Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Better hurry if you want one, only 6 left right now, USA Warehouse:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6-B84A222AFF8D

The last 3 kits are left.......counting. Get it now or cry later.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:33 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
3 now. I got mine.
Like they say....THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM!!! LOL!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletap View Post
like they say....the early bird gets the worm!!! Lol!:d
gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ampdchaos is online now Find More Posts by ampdchaos
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Every wonder what would happen if you put over 550 watts (48a on 3s) into a Bixler 2, one word, flutter.

I've had the kit sitting there for over a week and couldn't wait for the proper sized motor to arrive, so I committed to the build with the big motor with a custom mount.

It flew really well at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle considering the weight, but above half throttle it would start to flutter to the point where I'd lose all aileron control, also I think the down thrust made the elevator ineffective. Long story short, I totally lost it mid turn and she spiralled into the dirt, I'm just glad I hadn't put all the FPV gear in it while the fuse was in 2 halves like I was planning to.

It's fixable, but not today

Motor: NTM 35-36a 1800kv
Prop 7x6
Battery 5000mhA 3s (mainly for balance)
mixed is offline Find More Posts by mixed
Last edited by mixed; Nov 03, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
The last 3 kits are left.......counting. Get it now or cry later.
I ALMOST ordered one last night, but then thought...let me think about what else I need for my kit...and put it off till today. Now I'm crying

I snoozed and lost. Hopefully they will be re-stocked soon (I set up email notification, and will buy instantly next time). Wow! I think they had those in for less than 24 hrs?
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:34 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
I'm having trouble getting the cg correct when using a 2600mah 3s battery. With the battery backed against the bump, the cg is still 3.5 cm rather than 6.5 cm. Even if the bump didn't exist, I would still have the problem of not being able to move the electronics farther back. The plastic tubes for the screws block off a lot of area. I probably will have to add weight to the tail even though I hate having dead weight.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:53 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
I'm having trouble getting the cg correct when using a 2600mah 3s battery. With the battery backed against the bump, the cg is still 3.5 cm rather than 6.5 cm. Even if the bump didn't exist, I would still have the problem of not being able to move the electronics farther back. The plastic tubes for the screws block off a lot of area. I probably will have to add weight to the tail even though I hate having dead weight.
Move one of your servos to the rear and cut a hatch in the side to help you remove the foremost tube (you'll only need one half the size of mine) Then join wings with Velcro. Hopefully these pics if my build will assist:
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Hi all, does anyone have any advice on rates and expo for my first flight, using a DX8 tx?
Thanks in advance
Nick
NickWilliams is offline Find More Posts by NickWilliams
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:54 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
Move one of your servos to the rear and cut a hatch in the side to help you remove the foremost tube (you'll only need one half the size of mine) Then join wings with Velcro. Hopefully these pics if my build will assist:
Well I flew it anyway despite the cg issue, but the bixler 2 didn't care. It hardly needed any up trim on the elevator even when I added my FPV equipment. I'm amazed at how well this plane flies! I may do your mod in the future, but for now the plane is fine.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:55 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
FWIW here's my 2nd attempt at a Bix2, this time kit form so I can do a proper install

~Removed the screw tubes (I use retainer pin & clip to hold the wings together)
~Rudder/elev servos mounted half way out the tail boom. My first Bix2 I mounted them at the tail, this time I'll try with them a lttle closer in so hopefully I wont need flight lipo as far fwd to counter balance
~2 small hatches gives plenty of access to the ESC/rcRx and vTx lipo/OSD wiring
Vents:
~each side where the original servo arns poked through the fuse sides
~1 on top in front of the cockpit, original underside scoop will be taped closed (last B2 the vent under the front gave no end of frustration with dirt etc being scooped in- ridiculous place for a vent on a belly lander IMHO
~1 at rear/top of tail boom where rcRx antenna runs out
The 3 fwd vents will have fwd facing scoops so airspeed will force air in
The rear vent will have rear facing scoop which will suck out air by venturi effect from air speed and prop wash
~The motor nacelle vent/scoop will also have air going down into the fuselage, this air will pass over the esc for cooling, I have removed a small amount of the heatshrink off the esc to aid cooling. This isnt a fast flying setup so it should run cool enough anyway

all sounds good in theory, proof will be in the tasting of the flying pudding
Hope this throws more ideas into the think tank
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:20 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixed View Post
Every wonder what would happen if you put over 550 watts (48a on 3s) into a Bixler 2, one word, flutter.
Motor: NTM 35-36a 1800kv
Prop 7x6
Battery 5000mhA 3s (mainly for balance)
Well, now we know what the upper limit is. (ouch). Interesting, especially knowing that full size aircraft can encounter the same issue. That makes me think that those wanting lots of power are better off with a V-70, or something similar, which was designed from the ground up for that kind of power.
I hope you get her back together and flying again soon.
AlThuban is online now Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixed View Post

I've had the kit sitting there for over a week and couldn't wait for the proper sized motor to arrive, so I committed to the build with the big motor with a custom mount.
Not a nice thing to see you r plane to lose control and nose down. Sorry about thatm . what ESC were you using?

MIk
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
50A hobbyking sbec with a 4a bec. I'll have it back in one piece by the end of today and I'll stick that motor on the fpv raptor.
mixed is offline Find More Posts by mixed
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
FWIW here's my 2nd attempt at a Bix2, this time kit form so I can do a proper install

~Removed the screw tubes (I use retainer pin & clip to hold the wings together)
~Rudder/elev servos mounted half way out the tail boom. My first Bix2 I mounted them at the tail, this time I'll try with them a lttle closer in so hopefully I wont need flight lipo as far fwd to counter balance
~2 small hatches gives plenty of access to the ESC/rcRx and vTx lipo/OSD wiring
Vents:
~each side where the original servo arns poked through the fuse sides
~1 on top in front of the cockpit, original underside scoop will be taped closed (last B2 the vent under the front gave no end of frustration with dirt etc being scooped in- ridiculous place for a vent on a belly lander IMHO
~1 at rear/top of tail boom where rcRx antenna runs out
The 3 fwd vents will have fwd facing scoops so airspeed will force air in
The rear vent will have rear facing scoop which will suck out air by venturi effect from air speed and prop wash
~The motor nacelle vent/scoop will also have air going down into the fuselage, this air will pass over the esc for cooling, I have removed a small amount of the heatshrink off the esc to aid cooling. This isnt a fast flying setup so it should run cool enough anyway

all sounds good in theory, proof will be in the tasting of the flying pudding
Hope this throws more ideas into the think tank
Always nice to see some build / installation pics.
M.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Is it my Bix 2 that looses all the skids after 10 landings or does it happen to everyone?
I have already glued the big skid twice and lost the tail skid somewhere in the grass.
I hope the rest will hold together in the future
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci