SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I don't have the flaps working right now. I will try a lower power launch and some up elevator too. I might try a power off glide test first. used to do that all the time back in the day.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:19 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Thank you for this. I think I now know how that mix is done.

Viper, why the hell I have my own thoughts about this has me asking you this; I've installed a servo speed reducer on the flaps. On slow I have to watch to see if there moving. I've set this on 50% and it takes 6 sec. for the flaps to deploy.

Now because of that wide range I should be able to teach myself how much down elevator to use since I can have a lot of time to do it.

It seems the 'flap + elevator mix' is speed and wind dependent. If we set it up on Tuesday W/ 6 -8 MPH wind and we come back on Thursday and it's a 10 -15 mph wind the set up won't work because the mix is specific to speed (air speed).

I'm slowing down the flaps so I can 'fly' the elevator under any conditions.

You can tell I'm on my second glass of wine.

Viper, I hope this doesn't sound unappreciative, but what do you think ?

DJ
A 6 second deployment for flaps is too slow for my liking but might work for you. When you mix in elevator, the elevator should also deploy at the same speed since it changes as the flaps change. Using mix is sort of the "lazy man's" way of doing it but I look at it as convenience. Certainly, 6 seconds will give you plenty of time to react with the elevator, allowing you to manually mix in elevator. However, where I like to have the mix is when the plane is so high up, I can't really tell what it's doing. With the mix, I know what it does when at lower altitude, so I know what it's doing when it's up high. In many occasions, using a small amount of flaps (like 50%) will help it soar up high and give you more hang time. Unfortunately, the DX6i only gives you one setting for flaps and it's on or off. My DX8 gives me 2 settings (50% and 100%) and I can dial in the deployment time in seconds or even fractions of a second. I use 50% for launch and for soaring and 100% for landing.
Everything is relative to airspeed, so whether it be a calm day or a windy day, when you use flaps, the plane should be going about the same speed relative to the wind. If you use flaps on a calm day to launch, you throw it harder . If you do it on a windy day, you don't need to throw it nearly as hard. The mix shouldn't matter either as the airspeed should be about the same. If you're flying in calm vs flying against the wind, the only thing that changes is ground speed. The plane will feel the same amount of airspeed as will the flaps.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
421 Posts
I have the turnigy 9x with ER9X firmware, but I havent made my mind up whether to have a timed flap deployment or just have the flaps assigned to a rotary knob so I have full control of what position the flaps are at.

can someone who already has their bixler 2 answer me this question please...

the screw on wings, when screwed on fully, are the screw tubes then "empty"? what I mean is, does the screw go all the way up the tube leaving empty space behind it or is the screw the whole length of the tube?

what I'm trying to get at is this... I will want to remove the tubes but still be able to screw on the wings. My servo re-location mod will allow me to cut an access hatch in the side of the plane right where the tubes are so I'll still be able to access the screws for the wings.
CorporalB is online now Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:08 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
the screw on wings, when screwed on fully, are the screw tubes then "empty"? what I mean is, does the screw go all the way up the tube leaving empty space behind it or is the screw the whole length of the tube?
The screw are supposed to go all the way to the ends of the tubes but I can never get mine to actually screw all the way in. About 1/4" hangs from the bottom of the wing surface. So, yeah, basically, those tubes are empty.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
421 Posts
thanks xviper. so with a large access hatch in the side of the fuselage it should be easy enough to screw the wings in without the tubes... as long as one uses a tiny screwdriver (or simply a philips head driver "bit")
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:57 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,976 Posts
Quote:
thanks xviper. so with a large access hatch in the side of the fuselage it should be easy enough to screw the wings in without the tubes... as long as one uses a tiny screwdriver (or simply a philips head driver "bit")
Personally, I'd forget the screws (screw the screws ) and do the velcro trick. I'm about to give up on the screws. They just don't work well. Can't get them in all the way and they are hard to extract afterwards. Since you'll have easy access to the central underside of the joined wings, you could rig up some other method of holding the wings together.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,976 Posts
PS. Since flying mine. 3 more Bixler 2's have been sold to guys at my flying field. People are just amazed how well the thing works. HK needs to give me a commission.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:12 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
finally got it built and ready to fly, can't wait!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
421 Posts
no doubt I'll figure it out, just need to get rid of the tubes so I can have more useable space for FPV gear. With the GoPro up front I doubt the CG would like the 2200mah lipo in the nose too. will also be cutting the canopy area to make the bixler 1 style fpv pods fit. I have a RMRC fpv pod for my old bixler1 that I never got round to using. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=273
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
I have the turnigy 9x with ER9X firmware, but I havent made my mind up whether to have a timed flap deployment or just have the flaps assigned to a rotary knob so I have full control of what position the flaps are at.
It depends what you want o achieve with the flaps . Normally you have a 3 way swtch where you can modify the airfoil and make the plane glide faster or slower ( one of the position is neutral ) by lifting or lowering of few mm the aerlions and flaps . The you have your flap switch where you deploy the flaps an at the same time you mix in the elevator . The plane tends to baloon up and stall when you deploy the flaps and sometime a bit of down elevator balance the tail diving and it result in the plane slowing dramatically while being level and loosing its altitude fast . in this way you land your plane in a few feet and slowly, as some planes tend to glide for ever at few inches of the ground at high speed .
Many people do make the mistake at this point of slamming the elevator down and nose the model into the landing strip with consequences.
Some gliders have the flaps going down and aerlions going up ( Crow ) and this dramatically stops your glider and land you model nicely on the ground within few feet and from quite an altitude. I use this when there is a lot of wind as it helps to counter act any stalls.
In my view, it is always ideal to have set flaps and use the elevon in case of emergency to counteract any bad attitude of the model. You set the flaps first at 2 or 3 mistakes altitude, and progra-in the elevator so you know that when you deploy them, the plane does not stall and crash few feet from the ground.
If you want to just slow down the plane while at altitude to take some video footage then just get the normal flaps on a switch with a bit of elevon mixed.
Hope this helps .
Mik
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:27 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
My flap set up is as follows. A three-position switch activates the inner flaps.

