HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:22 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
R.T.K.F, i installed a motor i had lying, it was a Turnigy 2826-6 with a Apc 6x4 prop. I have to change the servos on the ailerons, because they were binding at 80-100% power. I found that out when i made a turn, and the ailerons didnt go back to neutral but continued to hold the banking. So i cut the throttle and did some automatic spirals, but no harm done. So a lower kv motor with a bigger prop or changing the servos will be the next thing to do. But it flew very nice on 45% throttle so a little throttle control will solve this.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:13 AM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3 View Post
R.T.K.F, i installed a motor i had lying, it was a Turnigy 2826-6 with a Apc 6x4 prop. I have to change the servos on the ailerons, because they were binding at 80-100% power. I found that out when i made a turn, and the ailerons didnt go back to neutral but continued to hold the banking. So i cut the throttle and did some automatic spirals, but no harm done. So a lower kv motor with a bigger prop or changing the servos will be the next thing to do. But it flew very nice on 45% throttle so a little throttle control will solve this.
cheers iceman, have them in stock..
R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:42 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
R.T.K.F. great, just be careful at full throttle, the servos on my B2 was binding and she kept on rolling/spiralling until i cut the throttle. As mentioned a little throttle management and all is good.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:45 AM
Unregistered User
Australia, VIC, Knoxfield
Joined Oct 2008
1,565 Posts
Can anybody else comment on the motor power?..........Iceman did you have a crook motor or they all underpowered?...............would putting the Bixler 1 motor in it work?
Sticky Mickey is offline Find More Posts by Sticky Mickey
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:55 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I suppose the motor from the B1 would work but give the increased size and weight of this one, it would probably not perform well.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,700 Posts
Mine just arrived today, and the epoxy for the tail is now setting, so I have a bit of time to list out my observations (in no particular order).
  1. Packing is nicely done. No major damage, unlike my Dynamic S which came with bent wingtips . We'll cross that bridge when we get to it...
  2. The ailerons are not hinged, they're foam. Detach the aileron control horns and work them back and forth to loosen the hinge. It's not too stiff, though.
  3. The rudder had too much foam on one side and would not give even throws. Knife fixed that.
  4. The control horns are not centered over the hinge line. Can't be bothered to fix it now, I just want to see how it flies before I decide whether I want to keep it.
  5. Speaking of control horns, they're the kind that you poke through foam and use another plastic piece to back. They're flimsily, thin, and I think there's very little glue holding them in place. Maybe I should fix it now in case one falls off .
  6. The flaps are very flimsily attached to the wing by a small tab, and are hinged with a combination of foam and hinge. No idea how they manufactured it like that.
  7. No flap servos are included. You have to provide your own. There are flap control horns, and clevises, and rods. Just no servos.
  8. The foam feels... smoother?... than my Sky Surfer. It could just be me.
  9. The prop... ugh, the prop. Really thin and flimsy. Replaced it with an APC 7x5E straightaway.
  10. Prop clearance with the rear fuselage is tiny - about 5mm. If a crash flexes the fuselage the wrong way, it's going to cut it. I can bend the fuselage to that position by hand!
  11. Oodles of space in the fuselage, but I wish it came in two halves. There is a lot of space under the wing area and behind it that could be used to house stuff (like satellites, for instance). What a waste!
  12. There are plastic skid plates on the bottom of the fuselage which are wholly inadequate for belly landing on grass.

Flying it on the weekend, will let you guys know how it flies compared to my olde Sky Surfer.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:37 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
sticky Mickey, my motorshaft seemed ok. I t was not crooked. The thing with this motor is that it would be nice on a smaller lighter plane with different wings and the prop in the front so that you could run an 8x4 or 8x6 prop. As in the video, my B2 didnt by far fly that fast with such agility. Mine felt slow and sluggish. I swapped out the motor and everything is fine now.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
porcia, the B1 motor is better than the B2, no question about it, but why bother to use that when you can use many other cheap better motors with the new kind of motormount?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
What is the largest diameter propeller that can be used on the B2 without having to clearance the tail boom?
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3 View Post
porcia, the B1 motor is better than the B2, no question about it, but why bother to use that when you can use many other cheap better motors with the new kind of motormount?
interesting, I didn't realize that. I agree though, for this type of application there are tons of good motors our there for around $20.00
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
What is the largest diameter propeller that can be used on the B2 without having to clearance the tail boom?
I've seen a few people mention the 7 x5 just barely clears the boom. On my first one I bumped up the prop size and notched out a small part of the boom, then put CF rods on the side and bottom for rigidity. Never had issues with flex, and I beat that plane like it owed me money.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
I've seen a few people mention the 7 x5 just barely clears the boom. On my first one I bumped up the prop size and notched out a small part of the boom, then put CF rods on the side and bottom for rigidity. Never had issues with flex, and I beat that plane like it owed me money.

OK, that's good, because I plan to run my B2 on 2S 2200 mah which is my standard EZ Style model battery, but I will most likely need to prop up to an 8" prop to develop enough power from 2S.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
why not go with a 3s?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
why not go with a 3s?

I use 2S on all of these for lowest wing loading for best power off soaring performance.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Mine just arrived today, and the epoxy for the tail is now setting, so I have a bit of time to list out my observations (in no particular order).
  1. Packing is nicely done. No major damage, unlike my Dynamic S which came with bent wingtips . We'll cross that bridge when we get to it...
  2. The ailerons are not hinged, they're foam. Detach the aileron control horns and work them back and forth to loosen the hinge. It's not too stiff, though.
  3. The rudder had too much foam on one side and would not give even throws. Knife fixed that.
  4. The control horns are not centered over the hinge line. Can't be bothered to fix it now, I just want to see how it flies before I decide whether I want to keep it.
  5. Speaking of control horns, they're the kind that you poke through foam and use another plastic piece to back. They're flimsily, thin, and I think there's very little glue holding them in place. Maybe I should fix it now in case one falls off .
  6. The flaps are very flimsily attached to the wing by a small tab, and are hinged with a combination of foam and hinge. No idea how they manufactured it like that.
  7. No flap servos are included. You have to provide your own. There are flap control horns, and clevises, and rods. Just no servos.
  8. The foam feels... smoother?... than my Sky Surfer. It could just be me.
  9. The prop... ugh, the prop. Really thin and flimsy. Replaced it with an APC 7x5E straightaway.
  10. Prop clearance with the rear fuselage is tiny - about 5mm. If a crash flexes the fuselage the wrong way, it's going to cut it. I can bend the fuselage to that position by hand!
  11. Oodles of space in the fuselage, but I wish it came in two halves. There is a lot of space under the wing area and behind it that could be used to house stuff (like satellites, for instance). What a waste!
  12. There are plastic skid plates on the bottom of the fuselage which are wholly inadequate for belly landing on grass.

Flying it on the weekend, will let you guys know how it flies compared to my olde Sky Surfer.
That doesn't sound really nice. How about the canopy transparency? Is it good enough to put a camera behind?

Looking forward to flight report.
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o