HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:17 AM
Guayaquil- Ecuador
Joined Dec 2008
42 Posts
Discussion
Asg 29 kit from rosenthal 1/3

I just receive last week an ASG 29 6m Rosenthal KIT. This is an almost ARC. The wings are balsa Foam and looks very strong and good finish, also the stab, and ruder.

My main concern is about the fuselage, it comes with two oval not round holes for the sleeve tube. This holes are 1/8 bigger than the OD of the sleeve, in other words, you have to do all the work in align the wings to the fuselage fairings and glue the sleeve tube.

I have tried two methods:
a) Making templates from the wings root with a exact hole for the wing rod, so I can align the templates to the fuselage fairing and fix the sleeve tube with the rod
b) Made a jig where I rest the fuselage and wing assembled together against the bottom of the fairing and wing at the same time.

In both cases the fin is not align perpendicular to the fuselage fairings , it is incline to one side.

Questions?
What should I do, align the wing to the fuselage fairings and glue the sleeve tube leaving the fin incline??
It is possible to straight the fin? It is easy?
What method for align the sleeve tube you think would be more precise?? A or B.

Please waiting for your important comments and suggestion.

Regards
Erwin Peters
erwin peters is offline Find More Posts by erwin peters
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:44 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Erwin, there are multiple ways to handle the situation, Regarding the fin, you may be able to straighten that out. If there is a fin post support already glued in, you may want to cut it loose and force the fin over. I had to do that on a sailplane recently and it worked well.

As for the wings, the easiest method I have used is to jig up the fuse and get the fin vertical. Check the incidence on the stab vs the wing root. When you are satisfied with the alignment of everything, you can add the wings with the wing tube installed through the fuse. Check alignment again and when satisfied, mix an epoxy/cotton flox or milled glass combo and glue in the center tube. Once it has cured, you can remove the wings and finish the gluing process.
Its not that difficult, it takes a little patience and cross checking.

Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions that dont get answered here. There are some excellent builders on these sites who I'm sure will offer some more help.

Good luck and be sure to post your success.

LEN
www.RcAerotowing.com
www.RcAerotowing.com/forum
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:43 AM
Guayaquil- Ecuador
Joined Dec 2008
42 Posts
Hello Len, thanks for your attention to my Forum. Yes you were right about straightening the fin by applying force carefully.
Since the fuselage has not the stab holding screw holes, I will do wings first. (Gluing the sleeve rod with wings aligned to the fuselage and to the fin. After the epoxy has cured, I will do the stabilizer in relation to the wings.
I will post some pictures from the plane later today, and ask you some other question about hardware (not included in the Kit).
And again, I appreciate your time.
Regards
Erwin.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:50 AM
Guayaquil- Ecuador
Joined Dec 2008
42 Posts
this are pictures from the sailplane in Rosenthal before shipping
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:20 AM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
Since the rudder post is not installed yet then your plan is the correct one.....mount the wings to the fuse and get that all done....jig that up level and then work on installing the rudder post so that the fin is at 90 degree's to the wings.
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
A method I have used to apply accurate preasure is to attach a turnbuckle from the top of the fin to the bench, crank it 4% past verticle heat with a bathroom fan heater and then allow to cool for a few hours with a hot box over the base of the fun and a couple of feet up the boom. This way the twisting is more gentle and over a larger area. Leave over nIght and repeat if neccesary. This is how I fixed the twist in my Grob 109.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:12 PM
Canyon Country, California
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
Hi Erwin,

Very Cool.....I just started on my ASW-28 with optional 6 meter tips. I'm fiberglassing the wings with 3/4oz glass then paint.

Scott
marnochs is offline Find More Posts by marnochs
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:01 AM
Guayaquil- Ecuador
Joined Dec 2008
42 Posts
Great Scott, its your a Rosenthal model? and 1/3 scale??; did you get any type of instructions or manual from them.
I received from Rosenthal a retract with shock absorber but I dont have very clear the way to support the shock absorber (something already probed that wont broke), also a canopy scale hinge whit not install instruction at all. I would assume some ways of installing it, but just want to do it an already proved method.

