HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Hi AJ,

I'm a complete novice - this is my first plane. Prior to I didn't even make models. I chose the ARF because just gluing the pieces together was nerve wracking enough for me. I didn't want to stuff anything up. :-)

However - now after owning one, and if I had a little bit more experience and could trust myself (like you obviously can) - I would go with the Kit over the ARF.

There are a couple of things that concern me about the ARF that could be fixed if you have the kit:

Firstly, I don't like the motor. (Well - to be more precise, I don't like the wire connected to the motor). I found that it's pretty thin and breaks quite easily. It's also too short (by about 20mm or more) for my liking. It's difficult to work with.

Secondly, I don't like the screw casing that is in the fuselage (where the screws go in). It restricts the room you have in there, and from what I can tell there are much better ways to secure the wings on than this method. As the body is already pre-glued, you have to pull the glue apart to get it out.

If it wasn't for these two issues, I'd have no worries suggesting the ARF, but considering you seem to have a bit of knowledge about model building - my suggestion would be the Kit form re the reasons above.

HTH
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:53 AM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I changed out the stock motor to a 2826 / 6, 2200kv motor. I was shocked at these long skinny wires on the stock motor. To much load will make them light up in a way that Thomas Edison would have been proud of.

If your going to use the stock motor cut the wires off an inch from the motor and put new ends on them and run heavy wire on back.

DJ
I fitted that motor as well, but i mounted the 35 amp ESC in the top of the Bixler 2 fuselage, just in front of the motor and the heavy leads just reached the motor, and the ESC gets cooling from the breeze.
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Want to soup up my Bix 2

I've been reading through this thread and am unsure of how to proceed to soup up my Bixler 2.

This plane seems like a bit of a pig compared to the 1, so I'd like to beef up the performance a bit. Just a little more speed and authority would be gret, nothing fancy.

I also want to replace that motor for another reason... the wires, which have been breaking at the solder joints. They also seem rather skimpy, but that's already been covered.

Has a consensus been reached about a motor/prop combination that will accomplish this purpose? Again, I'm not looking for magic, just a bit more speed and aggressiveness will make me happy.

Thanks.
steambc is offline Find More Posts by steambc
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:51 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steambc View Post
I've been reading through this thread and am unsure of how to proceed to soup up my Bixler 2.

This plane seems like a bit of a pig compared to the 1, so I'd like to beef up the performance a bit. Just a little more speed and authority would be gret, nothing fancy.

I also want to replace that motor for another reason... the wires, which have been breaking at the solder joints. They also seem rather skimpy, but that's already been covered.

Has a consensus been reached about a motor/prop combination that will accomplish this purpose? Again, I'm not looking for magic, just a bit more speed and aggressiveness will make me happy.

Thanks.
to answer your question:

this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21481

plus this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7936

plus this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2165

all on 3S lipo will achieve your goal.... however if you want mental, put a carbon rod inside the existing spar and use this ESC with 4S for almost 700w

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2166
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
corp,
will that motor fit right onto the current motor mount or does it require tinkering? Thanks
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:23 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
411 Posts
it's a 28 size motor so should fit... but best to take the motor mount out... then flip it around (there are pics of this mod already in this thread, use thread tools and clock attachments)

if not, you'll then need this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=748

I ordered one, and am waiting for it to arrive.

in fact, it's good to get that motor mount anyway in case you chose to FPV your bixler then you'll be able to fit a lower KV motor (around 1000kv-1200kv) and swing up to a 9" prop
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Hey Everyone I maiden my Bixler today and everything went great.. It was my first time hand launching and it went straight into the ground!! just scratches on the nose.. Had a brain fart and forgot about the whole wind direction thing... Yeah.. anyways my question to you guys is where do you guys place your battery? I place mine all the way in the front of the nose and it felt really nose heavy.
ampdchaos is offline Find More Posts by ampdchaos
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
it's a 28 size motor so should fit... but best to take the motor mount out... then flip it around (there are pics of this mod already in this thread, use thread tools and clock attachments)

if not, you'll then need this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=748

I ordered one, and am waiting for it to arrive.

in fact, it's good to get that motor mount anyway in case you chose to FPV your bixler then you'll be able to fit a lower KV motor (around 1000kv-1200kv) and swing up to a 9" prop
excellent, thanks!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdchaos View Post
Hey Everyone I maiden my Bixler today and everything went great.. It was my first time hand launching and it went straight into the ground!! just scratches on the nose.. Had a brain fart and forgot about the whole wind direction thing... Yeah.. anyways my question to you guys is where do you guys place your battery? I place mine all the way in the front of the nose and it felt really nose heavy.
Didn't you balance it with the battery and canopy in place? Move the battery around till it was balanced? It really doesn't matter where everyone else puts their batteries because everyone loads their planes up a different way.
"All the way in the front of the nose" is quite abnormal unless you've got stuff in back of the CG to counterbalance that. And it also depends on the size and weight of the battery.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
My battery starts just after the little 'bump' in the canopy towards the nose. It's as far back as it can go before hitting that bump.

However, as mentioned- the best thing for you to do is test your Centre of Gravity (CG) for yourself. You should be able to hold your plane up balanced by resting your index finger from each hand underneath each wing where the wing spar is without your plane wanting to fall forwards or backwards.

HTH
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adza View Post
My battery starts just after the little 'bump' in the canopy towards the nose. It's as far back as it can go before hitting that bump.

However, as mentioned- the best thing for you to do is test your Centre of Gravity (CG) for yourself. You should be able to hold your plane up balanced by resting your index finger from each hand underneath each wing where the wing spar is without your plane wanting to fall forwards or backwards.

HTH
Thanks for the suggestion I will try that method. I need to rewire a bunch of my stuff. I have too many wires.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Always get ready to add some up elevator, otherwise it will just fall down to the ground. If you have the flaps installed use them too. I always do.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Always get ready to add some up elevator, otherwise it will just fall down to the ground. If you have the flaps installed use them too. I always do.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
GoPro on Bixler 2 (7 min 11 sec)
This is the video I did with a GoPro on the Bixler2.
This is with the 2826 motor and a 35amp ESC out of my durafly corsair.
Takeoff and landings are with flaps. Wing is stiffened with a carbon fibre arrow fitted inside the stock stiffener. This motor gets the plane off the grass pretty quick even with the GoPro.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellbruce View Post
haha Yeah thanks. I did have some with flaps I think with the cg not being proper and my weak attempt at a first hand toss didnt mix well. other than that I felt like the plane flew great with the stock motor.