HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
also you have this option for 4 USD :

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=22731

THis is bixler 2 thread and this one does not fit bixler 2?
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:23 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
sorry, I am mot sure it will fit or not. as is or modified, I just saw that item and posted it here for comments from actual owners ... I am very sorry I have not been super clear that this is Bixler 1. I guess it should somehow fit.
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:30 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
B1 & B2 cockpits are significantly different in size. I believe others have previously reported it does not fit properly.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:37 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Sorry, I edited my original post then
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:33 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
ok, I am a newby and this is what I learned so far, I hope this helps you

small tip recap for those who have this as a first electric plane (like me) :

this is the right order :
- make sure the prop is NOT mounted ! all testing except the one below is done with prop unmounted !
- remember to never plug the battery in the plane before you switch your Tx on
- remember to always unplug the battery in the plane before you switch your Tx off
- remember to always make sure your throttle is at zero (your can use a rubber band to keep it at zero) when you play with anything else
- configure your esc with your programing card
- put the ESC into the plane and connect everything (still, no prop)
- make sure you configure the end points ! (it means making the ESC learn the min and max position of your throttle) (procedure depends on your ESC)

- now, test a that all inputs are correct and that things move in the right direction, and that throttle response as it should

- now, if all the above is ok, including the throttle response, unplug the battery, put the prop with the numbers facing forward, secure it tight, make sure the throttle on your Tx is at zero, then switch your Tx on, then connect the battery (be ready to unplug the battery super quickly)
- slowly put a lit bit of throttle and make sure the air is pushed towards the back of the plane
if it doesnot go towards the back, it does not means your prop is on the wrong side, it means your engine turn on the wrong side. as always, unplug the battery. then reverse any of the 3 wire connection between ESC and engine, plug the battery and try again, it should be fine now.
remember to always cut juice before your have fingers around the prop !

please correct me if wrong

Alain
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:43 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellbruce View Post
With the amount of flex in the wing when doing any sort of loop or pull out of a dive, i decided to try and stiffen up the original hollow spar.
Tried to buy 4mm timber dowel or 4mm solid carbon fibre, but no stock anywhere in Sydney
I then went to an archery supplier and bought two blank hollow arrows. I had to buy two, because they aren't long enough. I sanded them down with emery cloth till they started in the tube, them sprayed them with silicon (slippery) spray and pushed one all the way in. Then did the same with the other one, but only used about a third of it and trimmed off the end flush.
Flew it yesterday and what a difference it made, hardly any flex.
Bruce.
Good tip Bruce. Thanks
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:47 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
734 Posts
Alain, be careful when tesing the motor without a prop. Do a "jog start" to check the rotation direction only. Don't run the motor at full rpm unloaded, (without a prop) unless of course, you want it to have a very short life. I use an old, low powered 2 cell Li-on pack to test run motors on my models.
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:50 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
yes, Dave, for sure if I need to run the motor without prop I always use the minimum amount of throttle I can use

but for checking the engine rotation way, sorry I can't see it if I do not put the prop on

In any case, I guess only the slowest possible speed should be used on the bench, prop on or not

To give you a little context, I am learning plane to move to multirotor later, because plane make sense, when multi is 100% about configuration and this is too much to take upfront without any RC know-how (well at least for me) ... I am amazed I learn so much quite easily with the Bixler, it is a great experience for me ... it is so easy to make sense out of the stuff when you see them working on a plane
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
A question and an observation:

Firstly, why do everything without the prop on first? (I'm anewby, but i just put my prop on at the beginning and didn't have any issues). Did i risk something?

Secondly, in relation to the prop direction, mine was spinning the wrong way, but all i did was reconfigure the ESC to change directions as opposed to changing the wires around. Did i do wrong?
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
1/ well if your end points are not set in the ESC, this means your esc does not know what level of throttle is max, so you could end up a full throttle by only pushing it a bit, resulting in your prop maybe detaching at high speed in your bench

so in general I really assume all testing to be done on bench is without prop for safety reson (I also post m

2/ I guess thats even better ! I do not saw that option on my Plush 60A programing card
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:29 AM
zeraldo
Joined Apr 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I have a complete set of scans of the Bixler 1 -- but can't find them just now. I did find these two which you may be able to modify if you have some graphic skills. I'll have to look around more later.

EDIT*** Look what I found -- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ent_Decal.html
Yeah, I saw the stock decals for sale. I was actually looking for some custom decals file, covering a larger area, so I could know the plane position in the sky... thanks anyway!
zerado is online now Find More Posts by zerado
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
ok, I am a newby and this is what I learned so far, I hope this helps you

small tip recap for those who have this as a first electric plane (like me) :

this is the right order :
- make sure the prop is NOT mounted ! all testing except the one below is done with prop unmounted !
- remember to never plug the battery in the plane before you switch your Tx on
- remember to always unplug the battery in the plane before you switch your Tx off
- remember to always make sure your throttle is at zero (your can use a rubber band to keep it at zero) when you play with anything else
- configure your esc with your programing card
- put the ESC into the plane and connect everything (still, no prop)
- make sure you configure the end points ! (it means making the ESC learn the min and max position of your throttle) (procedure depends on your ESC)

- now, test a that all inputs are correct and that things move in the right direction, and that throttle response as it should

- now, if all the above is ok, including the throttle response, unplug the battery, put the prop with the numbers facing forward, secure it tight, make sure the throttle on your Tx is at zero, then switch your Tx on, then connect the battery (be ready to unplug the battery super quickly)
- slowly put a lit bit of throttle and make sure the air is pushed towards the back of the plane
if it doesnot go towards the back, it does not means your prop is on the wrong side, it means your engine turn on the wrong side. as always, unplug the battery. then reverse any of the 3 wire connection between ESC and engine, plug the battery and try again, it should be fine now.
remember to always cut juice before your have fingers around the prop !

please correct me if wrong

Alain
Are you getting the RTF? If not, you're going to need to bind the RX to the TX. In this case, the plane battery gets plugged in first and the throttle trim should be at minimum before you bind.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerado View Post
Yeah, I saw the stock decals for sale. I was actually looking for some custom decals file, covering a larger area, so I could know the plane position in the sky... thanks anyway!
Paint it?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:25 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
How sensitive is the plane to cg? I went to do a test flight yesterday. With the plane balance nose heavy. Gave it full throttle and launched with the nose slighty up. Plane promptly nosed into the soft ground and tall grass. I gave it a good toss so it had plenty of speed. Prop is on correctly and puts out plenty of breeze.

Should I not use full throttle? Or did having the cg more forward cause the motor to push the nose down?
Been flying a long time. But first time with a plane with this lay out.

I also tried a rog take off first. While it would slide along the ground at a decent speed. Would not lift off.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Update on my bixler 2
Light winds today so first flights with the Bixler. All stock parts apart from the crap prop adapter and prop. Replaced both. New prop is a 7 x 5 APC.
Battery Turnigy 11.1Volt - 2200mah.
ESC - Turnigy Plush 30amp.
Stock motor max load - 11.76amps Watts - 136
First flight was a great success, no bad habits. Just had to put a little up trim in.
Second flight, deployed Flaps at low speed and they worked well. With a little mixed in down elevator she flew stright and level.
Next few flights used Flaps for landing.
Will not be replacing the motor at present. Once my GOPRO is fitted I will see.
All I can say at the moment is that I am well satisfied with the present set up.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5