HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:06 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Feb 2010
21 Posts
Just did a quick watt meter test on my Bixler2 which arrived this morning, the motor pulls 12.9A spinning the stock 7x5 and 13.2A with an APC 7x5. Seems to create some wind so maybe it's just a lot more efficient than my B1 setup which draws around 26A spinning a 6x4.

A bit more assembly to do before the maiden... It still needs a carbon fibre spar through the horizontal stabilizer in my opinion. Bit uncertain about the motor... will give it a go stock but might need a power upgrade. The motor wires are very thin but it looks like it will be fairly easy to swap the motor out without doing too much damage (the motor mount is much better than the wooden discs of the B1).

Pretty impressed with it as a whole, the pushrods are much better than the B1 (thicker, screw on ends) and the foam feels strong.
jono80 is offline Find More Posts by jono80
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
301 Posts
So, I've gotten my B2 out of the bag and have started assembly. A couple of preliminary findings:

- The hinges appear to be very solid. Plastic instead of foam. I don't see a need to reinforce these with tape.

- The control horns are improved from the B1, but might still be just a hair on the flimsy side for my tastes. But they are hotglued onto the control surfaces, which makes removing them a pain at best. But at least they seem likely to be better than the horns on the prior model. The control horn slot for the flaps is pre-cut on each wing, which is a nice feature.

- The battery cavity in the front is just the right size for a Turnigy 2200mAh pack. It's as if they practically designed the battery cavity to fit the most popular battery for that aircraft.

- The motor leads are VERY small gauge - that makes me wonder whether they're adequate for the current draw the motor may pull. And having such small wires soldered into standard 3.5mm bullet connectors seems to be a potential problem as well.

- The manual is atrocious. For instance, in the control movement section, it refers to "rubber movement." :/ Yes, it was probably machine translated from Chinese, but still. Plus, the CG measurement is expressed in distance from the nose rather than in distance from the LE of the wings - which isn't the standard convention. The manual is basically useless - it's almost better not to include it in many respects.

- The included hardware is nice - it includes some extra clevises and all the hardware to add the flaps. Plus, some foam glue and a screwdriver for the wing attachment assembly. I'm not sure how good the foam glue is, but I may play around with it to see if it's worth using for the build. Having small items like velcro for the receiver and ESC is a nice touch.

- The wings slot very firmly into position, which is nice. I haven't yet played with the wing attachment method, but it looks like getting the wings on and off the B2 will be much more of a hassle than with the B1. I'd be especially worry about stripping the attachment screws. Including extras might be a nice touch. But the upside appears to be that the wings won't need command hooks or Dual-Lock or any other mods to be on solid.

- The spar seems to be of better quality than the B1 spar - but I'm still planning on reinforcing it with some 4mm CF tube just to play it safe.

- The motor mount seems much nicer than the plywood one from the B1, and while it's still going to be a pain to replace the motor, the new mount will be easier to work with and should provide greater airflow.

- There's an air intake duct at the bottom of the fuse - which is something that the original really needed. The downside of it is that the battery tends to block it, and it's in a position where it's likely to become a dirt intake device. Still, any cooling is better than what the B1 had, and at the very least it will provide some airflow into the fuse .

Overall, despite my gripes, I've got a positive impression thus far. The build quality on the B2 exceeds the B1, especially on the control surfaces. It's clear HK has taken a look at the things that Bixler owners have done to make the Bix a better plane and added features so that many of the common mods are no longer necessary. There are a couple of things that could be improved. but overall it's looking pretty good so far.

I'm hoping to at least get a couple of test flights in yet this week - so long as weather and the wife cooperate.

I've also got some of the OrangeRX 3-axis stabilizer units heading my way too - it will be interesting to put those in the B2 and see how well they work.
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
[QUOTE=jono80;22449838]Just did a quick watt meter test on my Bixler2 which arrived this morning, the motor pulls 12.9A spinning the stock 7x5 and 13.2A with an APC 7x5. Seems to create some wind so maybe it's just a lot more efficient than my B1 setup which draws around 26A spinning a 6x4.