Position one is fully retracted.
Position two is 20 degrees down flap.
Position three is 40 degrees down flap.

The flap servo is slowed down so that it runs at 40 degrees per second. On position two and three the elevator moves to a small amount of down to compensate for pitch up. The amount of this compensation is dependent on the position of the three-position switch and has no delay so the nose goes down slightly before the flaps are fully deployed. With this system I can go from no flap to full flap during the last few feet before landing without having to worry about a last second stall.

For flying in lift the trailing edge of both the flaps and the ailerons can be lowered by up to 5 degrees. Mixes from channel 8 control this. A lever activates channel 8 on my transmitter so the lowering of the trailing edge is fully proportional. There is no elevator compensation when this function is used as I find that the slight pitch up is beneficial during thermal soaring.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Set up guidance

Hi all,

Need some guidance, got the B2 built and up in the air but it seems to be very nose heavy when I cut the power and not rolling too well. Im using my 1300 mah batteries from the B1 at the moment and no fpv setup, balanced ok but I cannot seem to stop it stalling when I cut power.

Any suggestions?

Cheers - Andy
Easy.Glider is offline Find More Posts by Easy.Glider
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:47 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy.Glider View Post
Hi all,

Need some guidance, got the B2 built and up in the air but it seems to be very nose heavy when I cut the power and not rolling too well. Im using my 1300 mah batteries from the B1 at the moment and no fpv setup, balanced ok but I cannot seem to stop it stalling when I cut power.

Any suggestions?

Cheers - Andy
3 questions Andy

Roll rate is controlled by aileron throw (movement).

1) Are the aielrons on your Bixler hooked up via a single channel using a "Y" lead or are you using 2 channels with differential?

2)What have you set the throws at? Maybe you can try giving more movement.

All planes, real and model, will drop the nose when power is cut and speed reduced. Are you mistaking this for a stall? Or is it just stopping in the air and dropping the nose past 90 degrees and taking a dive? (A video of it flying would help diagnosis.)

Cheers

Dave
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:07 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Welcome to the Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy.Glider View Post
Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Cheers - Andy
Actually, I suspect that your plane is really tail heavy. Where is your CG? Using just a 1300mah (3S?), it is not possible to get a correct CG without using ballast of some kind. Where is your linkage set for the ailerons (position on servo arm and control horn)? Even at maximum throw, this plane does not roll very well because it is (after all) a glider. Again, Welcome.
BTW-I think you might mean V1 (version 1) or V2 (version2) instead of B1 or B2?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Hi Dave,

I have them connected up to one channel each, maybe of note my TX is a DX6i. The throws seem to be fine and comparable to my original Bixler so don't think that is an issue it just seems alot harder to fly than the original Bixler. Unfortunately it was a little windy today and at timeout was stalling but when gliding around it just wanted to nose dive (it did seem better with a bit of power compared to gliding). My friend was out with his Bixler and flying round with no issues and tried to fly the two but also struggled. Will see about getting a video when the weather is ok to fly again........could be some time as its forcast 30 mph gusts this week so it might be left at home and out with the zagi.

AJ - The COG is just under the spar so seems to be ok and the linkage is the second spot down. I was just being lazy with the B1 and B2 couldn't be bothered writing the extra 5 letter to say Bixler 1 or Bixler 2 lol

It will be something very obvious in the end!

Cheers - Andy
Easy.Glider is offline Find More Posts by Easy.Glider