Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobl View Post
Hi guys,

I searched for this but found nothing relevant.

I see a more or less common theme in forums & Youtube on whether or not to glue the Bixler wings or use some form of removable fitting (rubber band + hooks, etc). I tend to lean towards the removable option, but I don't like the huge void formed by the wing pass-through with only a few-cm thick foam above it. The whole airplane will essentially be hanging from that not-too-thick slab of foam, which becomes the second-weakest link after the spar is beefed up with inner dowels, etc. OTOH if the wing is glued, it would also firmly bonded to the bottom surface of the wing attachment area, making for a much stronger joint.

The problem is, I don't know if this is even an issue. Are my worries justified? Has anyone heard of this foam area above the wing in a Bixler letting go?
I've snapped many a spar and never had the foam above the wings give. If one was concerned about that it would make sense to put 3M Extreme packing tape in the opening - this would also tighten up the fit a bit.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:59 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,928 Posts
i am curious... if i said i was contemplating installing an ARC-28-47-3 motor on 3S, would this be regarded as insanity?
i just rediscovered one in a dark corner, perhaps with 7x5 or 7x7?
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Some fun this morning http://youtu.be/wI7T9LWAwes
What a beautiful location for FPV. I'm very envious
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
After removing the stock plastic motor mount, the cnc mount was too loose in the mount area, about 1 or 2mm gap all around the mount. I decided against using epoxy and used Gorilla glue instead because it expands/foams out as it dries, thus filling the "empty" space around the mount ensuring a tight fit

Also, I've just ordered 2 x spare canopies for the B2 from hobbyking for just over £5 shipped to the UK, bargain I want an untouched one for LOS flying and one for the GoPro. I don't like hacking away at the rest of the plane, except perhaps to make a side hatch.

[for full build progress see http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/]

Hey just wanted to give you my input as far as using gorilla glue. I dont know if you are using the same one I did see pictured below. I glued it in with water and everything seem solid and worked well for a few flights now. But today after my 3rd flight I noticed that my plane wasnt banking to well to the left so I took her down and notice that the glue had ripped out and was really close to an engine failure if the connectors had gotten undo. I will be cleaning it out and using epoxy from now on.

Happy Flying!
ampdchaos is offline Find More Posts by ampdchaos
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdchaos View Post
Hey just wanted to give you my input as far as using gorilla glue. I dont know if you are using the same one I did see pictured below. I glued it in with water and everything seem solid and worked well for a few flights now. But today after my 3rd flight I noticed that my plane wasnt banking to well to the left so I took her down and notice that the glue had ripped out and was really close to an engine failure if the connectors had gotten undo. I will be cleaning it out and using epoxy from now on.

Happy Flying!
Thanks for the heads up ampdchaos, ill be sure to check it after each flight. However, I'm not using the same GG, mine doesn't say "dries white" or "2x faster" its the plain old brown goop.

But I appreciate the prior warning, many thanks mate
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,560 Posts
Quote:

Happy Flying!
Using water speeds up the cure, but you see the result -- better fill, not as strong.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:35 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreDal View Post
I have just tested the stock motor in a watt meter, and pulls only 11A with 100% throttle and 7x5 prop. My batt is a nano-tech 2200mAh 3S 35~70C.

Next step is mount my new motor (2628-6 2200kV) with a 7x4 prop and do some new tests.
Weird - I got 15.5A http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=598
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:37 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:

Happy Flying!
Isn't anybody using CA? I've never had it come loose with foam on foam. Super light, easy to apply, bonds the foam.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Last edited by heinduplessis; Oct 28, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:05 AM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
CA would be good I guess, but this isn't foam to foam, it's aluminium to foam. Either way, I'm sure most glues would be good in this situation but I needed to fill the empty space around the mount so that's the only reason I went for Gorilla Glue
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreDal View Post
I have just tested the stock motor in a watt meter, and pulls only 11A with 100% throttle and 7x5 prop. My batt is a nano-tech 2200mAh 3S 35~70C.

Next step is mount my new motor (2628-6 2200kV) with a 7x4 prop and do some new tests.
My stock motor only pulls just over 11 amps with a 7x5 APC prop. Turnigy 2200 3S battery. Changing the motor and the motor mount when they arrive.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
CA would be good I guess, but this isn't foam to foam, it's aluminium to foam. Either way, I'm sure most glues would be good in this situation but I needed to fill the empty space around the mount so that's the only reason I went for Gorilla Glue
Did the Gorilla glue work OK. Did you put the glue on the aluminium mount and the water on the foam? Was going to use Epoxy when my mount arrives but may have to do as you have if there is a void.
Keep the build postings coming.
M.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
After removing the stock plastic motor mount, the cnc mount was too loose in the mount area, about 1 or 2mm gap all around the mount. I decided against using epoxy and used Gorilla glue instead because it expands/foams out as it dries, thus filling the "empty" space around the mount ensuring a tight fit

Also, I've just ordered 2 x spare canopies for the B2 from hobbyking for just over £5 shipped to the UK, bargain I want an untouched one for LOS flying and one for the GoPro. I don't like hacking away at the rest of the plane, except perhaps to make a side hatch.

[for full build progress see http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/]
Hi Corp. Could not get onto your blogspot with above link so used your previous one.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:39 AM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Did the Gorilla glue work OK. Did you put the glue on the aluminium mount and the water on the foam? Was going to use Epoxy when my mount arrives but may have to do as you have if there is a void.
Keep the build postings coming.
M.
Yes, the gorilla glue has worked a treat. It's set over 2 nights now and it's rock hard. We'll have to wait and see how it holds up with any vibrations the motor/prop may produce but the TGS props I use are very well balanced and the motors are high quality so there should be minimal vibrations. I'll keep you all updated though

RCGroups doesn't have a signature option so I'll just paste my blog link each time I post now

http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:

Happy Flying!
Thanks for the input, will be using Epoxy on mine if I can.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:20 AM
Brazil, GO, Goi‚nia
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
My stock motor only pulls just over 11 amps with a 7x5 APC prop. Turnigy 2200 3S battery. Changing the motor and the motor mount when they arrive.
I use nano-tech 2200mAh 3S 35~70C and a Red Brick 30A ESC.
I recorded an video showing my test, here: (sorry but I'm speaking in Portuguese, just skip to 01:50).

Consumo/Corrente do motor do Bixler 2 (1300kV) (2 min 45 sec)
AndreDal is offline Find More Posts by AndreDal