HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:41 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I might have started that confusion. If so, I apologize). However.
1. Got it.
2. I never said anything like that anywhere on RCG or other forums. I have no idea where you got that. That one is your bad. When you find out who really said it, you might want to apologize.
3. I have no idea what made you jump to that conclusion. You might have done better asking a question before jumping to such an odd conclusion. BTW, I use several brands of 2200Kv motors on many of my planes.
AJ
This has been buried a little, but that is my bad on the quoting I was on my phone, and mis-read the user name, sorry!

But I still disagree that a 1400kV motor could be "weaker" than a 1300kV?
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
done some bits to my bixler2 already http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/
Hi Corp.
Nice to see you are on with your Bixler. Interesting pics on the blog spot. Will be watching with interest. Still waiting for motor mount from USA. Once that comes I will be following in your foot steps. Very interested in FPV but will be flying my Bixler with a Gopro up front at first.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Last edited by Drone 5; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:19 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
done some bits to my bixler2 already http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/
Very nice and clear documentation of your build there! Interested to see how it goes.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:57 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThuban View Post
Nice - looking forward to the results. How are you going to balance it with the 35mm motor? Or does all the FPV hardware end up doing that for you (meaning stock motor + FPV equipment = a bit of fidgeting)
from my past experience with the B1, the added weight of the FPV gear up front needed to be balanced with extra stuff at the rear.

I'll have to see how it balances first, but I think a 2200mah lipo in the nose and the added weight of the FPV cam, OSD, VTX and GPS/ESC at the canopy area should be more than enough to get correct CG
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Has anyone tried this motor for B2:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18545

Its kv should be ideal, diameter should fit and it has more W than 2826/10, price is pretty much the same, does it have any drawbacks comparing to 2826/10?
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:06 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
But I still disagree that a 1400kV motor could be "weaker" than a 1300kV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
Has anyone tried this motor for B2:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18545

Its kv should be ideal, diameter should fit and it has more W than 2826/10, price is pretty much the same, does it have any drawbacks comparing to 2826/10?
"KV" all by itself really doesn't mean much. You can have a low kv motor that is huge and can spin a huge prop and fly a very large, heavy airplane. I use a 1000kv motor with an 11" prop on my X8 wing. Some guys with X8's run 700kv motors with 16" props pushing planes that total 10kg or more.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
"KV" all by itself really doesn't mean much. You can have a low kv motor that is huge and can spin a huge prop and fly a very large, heavy airplane. I use a 1000kv motor with an 11" prop on my X8 wing. Some guys with X8's run 700kv motors with 16" props pushing planes that total 10kg or more.
All is true, but given that without drilling you won't fit anything larger than 7" on B2, kv means something
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
707 Posts
Right, but that's because we've added another parameter.
So motor selection is based upon (from what I gather)
  • Desired thrust
  • Prop Diameter where larger dia. is more efficient, in general - here we're restricted to 7" w/o mod
  • limits on motor size - here we're restricted to 28mm dia w/o mod
  • weight
  • power source limits - here I think its 3s2200mAh w/o mod
  • motor capacity limits
and then you select the speed controller based upon the draw of the above combo you end up with.

I'm looking forward to my next order of bits and pieces so I can putter and test. (need a geek symbol in here)
AlThuban is offline Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:05 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
All is true, but given that without drilling you won't fit anything larger than 7" on B2, kv means something
This is where I was going with my higher kv = higher power. For the same Physical size, kV will usually scale with the power.

I am aware of the size effecting performance, such as why the big motors that go in your 1/4 and 1/2 scale birds are only say 400kV.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,554 Posts
Now, I didn't say "kv" means nothing. But what I did say was that "kv" alone (without any other associated numbers and information), "doesn't mean much".
Here are 2 1100kv motors.
This one is similar to the one I put into my Bix2 and it flies very well (using the same ESC but with new wiring):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

The next one is also 1100 kv:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...licopter_.html

Would anyone care to put the second one into a Bix2 just because it's the same "kv"?
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:08 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
379 Posts
After removing the stock plastic motor mount, the cnc mount was too loose in the mount area, about 1 or 2mm gap all around the mount. I decided against using epoxy and used Gorilla glue instead because it expands/foams out as it dries, thus filling the "empty" space around the mount ensuring a tight fit

Also, I've just ordered 2 x spare canopies for the B2 from hobbyking for just over £5 shipped to the UK, bargain I want an untouched one for LOS flying and one for the GoPro. I don't like hacking away at the rest of the plane, except perhaps to make a side hatch.

[for full build progress see http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/]
Last edited by CorporalB; Oct 27, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2007
4 Posts
Bixler wings - glue in or not?

Hi guys,

I searched for this but found nothing relevant.

I see a more or less common theme in forums & Youtube on whether or not to glue the Bixler wings or use some form of removable fitting (rubber band + hooks, etc). I tend to lean towards the removable option, but I don't like the huge void formed by the wing pass-through with only a few-cm thick foam above it. The whole airplane will essentially be hanging from that not-too-thick slab of foam, which becomes the second-weakest link after the spar is beefed up with inner dowels, etc. OTOH if the wing is glued, it would also firmly bonded to the bottom surface of the wing attachment area, making for a much stronger joint.

The problem is, I don't know if this is even an issue. Are my worries justified? Has anyone heard of this foam area above the wing in a Bixler letting go?
brunobl is offline Find More Posts by brunobl
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
379 Posts
Having the wings removable is purely for transportability, if you have the ability to easily transport the plane with the wings perma-joined then that would be the best option.

But to answer your question, I've never had issues with the wing area of the fuselage being weak.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,328 Posts
Some fun this morning
FPV Dolphin Beach, Cape Town (4 min 55 sec)
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
Brazil, GO, Goi‚nia
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
I have just tested the stock motor in a watt meter, and pulls only 11A with 100% throttle and 7x5 prop. My batt is a nano-tech 2200mAh 3S 35~70C.

Next step is mount my new motor (2628-6 2200kV) with a 7x4 prop and do some new tests.
AndreDal is offline Find More Posts by AndreDal