HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Katerini
Joined Jun 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul Ghafur View Post
My planned bixler build:

FPV transmitter, HUD board, two 5.000 MAH (10.000 MAH) batteries for long times.

Has anyone tried FPV with the new Bixler???
lol @ 2x 5Ah batteries. way too much weight

With 3Ah nanothech i easily fly 30min
theo_mich is online now Find More Posts by theo_mich
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_mich View Post
lol @ 2x 5Ah batteries. way too much weight

With 3Ah nanothech i easily fly 30min
Where would you even put 10 Ah worth of batteries anyway? Sling one from a gondola under the CG?
I fly 2200 mah bats and with the right winds and updrafts, I can fly for over an hour, maybe even hours if my neck didn't get so sore looking up.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:27 AM
Parkzone collector supreme
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Cairo
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
I don't care about extra weight, with a added stiffness it will handle the weight fine. It will just fly and land faster.

I can't get more than 30 minutes on 2000 MAH with my Bixler (first one).
Abdul Ghafur is offline Find More Posts by Abdul Ghafur
Last edited by Abdul Ghafur; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:57 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul Ghafur View Post
My planned bixler build:

FPV transmitter, HUD board, two 5.000 MAH (10.000 MAH) batteries for long times.

Has anyone tried FPV with the new Bixler???
If you really want to use those LiPo's, get a Super Sky Surfer.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Hey Guys, just ordered a B2 kit from the Australian HK warehouse and I've come across a slight dilemma about motor choice, because of the limited selection of parts at the Australian warehouse I ended up ordering a NTM 3536 1800kv as the motor for it, after sitting down and having a proper think about it I realised that this would be way over powered and require a fair bit of modification to the motor pod.
I'm planning for the plane to be used as my 'fun' FPV plane, simple board camera and a small 5.8ghz setup.
My other option is using a spare AXN clouds fly motor that I have lying around, with it in a dry AXN I get near vertical performance with a 6x5 prop pulling about 18 amps, this seems far more reasonable to me now.

So does anyone have any experience with the axn motor in the B2 (or B1)?
mixed is offline Find More Posts by mixed
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Happy Days
United States, WA, Mason County
Joined Mar 2001
3,884 Posts
Guys
Are you aware that that length of carbon on the bottom of the plane to strengthen the fuz isn't carbon.
It is fiberglass painted black.
Replaced with a decent solid 2mm carbon rod,, much more sturdy.
mudlark is online now Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
360 Posts
Right then, some constructive talk from me for a change... up until now I've been saying "I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do that" before I'd even laid eyes on my Bixler2.

Well I'm home now, and I've taken a quick look in the box.

I bought the only version available in the UK Warehouse, the ARF. Requires ESC and 2 x servos for flaps, plus your radio gear of course.

First thing I wanted to do was take a real close look at the "new" canopy. I wanted to see how best to mount my camera(s) to it. The removable canopy itself is very stiff and sturdy, I don't foresee any issues with regards to mounting a FPV camera on there. I'm keeping it simple this time round so no pan/tilt for me, just the base of one of these http://bit.ly/P3gbt3 screwed into the foam. pre screw the holes and inject a bit of gorilla glue in there, then re-screw the camera base into place and it'll be fine.

Motor and mount. Well, I'd heard many of you guys already mention the thin wiring and the excessive heat caused at high current pulls, but the moment I saw the wires for myself, the first thing I did was take out the motor mount (with motor still attached). simply jiggled the mount around for a bit to loosen the foam surrounding it and a sharp pull on the motor shaft with a set pliers and it came right out, judging by the amount of foam stuck to the side of the plastic mount (not a lot) it had obviously only been "glued" in on the right hand side of the opening, and only about 1/4 sq inch dab of glue at that. I'll be using plenty of Gorilla Glue, all around the body of my new CNC motor mount.

I've purchased a 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop for the LOS maiden, which will be some time within the next 7 days.

The rest of the aircraft looks awesome, the foam is of a better quality (perhaps) than the B1 and the hinges instill much more confidence than the old "crushed foam" hinges of the B1.

Cant wait to get flying
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Motor suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixed View Post
Hey Guys, just ordered a B2 kit from the Australian HK warehouse and I've come across a slight dilemma about motor choice, because of the limited selection of parts at the Australian warehouse I ended up ordering a NTM 3536 1800kv as the motor for it, after sitting down and having a proper think about it I realised that this would be way over powered and require a fair bit of modification to the motor pod.
I'm planning for the plane to be used as my 'fun' FPV plane, simple board camera and a small 5.8ghz setup.
My other option is using a spare AXN clouds fly motor that I have lying around, with it in a dry AXN I get near vertical performance with a 6x5 prop pulling about 18 amps, this seems far more reasonable to me now.

