able to figure it out.
I started thinking about it at 4:20 PM and had it figured out and done by 6PM.
(I'm a slow worker) Any way... check out the pix.
doz is offline Find More Posts by doz
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper
The wings are not removeable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
I have gotten mine... The wings ARE removable....
still some doubt ?

Just use logic man, the carbon fiber passes inside the fuse, if not removable how do they ship it ?
the wing is epoxied around a carbon rod, but the carbon rod wing joiner is another rod.
Last edited by zaguruinzasky; Aug 10, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
I have gotten mine (HK Target Drone) and have already built it.
Doz do you think this airplane can belly land on a normal grass field with a foldable prop ?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:18 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
these look so cool ...I seen a video of this plane , not long back....Really would be a nice smooth fpv plane .(just learnin'..im old) Maybe this one will be also ....
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T