HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:40 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
I'm really enjoying FPV with this plane. Today it was perfectly calm and I could let go of the controls and it felt like the Bixler 2 was on autopilot. I have a very simple system consisting of a 600mw immersionrc tx and Sony 600TVL board camera. I'm using the built in receiver in the goggles and it works great. I've only gone out to 600m (So many 600's lol), but the video is still perfectly clear. The only problem is that the stock turnigy 9x receiver doesn't have a satellite so the control link drops out sometimes for a fraction of a second.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:43 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
What I really don't understand is why Hobbyking released a Bixler 1.1! That doesn't make any sense since the Bixler 2 was supposed to be the improved version. They should have at least called it the Bixler 3 so it would be less confusing.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
I'm really enjoying FPV with this plane. Today it was perfectly calm and I could let go of the controls and it felt like the Bixler 2 was on autopilot. I have a very simple system consisting of a 600mw immersionrc tx and Sony 600TVL board camera. I'm using the built in receiver in the goggles and it works great. I've only gone out to 600m (So many 600's lol), but the video is still perfectly clear. The only problem is that the stock turnigy 9x receiver doesn't have a satellite so the control link drops out sometimes for a fraction of a second.
Buy a FrSky tx/tx set from hobbyking, the one I got has a diversity rx

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8FR_II_RX.html
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:08 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
Buy a FrSky tx/tx set from hobbyking, the one I got has a diversity rx

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8FR_II_RX.html
I'm using the turnigy receivers in a bunch of other planes so I would probably get another tx without a module and put in the frsky just for fpv. One question though, why does the frsky system seem to get the best range when the output power is only 60mw (according to hobbyking)? The orange module is rated at 100mw, but I don't think anyone uses that for fpv.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:22 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
What I really don't understand is why Hobbyking released a Bixler 1.1! That doesn't make any sense since the Bixler 2 was supposed to be the improved version. They should have at least called it the Bixler 3 so it would be less confusing.

The original Bixler 1 has a smaller 1.4 meter wing span and simple 4 channel control scheme, whereas, the B2 is larger at 1.5 meters span and 5 channel + controls with flaps, so completely different models, I'm glad they continue to offer both versions.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Katerini
Joined Jun 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
I'm using the turnigy receivers in a bunch of other planes so I would probably get another tx without a module and put in the frsky just for fpv. One question though, why does the frsky system seem to get the best range when the output power is only 60mw (according to hobbyking)? The orange module is rated at 100mw, but I don't think anyone uses that for fpv.
better software
theo_mich is offline Find More Posts by theo_mich
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
The original Bixler 1 has a smaller 1.4 meter wing span and simple 4 channel control scheme, whereas, the B2 is larger at 1.5 meters span and 5 channel + controls with flaps, so completely different models, I'm glad they continue to offer both versions.
I get what you're saying but I think the two are almost exactly the same. The new Bixler 1.1 is 4ch, but so is the Bixler 2 if you don't put in the flaps. The 1.1 also includes the larger prop of the BX2. Maybe 10cm difference in wingspan is noticeable but I doubt it. It's strange to have both, but we're talking about Hobbyking after all.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Mate, be very careful flying cheap stock 2.4 rc, especially with a 600mw vTx blasting away, hate to see you lose your plane it isn't a question of if, but when you'll lose rc link. If you go frsky get a 1 watt argtek booster and you'll safely achieve 2km. I've been out 3.5km on boosted frsky, mate of mine has been 4.5km, and both of us with 5.8/200mw HK video using clover leaf/ skew planner video antennas
Don't fly with your booster on while anyone else nearby is flying non-booster 2.4rc, you'll risk shooting their plane down

I've lost a plane flying fpv with stock 2.4 rc, sooner or later you'll lose all control.

Another good thing with frsky is that the telemetry beeps at you when the rc link gets weaker, before you lose rc link, it isn't perfect but I've found it invaluable while flying with goggles on.

Regardless, always maintain clear LOS with 2.4 rc... don't ask me how I know...:$
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Is the booster necessary? I've read that people go over 2km without one.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
That's why I run 3M Extreme tape the length of the wings on the bottom (at least). For the foam wings that I do much outside maneuvers with I run it down the top as well. Adds considerable strength - surprising how much.
Interesting that it broke at the end of the spar.
Scott - 3M Extreme packing tape (with the fibres in it) or the 3M Extreme acrylic sealing tape? I assume the former.
AlThuban is online now Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:18 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThuban View Post
Interesting that it broke at the end of the spar.
Scott - 3M Extreme packing tape (with the fibres in it) or the 3M Extreme acrylic sealing tape? I assume the former.
Extreme Packing.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:20 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Have a look at this thread (if you haven't been there already):

Also check your CoG (battery position) especially after a crash - in the video it seems it could possibly be off.

Happy landings
+1
Nick - another tip is don't launch "up". Launch "flat", ie horizontally, at least until you know what it can do.
AlThuban is online now Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined May 2010
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Is the booster necessary? I've read that people go over 2km without one.
I've done some pretty dumb stuff at times (all in the name of fun, of course ) but there is no way in this world I would risk losing my plane to stretch the limits on stock 2.4 rc, knowing full well that at some point, some time, I will lose rc link.
Sure you could use an RTH equipped OSD, but 2km on stock 2.4 is not going to be reliable nor dependable.
And at 2km on stock 2.4 rc, I'd reckon there'd be directional antennas involved, and I fly with goggles for immersive fpv so I would have issues knowing where to point the patch antenna

I use the booster to know full well that I have a solid rc link that is pretty much range matched to 5.8/200 with CL/SPW out to 2km without question.
If you happen to drop behind trees at 2km, even 1km, there's a very good chance there wont be a happy ending (on stock 2.4)
3 months ago or so, I was hugging the ground doing some low level fun flying on what I thought was a large flat paddock... approx 600 metres away I inadvertantly hugged the ground a little too much behind a rise in the ground... had video until a split second before impact, I watched helplessly through the goggles while 2.4 rc was totally lost. And that was with a booster. It is the nature of 2.4ghz, must always be LOS, and the more distance you gain, the more important this is.
Excepting my scale birds (I only fly them less than 1km, and cautiously) now I only fly fpv with uhf rc, problem solved.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined May 2010
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThuban View Post
+1
Nick - another tip is don't launch "up". Launch "flat", ie horizontally, at least until you know what it can do.
and you dont need to run, just a healthy throw, flat as AlThuban said
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Dec 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Have a look at this thread (if you haven't been there already):

Also check your CoG (battery position) especially after a crash - in the video it seems it could possibly be off.

Happy landings
Thanks mike_o. I did read that thread - unfortunately after my first flight. Heading back out today, going to take these rules to heart and get my CoG set before I head out.
RadioNick is offline Find More Posts by RadioNick