SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:01 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,377 Posts
Build Log
Robbe - Nine Eagles Sky Surfer 780mm with sailplane graphics

I ordered the new Nine Eagles Sky Surfer with 780mm wing span (also marketed by Robbe in Germany) from the HK warehouse in WA, USA, this little sailplane is tiny! OMG. All my sailplanes have wingspans of at least 2m so this little baby is going to take a bit of getting used to.

From the get go, I wanted to add some of my european style sailplane stickers http://kewlartdesigns.com and give this a semi-scale appearance. This Surfer looks like a cross between a DG-1000, ASW-17 and Radian (If you squint real hard there is a scale look there somewhere). So I decided to make it look more like an ASW-17 with the lower elevator.

More photos, details read on...
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 01, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:56 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,377 Posts
Nine Eagles Sky Surfer 780mm sailplane packaging photos.

Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:02 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,377 Posts
Added my http://kewlartdesigns.com sailplane graphic stickers ( I used some extra 2 meter sailplane stickers I had laying around and printed some out on the ink jet, clear laminate over for now ). I will have a PDF available in Suisse, German and UK registry on the website soon.

Painted wing tips and underside of wing with Krylon Short Cuts pepper red.

Cheers, Thompson

Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:06 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,377 Posts
First modification before maiden flight was to secure the wing servo wires to the wing. These need to be be recessed into the foam and secured. Certainly a lot of movement with the wire, just fiddling with getting the wing on and off once was an indication it needed securing.

I cut a small channel and put in a few drops of CA at the plug end, then placed a piece of clear tape over.

Cheers, Thompson

Note: red dots on wing indicate CoG.

Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:59 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,377 Posts
Maiden flight photos, at dusk under setting sun and a full moon on its way up. Great little sailplane, glides really well.

NOTE: Sky Surfer is ABOVE the Radian

Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
Hi studioRS,
This is really good little smart glider. I would say very nice for beginner as me. I made a lot flights also with the keychain camera in CG, but now I have problem with the servo of the elevator oscillation and also aileron servo. When I made a test range it works and suddenly no reaction, the red light on RX is poor solid and no reaction when I moved stickers on the TX. Last landing was without control but fortunatelly I was line up on the final approach and landed save and sound. One time I had slight dirty landing the wing was disconnected from fuss and also from servo, but after check it works and it flys without problems. Now it is getting worse and worse. I tried also to bind it again and again, doesn`t help.
Pepo is offline Find More Posts by Pepo
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:50 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepo View Post
Hi studioRS,
This is really good little smart glider. I would say very nice for beginner as me. I made a lot flights also with the keychain camera in CG, but now I have problem with the servo of the elevator oscillation and also aileron servo. When I made a test range it works and suddenly no reaction, the red light on RX is poor solid and no reaction when I moved stickers on the TX. Last landing was without control but fortunatelly I was line up on the final approach and landed save and sound. One time I had slight dirty landing the wing was disconnected from fuss and also from servo, but after check it works and it flys without problems. Now it is getting worse and worse. I tried also to bind it again and again, doesn`t help.
If your original Nine Eagles Rx and Tx radio isn't working right I would think about first replacing the Rx brick.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19272

If you have another Tx (like Spektrum DX6i) upgrading is an option too, you could remove the complete original radio and motor and replace with brushless motor with micro servos and micro Rx.

- Hobby King 1811 - 2000kv 10g micro brushless motor
- Zippy 2S, 350mAh 20C
- HK R415 OrangeRx, DSM2
- HK 5320 1.7g servos x 3
- TowerPro 9g w12A ESC
- Graupner Cam 4,7x2,4 folding prop

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1592502

Or you could purchase another BNF Surfer from Hobby King, this would be about the same cost.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:44 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,377 Posts
Made a clear, more scale looking canopy with pilot.

Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
Hi again,
Thanks for advice. You`re right the DX6i upgrade is the best solution, but I love the practical thing to have a independent Tx in one box, simply to take it on shoulder and go to the place. Fortunatelly I have also Sky500 and today was very calm fo flying her. I like these size RTfs. I have to study the threads about this topic. Have a good landings!
Pepo is offline Find More Posts by Pepo
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:43 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepo View Post
Hi again,
Thanks for advice. You`re right the DX6i upgrade is the best solution, but I love the practical thing to have a independent Tx in one box, simply to take it on shoulder and go to the place. Fortunatelly I have also Sky500 and today was very calm fo flying her. I like these size RTfs. I have to study the threads about this topic. Have a good landings!
You are welcome! Yes, handy to have small Tx and sailplane in back of car for easy flying. I will fly until parts need to be replaced then upgrade to brushless and use my DX6i with micro servos.

I ordered the Turnigy Plush 6A ESC, 1811 brushless motor and small 5.5x3.3 folding propellers, waiting for Orange 415 Rx and 5320 servos to come in stock.