/QUOTE]

Makes sense because the B1 motor is a much higher kv at 1900kv,
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:12 AM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
I'm finishing the review now but here is a casual video I made for my vlog series. It's a great plane and had crazy low speed with the flaps! Enjoy!
RCV 34: Bixler 2 flap action! (7 min 42 sec)
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
I have checked and rechecked the prop, and it is placed correct. I have flown electric planes for the last 15 years, so i know how to reverse a prop or check that it turns in the right direction to the motor spinning. I still think that my motor is crap or faulty. According to the video you should be able to loop from level, not in this case. I had to dive down from about 100 metees full speed to make it loop. The top speed is also a bit lower than in the video. I must have gotten a bad one.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:59 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
705 Posts
My first flight ended in a crash when my TX battery died. I ignored the low battery warning because I had travelled light and not brought a spare. Figured I would just do a more couple of minutes...Broke the spar, the nose split and the prop ground it's way down to about a 6x4 on the tin roof . New prop, spar, some tape and glue needed. It seems pretty sturdy like the Bix 1

It flew OK though. I used a 2200mah batt and had to slide it quite far back to get cog to recommend position. It seems to cruise nicely on around 60-70% throttle. It looped and rolled fine. Pushing the throttle above about 80% didn't seem to make alot of difference in power, just noise (though it is a quiet plane.). I think it's a tiny bit under powered and slower at max throttle than I would have thought, maybe a slightly higher kv motor would be good. Over all good performance though. I had planned to see how much time I got out of a 2200mah 3s but that will have to wait till the weekend now.

Back to the build table...and battery charger.

Have a laugh on me, here's the crash:

This is how my Bixler 2 maiden ended. No fault of the plane TX battery died. (0 min 18 sec)

And here's the whole on board flight video. If I edited out the boring bits there would be nothing left. Does give some indication of performance though.(hat cam recording didn't work.)

Bixler 2 Full maiden flight. Nothing exciting, ends in a crash. (12 min 30 sec)
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3 View Post
I have checked and rechecked the prop, and it is placed correct. I have flown electric planes for the last 15 years, so i know how to reverse a prop or check that it turns in the right direction to the motor spinning. I still think that my motor is crap or faulty. According to the video you should be able to loop from level, not in this case. I had to dive down from about 100 metees full speed to make it loop. The top speed is also a bit lower than in the video. I must have gotten a bad one.
Where'd you put the CG? Have you tried playing with it? you needed uptrim + it flies slow + poor climb...
npre is online now Find More Posts by npre
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Bixler V1 ??????????

what will become of the Bixler V1 now that the V2 has released, will HK continue to offer the V1, noticed the Bixler V1 is still listed in various configurations either in-stock or back -ordered??
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Ok, please contact C/S directly. We where flying the B2 again today, no problem with performance.

Let me know if you need any help with your case.

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
npre, cg as suggested in the manual. I moved it a little backwards to se if that would help, but it didnt. She was still sinking through/loosing altitude. I had to go to 70-75% throttle and add 3 clicks of up elevator to keep her flying level.

Stuart, I have solved the problem, i swapped out the motor and moved the motormount flush with the motornacelle. Now I have cruising speed at 45% throttle and vertical climbout at 85% When crusing the consumtion is 13-14 amps. So now she flies as she should have. The stock motor i got gave 11 amps at full throttle with an Apc 7x5 prop and a fully charged 3cell 2200 mah 35c lipo, not much to brag about, and not good enough to keep her flying straight below 70% throttle. I might have gotten a bad motor, but i am happy with her now.
Last edited by iceman3; Aug 15, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to add info
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
npre, cg as suggested in the manual. I moved it a little backwards to se if that would help, but it didnt. She was still sinking through/loosing altitude. I had to go to 70-75% throttle and add 3 clicks of up elevator to keep her flying level.

Stuart, I have solved the problem, i swapped out the motor and moved the motormount flush with the motornacelle. Now I have cruising speed at 45% throttle and vertical climbout at 85% When crusing the consumtion is 13-14 amps. So now she flies as she should have. The stock motor i got gave 11 amps at full throttle with an Apc 7x5 prop and a fully charged 3cell 2200 mah 35c lipo, not much to brag about, and not good enough to keep her flying straight below 70% throttle. I might have gotten a bad motor, but i am happy with her now.
how hard was it to move the motor? isn't it glued into the sides?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:09 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
porcia, i moved it from side to side and up/down with very light movement and the grip/glue loosened . It was only glued in two spots so it was very easy and took less than two minutes.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:19 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
great, thanks!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
303 Posts
Quote:

What motor did you end up using iceman?
R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Progress.

both my Bixler 2 and Walrus are being packed, hopefully will be shipped in the next day or so.