HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Isn't anybody using CA? I've never had it come loose with foam on foam. Super light, easy to apply, bonds the foam.
Surehold Plastic Surgery Glue will do the job of glueing Aluminum to EPO.
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Last edited by sotog; Oct 29, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
518 Posts
Latest FPV Flying

Requiem For A Dream - 3.5km GoPro FPV Flown With Dragon Link (9 min 19 sec)
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:39 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreDal View Post
I have just tested the stock motor in a watt meter, and pulls only 11A with 100% throttle and 7x5 prop. My batt is a nano-tech 2200mAh 3S 35~70C.

Next step is mount my new motor (2628-6 2200kV) with a 7x4 prop and do some new tests.
Before you do all that, get a Watt Meter. Otherwise, you are risking a fire (or worse).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:17 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
Love videos with great production value, beautiful views for sure. Hate to be a buzzkill though, looks like you were flying out of line of site, no spotter, and over some pretty densely populated areas including busy streets with traffic. You're risking an awful lot if god forbids something happens. FPV is fighting an uphill battle to be accepted as a viable part of this hobby, this kind of video might not help the effort, even more so if it crashes.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
What a beautiful location for FPV. I'm very envious
Yeah thanks, this was actually the first time I just had fun, not worrying too much about stuff.

Based on some recommendations in this thread I ordered and installed this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12920 motor, but I have to say, it feels like I have even less power now. I'm using a 7x5e prop still on 3s. Would a 7x6 change things a bit?
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:12 PM
Brazil, GO, Goi‚nia
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Before you do all that, get a Watt Meter. Otherwise, you are risking a fire (or worse).
AJ
Yeah, I have one. And some Trust 55A ESC, that can handle in excess this motor.
AndreDal is offline Find More Posts by AndreDal
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:39 PM
|Taranis|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Love videos with great production value, beautiful views for sure. Hate to be a buzzkill though, looks like you were flying out of line of site, no spotter, and over some pretty densely populated areas including busy streets with traffic. You're risking an awful lot if god forbids something happens. FPV is fighting an uphill battle to be accepted as a viable part of this hobby, this kind of video might not help the effort, even more so if it crashes.
It's unfortunate -- but you are exactly right. Both Privacy and Safety are compromised when flying cameras in urban environments. The public does not have a sense of humor about this and most consider it a violation of their right to privacy. If they are right or wrong is not the issue -- Perception is the issue. The FAA is still gunning at the hobby even after Congress gave them what appeared to me to be a clear back off message.
The public needs to be convinced that this is a fun hobby for families to learn and enjoy together - not that we are able to record their movements, what they have in their back yard, who they walk down the street with.. etc. I'll bet a poll of all AMA members would find that a majority of them are opposed to FPV due to privacy and safety issues. Both Privacy and Safety are definitely compromised when flying in urban environments.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Maidened he Bixler 2 this morning. I took some video but not worth putting up as you cant see the bixler most of the time. I have installed the cnc machined engine mount for the bixler 1 installed and mounted to that is a Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv. ESC is a plush 40A. Also using the APC 7x4e prop and carbon wing spar reinforced with a solid 4mm one.
Performance is fantastic, the thing goes vertical no problem and has good speed all round. With flaps it just wants to float forever, I slowed down my flap servos as it will balloon near vertical instantly if you don't.
bigfella65 is offline Find More Posts by bigfella65
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfella65 View Post
Maidened he Bixler 2 this morning. I took some video but not worth putting up as you cant see the bixler most of the time. I have installed the cnc machined engine mount for the bixler 1 installed and mounted to that is a Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv. ESC is a plush 40A. Also using the APC 7x4e prop and carbon wing spar reinforced with a solid 4mm one.
Performance is fantastic, the thing goes vertical no problem and has good speed all round. With flaps it just wants to float forever, I slowed down my flap servos as it will balloon near vertical instantly if you don't.
Except for using the same motor mount (took the original can and fliped it around) I've got that exact set up and WOW!

Vertical to 2 thousand feet and no hent of stall. 15 mph flew it at 30 ft away and parked in the wind, backed off and it went backwards then nailed it and took it to the clouds.

