SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
Thanks, very much, to you both!

I tell friends in our hobby about this project by first pantomiming holding the toy plane aloft and saying "When I was a kid, I would hold the toy and shout 'Zoom! Zoom!' as I flew the toy around the house."

Then, I pantomime holding the sticks of my RC transmitter and say, "Now, as an old man, I'm going to hold my transmitter and shout 'Zoom! Zoom!' as I fly the toy around the field."

BarnOwl79 is close enough to come watch a flight. I'll be sure and issue an invitation.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
She is looking great in paint David hope to see your maiden soon. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I estimated the weight. It looks like this.
... that puts the dry airframe at just over 67 g or 2.4 ounce...
Well, I was wrong. The dry airframe weight is sitting at 86 g, painted.

With the 69 g of systems and fittings, I'm looking at an all-up weight of 136 g...

Now, the datasheet for the motors indicates one E-Flight Park 180 is "ideal for sport and scale models" between 85-170 grams and 3D between 85-170g; so, I should still be able to get pretty good performance.

But, you know, that dry weight is still only twice my UM Champ... I wonder if I should try that route...
I must ponder.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Aug 17, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
E-flight is a great motor but i refuse to pay their price ,i would look at HK or headsup rc for a cheaper set of motors and esc's,but then again iam kinda cheap.lol Freddie B is alot cheaper than i will ever be and taught me every thing he knows .lmao
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:52 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
E-flight is a great motor but i refuse to pay their price ,i would look at HK or headsup rc for a cheaper set of motors and esc's,but then again iam kinda cheap.lol Freddie B is alot cheaper than i will ever be and taught me every thing he knows .lmao
I am LMAO! You are next!
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
Lol i did not know you were laying in the weeds again Freddy aint his cargo plane looking good?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
I went ahead and bought two sets of eflight some time ago with the intent of flying this plane for a season and then retiring it to display after conducting a "heart transplant" into to single engine planes. I've used grayson motors to great advantage but I've not had much luck with "off brand" esc's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Lol i did not know you were laying in the weeds again Freddy aint his cargo plane looking good?
Hehehehe.......

And yes, great build so far! Loving the cartoon fatty's a lot!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
I've come down with a sinus infection. Treating it is making me stoopid so, I'm refraining from doing anything with sharp objects or toxic chemicals. I'm sitting and pondering the control runs and making decisions as to servo placement.

I'm considering torque rods for the ailerons.... and, I used the wrong tape for the hinges. I've already removed it and am planning to use strips of mylar instead. It will look better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
I got the control surfaces hinged. My illness has not helped.
Tonight, I began rigging the ailerons. I made a mistake twice tonight, resulting in my ripping out the aileron pushrods and starting over. The adhesives are curing on the third set... I'm almost there.

Perhaps I should go to bed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I got the control surfaces hinged. My illness has not helped.
Tonight, I began rigging the ailerons. I made a mistake twice tonight, resulting in my ripping out the aileron pushrods and starting over. The adhesives are curing on the third set... I'm almost there.

Perhaps I should go to bed.
Man , get some rest and come back to it when you feel better David . I cant build when i dont feel good, it seems like every thing goes wrong when i try. Hope you feel better soon i get the same kind of sinus infection till my face swells up and its time to go get some meds.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
I have the Rx and servos positioned. I've rigged the ailerons and elevator. I'm having to pause the exercise slightly. I'm still not feeling 100% and my son, who has been away for the summer, is returning on Saturday and I'm having to corral all of my construction materials, which for the last two months have filled the dining room; while his bedroom was a storage area. He's going to be a senior in high school, this year, and I've been getting used to empty nesting. He's planning to apply for the US Army Warrant Officer Pilot program/
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
I got the rudder rigged on one side. I'm going to lock the other in neutral until I see if she's going to need them both. The wing is seated with silicone, so I can easily cut it away for repairs. I plugged in an ESC and Battery and everything moves. She's not quite alive yet but I see some progress.

Next comes testing the power train... in search of a good prop for the motor... then, making the necessary "Y" connectors and installing the dual ESCs and motors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
She is looking great David ! I cant wait to see and hear thos twin props spinning . There is nothing like the sound of twins or four four motors . joe
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,911 Posts
I have a test stand built and am beginning to test prop combinations for the power train.
RCG Plus Member