The spare parts are very expensive away.
Regards
Erwin
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:16 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Nice Erwin, it's always easier to install when you already have the parts, if you jump on RC network, you'll find the photos you are looking for.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:49 AM
Canyon Country, California
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
Hi Erwin,

My ASW-28 is a 1:3 Rosenthal ARC with a 4 piece wing. I have the 15m tips along with the 18m tips. I think its probably the same wing except for the flaps of your ASG29. Mine didn't come with instructions.
I've been looking at other sailplane build threads to come up with mountings for the wheel. Took some pictures of Asher Carmichael's ASH31 1:3 Rosenthal
Also note the gear door closing spring setup

I'll have to get the canopy mount and wing tip wheels - they didn't have thoes yet. As far as mounting - off to the internet to see if some one esle has done it yet
I was looking through RC-Network.de but didn't see any build threads specific to the ASW28/29.

Scott
marnochs is offline Find More Posts by marnochs
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:21 AM
Guayaquil- Ecuador
Joined Dec 2008
42 Posts
Hello, I am planning how to hold the wings attached to the fuselage.
The monoblocks retainer is somehow a mechanism that what the pins in the wings go through the fuselage, a spring/lock mechanism actuates and locks the wing pin and for release you just pull it back??... Is the wing pin just screw in the wood rib? I am just guessing from what a receive a similar device in a graupner discus.
I was thinking to use per wing one nylon bolt to hold the wings to the fuselage but since there is not chance to place a blind nut I was planning to use thread insert in the wing wood rib. Do you think it will hold ok?????
Regards
Erwin Peters
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:29 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Hi Erwin,
Another way to fasten the wings is to drill a hole for the bolt in the WING root, thread it, then mix up a thick epoxy/micro balloon mix and smear it in the hole, insert a clean metal bolt into the hold and place the wing root down so the epoxy mix will cover the bolt.
Then when bolting on the wings, you put a wingnut inside the plane and you are not continually threading into the wing root. If you make the epoxy mix thick, it will help form a mounting point.

Just one of many ways.

LEN
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
Guayaquil- Ecuador
Joined Dec 2008
42 Posts
Hello friends, maybe you can give some ideas how to do follow matters:
I have the stab but with two independent elevators they are already hinges so the only solution I can find is to make a square C from steel wire and soldering a brass horn, but I will have to cut slots in the stab center and elevator, is the only solution to do it??? Also I have this canopy hinge from Rosenthal but not quite sure how to install it, anyone have something similar maybe a picture to illustrate me??

Regards
Erwin
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
Use 2 servos for the elevator.....one each side with a plug in the top of the fin so when you mount the elevator/stab it plugs in.
http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/sh...-Discus/page10 start at post #95.....
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:39 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,165 Posts
straightening the fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwin peters View Post
I just receive last week an ASG 29 6m Rosenthal KIT. This is an almost ARC. The wings are balsa Foam and looks very strong and good finish, also the stab, and ruder.

My main concern is about the fuselage, it comes with two oval not round holes for the sleeve tube. This holes are 1/8 bigger than the OD of the sleeve, in other words, you have to do all the work in align the wings to the fuselage fairings and glue the sleeve tube.

I have tried two methods:
a) Making templates from the wings root with a exact hole for the wing rod, so I can align the templates to the fuselage fairing and fix the sleeve tube with the rod
b) Made a jig where I rest the fuselage and wing assembled together against the bottom of the fairing and wing at the same time.

In both cases the fin is not align perpendicular to the fuselage fairings , it is incline to one side.

Questions?
What should I do, align the wing to the fuselage fairings and glue the sleeve tube leaving the fin incline??
It is possible to straight the fin? It is easy?
What method for align the sleeve tube you think would be more precise?? A or B.
Please waiting for your important comments and suggestion.

Regards
Erwin Peters
Erwin, if the fuse is wet layed epoxy it should be possibel to twist the tail boom to get the fin back perpendicular.
The method is to wrap cloth around the fuse boom say half way between the wing and tail then pore boiling water over the cloth. Wait a bit to heat soak then twist the boom to the right position, remove the cloth and let it cool. It works because most epoxies go to plastic state at about 70 degrees C. A good reason to paint sailplanes white. There is a chance the surface will look a little rough after this. usually a diagonal pattern comes up so some refinishing and pehaps a band of colour in this location will tidy it up. I've done this a couple of times successfully in the past.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1