BTW, my flight trainer flew it. I had ask him to trim it for me. I've not yet flown it.

What a plane!

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:19 PM
|Taranis|
Joined May 2009
6,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Except for using the same motor mount (took the original can and fliped it around) I've got that exact set up and WOW!

Vertical to 2 thousand feet and no hent of stall. 15 mph flew it at 30 ft away and parked in the wind, backed off and it went backwards then nailed it and took it to the clouds.

BTW, my flight trainer flew it. I had ask him to trim it for me. I've not yet flown it.

What a plane!

DJ
2000 feet? I've an altimeter on mine... I've had mine at two thousand feet ONCE .. you can barely make out direction at that altitude, and only if it's against a white cloud -- it disappears in blue sky.

However despite my doubting your altitude -- sounds like you are pleased and that it great. Just remember - -now that you have all that power -- you need to fly with both sticks.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Hello everybody, I had just gotten my Bixler2 kit from HK today in the post and will start to build it soon as i get a few more items during the weekend hopefully.

The main question i have at this point in time is what glue do people normally use to bind the two halves of the fuse? I've never worked with foam before, and I'm still learning the hobby as a whole. This is my second plane but only flew my Cessna182 once and decided it wasnít trainer friendly.

Iím sure the question has been asked and answered somewhere but for the life of me i have yet to be able to find it.

Any links to brands of glue and type would be very helpful for me, something strong that will hold. I donít mind a long cure time, I have plenty of time and in no rush to get out.

Thank you
-mdem
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:11 AM
|Taranis|
Joined May 2009
6,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdem View Post
Hello everybody, I had just gotten my Bixler2 kit from HK today in the post and will start to build it soon as i get a few more items during the weekend hopefully.

The main question i have at this point in time is what glue do people normally use to bind the two halves of the fuse? I've never worked with foam before, and I'm still learning the hobby as a whole. This is my second plane but only flew my Cessna182 once and decided it wasnít trainer friendly.

Iím sure the question has been asked and answered somewhere but for the life of me i have yet to be able to find it.

Any links to brands of glue and type would be very helpful for me, something strong that will hold. I donít mind a long cure time, I have plenty of time and in no rush to get out.

Thank you
-mdem
You're going to get answers from all over the map on this question.

The best glue I've found is Welder adhesive.
I've successfully used .. gorilla glue white - Hot melt glue - double stick adhesive tape - epoxy - and Foam Safe CA.

The best I've found for foam to foam is the Welder Adhesive. I received an ARF -- the halfs were already together and I needed them apart -- I was surprised it was done with double stick scotch tape -- I replaced it that way and it worked fine -- again -- to my surprise.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:25 AM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
You're going to get answers from all over the map on this question.

The best glue I've found is Welder adhesive.
I've successfully used .. gorilla glue white - Hot melt glue - double stick adhesive tape - epoxy - and Foam Safe CA.

The best I've found for foam to foam is the Welder Adhesive. I received an ARF -- the halfs were already together and I needed them apart -- I was surprised it was done with double stick scotch tape -- I replaced it that way and it worked fine -- again -- to my surprise.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've thought of using hot glue but it sets far to quick, I wouldn't be able to place both halves in the correct position within the short time frame and same goes for most CA I've found so far.
Double sided tape sounds like it inst that strong lol, I might be wrong though.

Although Welder Adhesive sounds promising.
Is it a Brand name? I'll look into it now.

Thanks again
-mdem

*edit*
Is this the glue you mentioned?

- http://www.amazon.com/Welder-Contact-Adhesive/dp/B003E6ZPWA/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt -

*edit 2*
Been looking around and the Welder adhesive looks similar to foam safe CA, in regards to curing times. I'd need something that takes anywhere between 10-15min + to get all the alinements in places and perfect.
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
Last edited by mdem; Oct 29, 2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Just use some 15 min epoxy, it gives you time to cover all the surfaces that need to mate and doesn't run everywhere like CA will..
bigfella65 is offline Find More Posts by bigfella65