Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
decided to fly mine stock and LOS for a while, till it breaks at some point.
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Last edited by CorporalB; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Motor stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adza View Post
Thanks for your replies guys.

Yeah - I'm sure it broke. It broke about 3mm from the solder. Where it bends into the canopy. Looks like the wire that is in it is pretty poor quality, and easilly breaks if bent back and forward a number of times.

In regards to taking the motor out - are you saying that the motor and wire are mutually exclusive? (ie, does thee wire 'plug in' to the motor the other end, or is it attached / part of the motor?
Yes. hee, hee, hee. I've been watching the debates too much. Anyhow, the wire that goes to the motor is indeed attached the motor. If you can get at the end that is broken, you can simply solder a 3.5mm connector on it and you are good to go.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,153 Posts
Quote:

Yeah - I'm sure it broke. It broke about 3mm from the solder. Where it bends into the canopy. Looks like the wire that is in it is pretty poor quality, and easily breaks if bent back and forward a number of times.

In regards to taking the motor out - are you saying that the motor and wire are mutually exclusive? (ie, does thee wire 'plug in' to the motor the other end, or is it attached / part of the motor?
I changed out the stock motor to a 2826 / 6, 2200kv motor. I was shocked at these long skinny wires on the stock motor. To much load will make them light up in a way that Thomas Edison would have been proud of.

If your going to use the stock motor cut the wires off an inch from the motor and put new ends on them and run heavy wire on back.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,157 Posts
Quote:

Yeah - I'm sure it broke. It broke about 3mm from the solder. Where it bends into the canopy. Looks like the wire that is in it is pretty poor quality, and easilly breaks if bent back and forward a number of times.

The Bix 2 motor wires that go to the ESC is junk - very thin and has a cheap insulation. "Proper" insulation is made of a softer silicone. As the wires get heated up and cooled down repeatedly, the insulation gets more and more brittle.
Taking the motor out isn't too bad on this plane. Reach in through the hole in front of the motor and undo the 2 screws. The motor yanks out the back, pull all the wires with it. I recall that on this plane, the motor wires go all the way to almost the ESC where it has bullet connectors that detach from the ESC. Find the ESC and you'll see those connectors. Most motor wires are quite short (~3" to 4"), with bullet connectors there. Because the ESC has no room to reside in that wire tunnel, they put much longer wires on the motor. Go to "thread tools" and look at all the "attachments" in this thread to get the idea.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Well, I finally got around to flying this. I love it. It's not perfect, but it's a great plane, and a can't lose deal money wise.

It's steady and graceful and goes where you point it. I got lucky with the prop I guess, worked fine with no vibe. I guess I was spoiled by the B1 as I expected more from the motor. It is a larger plane, I need to remember that. I think it's fine as is, and an excellent trainer. Of course I want more power though, can't see that this could haul up any FPG as is. Perhaps a small key fob camera. I'll have to go back through the thread and get a good motor set up. 2200 mah battery seemed to work the best. With one level of flap down, it just hung into the breeze like a kite.

Now to paint her up!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Well, I finally got around to flying this. I love it. It's
Now to paint her up!
What sort of paint do you recommend for painting her please?

I've thought of painting the underside with black stripes so I can tell which way is up easier - and your post just reminded me.
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
What sort of paint do you recommend for painting her please?

I've thought of painting the underside with black stripes so I can tell which way is up easier - and your post just reminded me.
Krylon Short Cuts is the best paint, the small 3 ounce cans. Liquetex is another good one. I always go with bright neon/safety orange on the bottom of the wingtips.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:03 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
832 Posts
I lost mine fpving due to the rubbish motor wires, luckily recovered it and found the wire had broke at the bullet. Bix part 2 is about to fly with a new motor!! the old motor has been binned cheap rubbish!
by the way whats the biggest battery people have been able to shoe horn in? i bought two 3s 5000mah from HK and they wont fit in the nose!
would like to get as many mah has i can in there....
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:38 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
The Bix 2

The Bixler 2 ARF is now in stock.
AJ
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:20 AM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
I lost mine fpving due to the rubbish motor wires, luckily recovered it and found the wire had broke at the bullet. Bix part 2 is about to fly with a new motor!! the old motor has been binned cheap rubbish!
by the way whats the biggest battery people have been able to shoe horn in? i bought two 3s 5000mah from HK and they wont fit in the nose!
would like to get as many mah has i can in there....
in order to use such a large/heavy battery as that, you will need to get access to the fuselage area directly beneath the CG.... this will mean you'll have to remove the tubes and find a different (and probably better) way of attaching the wings.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:38 AM
Schweiz, BE, Bern
Joined Aug 2011
79 Posts
i have ordered my Bixler 2 today.....
i keep it for the first few flights on stock motor.... but i will check first the wire for ESC to Motor

as ESC i have an old Walkera one, 30A should be enough for this
altas is offline Find More Posts by altas
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:09 AM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
I lost mine fpving due to the rubbish motor wires, luckily recovered it and found the wire had broke at the bullet.
this is why i will 100% NOT be flying FPV until i've upgraded the motor, I seriously just dont trust the electronics on an item that has been designed to be sold at such a low price... there's a reason the bixler is cheap compared to the Multiplex alternatives.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
832 Posts
Airframe has been gutted wings glued on, I have the vtx on the tail, video battery in the tail tube under the motor then the rx followed by the rvosd then main battery in the nose.
Certainly is a lot of room once tho wing mounts are gone!
Still wondering what size battery people are managing to squeeze in
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
with the wing mount tubes removed like you said, you can easy fit 2 x 2200mah in there along with a 3rd FPV gear lipo around 600-800mah, AND all your FPV gear...... and that's just going by the room I had in my Bixler 1

the thing with single LiPo's is this... as their capacity gets larger, so does it's dimensions (well duh, sorry guys dont mean to point out the obvious... but bear with me).

these dimensions might not fit the available space within the model, so often it's better to use several smaller LiPos in parallel, rather than a single MASSIVE lipo.

The other advantage of using multiple LiPo's in parallel is that you can install your FPV gear in the optimum locations and then (with long enough wires) move the LiPos around the plane to get correct CG, whereas with a single LiPo, you can't spread the extra weight and if it only fits in one area of the plane, you have to locate your other gear elsewhere to get correct CG.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:35 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Info (based on real world experience) requested from Bixler 2 owners

Hi all. I am torn between getting a B2 kit or ARF. The price difference does not make any difference to me. Now that you guys (who own and fly the B2) have experience with it, I would like to ask the following questions:
1. If you had it to do all over again, would you use your own parts (motor, ESC, servos) [kit]?
2. OR, Would you buy one with most of the pieces/parts (ARF)?
Your thoughts please. TIA.

AJ

P.S. If this helps - For those of you that don't know, I have a experience building and flying 4 Sky Surfer planes (now 3 - 2-Sky Surfer V1 and V2 and 1-Super SkyS).