HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
That's right, Bixler 2 bare airframe kits now in stock at the HK USA warehouse, they should sell out quickly, get them quickly:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

woot got myself a spare..
ampdchaos is offline Find More Posts by ampdchaos
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdchaos View Post
woot got myself a spare..
its already getting down to the red counter

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...6-B84A222AFF8D
ampdchaos is offline Find More Posts by ampdchaos
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:48 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
654 Posts
Bixler2 in stock USA warehouse

Hi,
Just a heads up. HK has the Bixler2 in stock in the USA ware house (~$50.00). I just ordered two. Shipping was ($50). too much.

farmetom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:07 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblk View Post
Picked up mine today from a hobby store in Camden Town, 5.00 for two lengths so should have enough for other projects...As point of interest can the access hatch that you have cut be smaller and still retain the ability to remove the plastic tubes, not sure how they are fixed and I did not want to mess about with the support rods on the side of the fuse if possible! Great build blog by the way, has enabled me to visulise the build and proceed with confidence as I am relatively new to the modification side of RC.
Those tubes at the side don't do much for the stiffness of the fuselage, they're just for the push rods.

I guess it could have been smaller, but the hatch is future proof as I intend on putting APM 2.5 in there
CorporalB is online now Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Has anyone tried to make wooden fpv camera mount for bixler 2? I've started to draw one today and noticed that in bixler 2 bottom of the canopy is curved, so it is quite complicated to replicate using plywood, so it would be interesting to see how people thought about it.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:30 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
Has anyone tried to make wooden fpv camera mount for bixler 2? I've started to draw one today and noticed that in bixler 2 bottom of the canopy is curved, so it is quite complicated to replicate using plywood, so it would be interesting to see how people thought about it.
that curved part is such a bummer... I was thinking about cutting it out so it was straight and my Bixler1 mount would fit... but ended up buying 2 spare foam canopies instead... they're pretty tough and sturdy anyway, at 5 posted to UK for 2 of them, it's much cheaper to hack one of these up than the fuselage itself

if you do manage to make a good wood one for the B2 though, let us know
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
Hi. I made one and it works fine. See page 64, posting 952. It is made out of 3mm light ply and 13mm light square balsa.
M.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:12 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
421 Posts
maidened the bixler 2 today (when the rain eventually decided to stay away), flaps worked a treat, this thing launches itself lol.

things to do before next flight:

- put 4mm rod into existing spar
- mix some elevator down with the flaps
- reinforce bottom of the fuse with tape (already getting a bit scratched)
- re-glue and tape the nose back together (no real damage, the glue failed on a rough landing so the natural split of the 2 halves has opened up the nose... easy fix)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
maidened the bixler 2 today (when the rain eventually decided to stay away), flaps worked a treat, this thing launches itself lol.

things to do before next flight:

- put 4mm rod into existing spar
- mix some elevator down with the flaps
- reinforce bottom of the fuse with tape (already getting a bit scratched)
- re-glue and tape the nose back together (no real damage, the glue failed on a rough landing so the natural split of the 2 halves has opened up the nose... easy fix)
Hi Corp.
Pleased your maidened went well. Too windy here for any flying. Did you go FPV or LOS?
I think putting tape on the underside of the fuz is a good idea. I usually iron on pieces of A4 thermal laminating sheets. You can pick up 100 A4 pockets for a few Pounds and will last you a lifetime. At 75mic thickness it is a little heavy but strong and transparant once ironed on. ( Tight Yorkshireman)
M.
I also mixed in some down elevator.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:02 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
421 Posts
Both lol, FPV and LOS.

I did the LOS with all the FPV gear on and my goggles on top of my head.... went so well and trimmed it out good enough that I was confident enough to land and pop the goggles down.

very happy man today
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
Both lol, FPV and LOS.

I did the LOS with all the FPV gear on and my goggles on top of my head.... went so well and trimmed it out good enough that I was confident enough to land and pop the goggles down.

very happy man today
Great when the day goes well.
Still waiting for motor from HK, once installed will fly with Gopro to get some arial footage.
Still reading up on FPV, can't wait to get started. A lot of gear to choose from and for a newbee to FPV, very hard to choose what set up. As I have 2.4GHz radio gear I was thinking of going down the 5.8 GHz route. Short range I know but being restricted to LOS it should do.
Have been looking at Fatshark full systems and later FY31AP gear.
M.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:51 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Great when the day goes well.
Still waiting for motor from HK, once installed will fly with Gopro to get some arial footage.
Still reading up on FPV, can't wait to get started. A lot of gear to choose from and for a newbee to FPV, very hard to choose what set up. As I have 2.4GHz radio gear I was thinking of going down the 5.8 GHz route. Short range I know but being restricted to LOS it should do.
Have been looking at Fatshark full systems and later FY31AP gear.
M.
I bought this... never looked back. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28342

I've since swapped to UHF control and 2.4GHz for Video, you can simply buy the 2.4Ghz module for the goggles. I can get a bit further much safer now. UHF gives you that confidence you need to slightly push your boundaries and your spotters... erm... spotting ability lol. UHF is not all about long range, out of LOS flying, not for me anyway.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:06 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
ALERT!! Bixler 2 Kit almost soldout at USA warehouse!

Better hurry if you want one, only 6 left right now, USA Warehouse:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6-B84A222AFF8D
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:26 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3 View Post
Scott Page, i just wondered about you mix for flaps/crow in the 9x tx. I want to connect the flaps to a switch so that i can dial the flaps +100 . -100 for effective lift/gliding. I have now programmed a switch for downflaps but i want to be able to adjust them in flight.
Do you have the stock firmware -- or did you upgrade to er9x? If you have the stock firmware -- I have no idea. If you have upgraded to er9x firmware - -I can send you a file with the mixes.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:30 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Better hurry if you want one, only 6 left right now, USA Warehouse:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6-B84A222AFF8D
3 now. I got mine.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page