I tried it in a Sky Surfer V1 and it has less power and performance than the stock motor. I sugget you get the VERY popular 2826-6 (2200Kv) motor from HK. I have several of them on those type planes and it is a fabulous and inexpensive motor. Make sure to use a 30A or greater ESC and 6x4E(or EP) prop. Happy Flying.
AJ
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:03 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
360 Posts
stock motor on the right, 2200kv motor from Giantshark on the left. it's much bigger, beefier and the wires are 3 times as thick.
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:09 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:

The 2012-10 that was recommended looks like a fine motor, too. It is the equivalent of the 2826-6. So, If you live in the USA, get the HK motor. If you live in the UK, then get the 2012-10. Either motor is cost prohibitive (shipping) to buy if you are not in that country/region. I have wanted to buy many things from GiantShark (formerly Giantcod??). But, their shipping to the USA is outrageous.
AJ
UPDATE: I just noticed that the picture that was shown in the last post had the date for a file name. The motor suggested is exactly the same motor as the one from HK.
FWIW- I mock ordered the motor from both vendors. I am surprised to see that giantshark does indeed ship to the USA for a reasonable cost now. I stand corrected on that one. However, the bottom line is that the exact same motor from both vendors is shown below when shipped to your doorstep:
giantshark.com - 17.63 (11 pounds converted to $$)
Hobbycity.com - 11.96
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 24, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
Parkzone collector supreme
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Cairo
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
stock motor on the right, 2200kv motor from Giantshark on the left. it's much bigger, beefier and the wires are 3 times as thick.
i would go with the 2200 kv.
Abdul Ghafur is offline Find More Posts by Abdul Ghafur
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:24 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Where would you even put 10 Ah worth of batteries anyway? Sling one from a gondola under the CG?
Under the wings like drop tanks?
AlThuban is online now Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
515 Posts
Low Speed Thrust

This has probably been answered somewhere, but I didn't find it in my searches of the thread, so here goes...
What motor & prop combo would you go for if you wanted decent, reliable hardware, a decent, low to medium speed (ie not really faster than stock), and relatively quiet flight but with good, solid climb and wind handling? I've seen a lot of talk about people switching up to 2200kV motors but that sounds pretty "hot" and likely makes them screamers. Some have said the B2 flys well on the stock motor and prop but both the motor and prop are a bit on the cheap & cheesy side.
I was thinking of something like an Aerodrive 2826-1240kV with a three blade MA 7x4 pusher. Then I ran into something about prop stall calculations and got totally confused.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4_Pusher_.html
I've been flying a Radian Pro all summer here in Cowtown and its fine, though the climb is pretty "soft" and it can get windy enough to give it zero ground speed w WOT (yeah yeah, ok so why am I flying then??). I'm looking forward to the B2 as a camera platform for some aerial photo fun.
AlThuban is online now Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThuban View Post
This has probably been answered somewhere, but I didn't find it in my searches of the thread, so here goes...
What motor & prop combo would you go for if you wanted decent, reliable hardware, a decent, low to medium speed (ie not really faster than stock), and relatively quiet flight but with good, solid climb and wind handling? I've seen a lot of talk about people switching up to 2200kV motors but that sounds pretty "hot" and likely makes them screamers. Some have said the B2 flys well on the stock motor and prop but both the motor and prop are a bit on the cheap & cheesy side.
I was thinking of something like an Aerodrive 2826-1240kV with a three blade MA 7x4 pusher. Then I ran into something about prop stall calculations and got totally confused.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4_Pusher_.html
I've been flying a Radian Pro all summer here in Cowtown and its fine, though the climb is pretty "soft" and it can get windy enough to give it zero ground speed w WOT (yeah yeah, ok so why am I flying then??). I'm looking forward to the B2 as a camera platform for some aerial photo fun.
I fly with Calgary Park Flyers and I think I have the only Bix 2 there. I put in a 1100kv motor and a 7X6X3 prop. It seems to fly with good thrust. It's not going to combat winds more than 20 kph very well and cover ground.
Your 1240kv motor isn't all that different from the 1300kv stock one but probably is more reliable.
I used to fly (sold it) a Radian and several guys fly the Pro. They all seem to handle wind pretty well. I've seen the Pro's fly in winds up to 30 kph. I've even gone up on days like that with my Radian. The Bix 2 wouldn't be able to do that, at least not without being a butt clencher.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:

Hi mate
I'm assuming you reside in the Land Down Under, if so stick yer nose in the Aussie FPV Forum (if you haven't already), no doubt you'll find someone there who lives near to you to hook up for some flying, and there are a few guys who fly these Bix2's and fly with different combos, me included, I fly with a different motor in mine but can't remember which motor I went for, haven't flown for a few weeks and at work atm...
Chase up Gommer or Peril to start with
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'