HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Carbon fibre wing stiffener tube.

With the amount of flex in the wing when doing any sort of loop or pull out of a dive, i decided to try and stiffen up the original hollow spar.
Tried to buy 4mm timber dowel or 4mm solid carbon fibre, but no stock anywhere in Sydney
I then went to an archery supplier and bought two blank hollow arrows. I had to buy two, because they aren't long enough. I sanded them down with emery cloth till they started in the tube, them sprayed them with silicon (slippery) spray and pushed one all the way in. Then did the same with the other one, but only used about a third of it and trimmed off the end flush.
Flew it yesterday and what a difference it made, hardly any flex.
Bruce.
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Shimmy, the ailaron wires get you 'almost' to the front but I added a 6" extention so I could pull the wings out further before unpluging them. The wires on the flap servos also get you into the fuse but not to the front. so I used 4ea. 6" extentions.

Hope this helps,
DJ
Sculptor, thanks for the response, but it only helps a little. I plan on buying the Kit version, so I will not get any Aileron wires. The HXT900 have a 2-3" wire on them. I want to have a "junction box" close to the servo that will have the connection with an extension wire that is in the wing. That way when I have to swap out a servo, I do not have to open the tunnel.
So_Bad showed this in the Bixler thread ( Report 17008)
In the Bixler 1 he shows in his pictures that it is about 30 cm from the servo to the edge of the wing. So in a Bixler1 I think that 45 cm should be enough. But I want to get the Bixler 2 I think.

Do you think that I need to invert the motor mount even if I do the kit? Is it that the 2826 / 6 not fit inside the mount?
I will use some good thick wire that I have for the motor leads.
I have a 30 amp ESC. I hope that is big enough.

Thanks
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
to be honest, it's not the kv of the motor I'm worried about, it's the flimsiness of the wires, the quality of the bullet connector soldering and the bent shaft that's of concern.

I'm not trying to quash your findings scott, I'm just saying that I'd prefer to use a better quality motor with which I've had very good experiences with in the past.

I will be using this setup:
Turns out that the motor shaft was true -- but the collet that came with it was absolute crap. Had to get rid of it post haste.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Sculptor, thanks for the response, but it only helps a little. I plan on buying the Kit version, so I will not get any Aileron wires. The HXT900 have a 2-3" wire on them. I want to have a "junction box" close to the servo that will have the connection with an extension wire that is in the wing. That way when I have to swap out a servo, I do not have to open the tunnel.
So_Bad showed this in the Bixler thread ( Report 17008)
In the Bixler 1 he shows in his pictures that it is about 30 cm from the servo to the edge of the wing. So in a Bixler1 I think that 45 cm should be enough. But I want to get the Bixler 2 I think.

Do you think that I need to invert the motor mount even if I do the kit? Is it that the 2826 / 6 not fit inside the mount?
I will use some good thick wire that I have for the motor leads.
I have a 30 amp ESC. I hope that is big enough.

DJ

Thanks
Sorry i could not be of help Shimmy, were are done,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Turns out that the motor shaft was true -- but the collet that came with it was absolute crap. Had to get rid of it post haste.
I took the bad collet to a machine shop, and they were able to make a new collet for me that was perfect. It took out the wobble in the prop adapter.
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
We got our Bixler 2 the other day. I found on ours ( my gf says it is "hers") that the spinner was the problem. Not the collet or motor shaft. Replaced it with a nut and washer and smooth as silk at all motor speeds.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:12 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
well I have many prop adapters/collets/spinners for various sized shafts.... no doubt one will fit, but I'll still end up changing out the motor.

I want to build it "stock" and fly it with all the provided hardware first, that way I'll be able to thruthfully comment on how much better or worse my mods make it.

stay tuned at http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Sorry i could not be of help Shimmy, were are done,
DJ
I am sorry if I offended you.

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:22 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I am sorry if I offended you.

Shimmy
It's just me your fine. Is there a junction box for servo wires? If you know of one please let me know.

Thanks,DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniweb View Post
If you have access to a 3D printer you can print a Bixler 2 Mount. I uploaded the model I used for mine.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30368
Hi Yoniweb.
Fantastic bit of kit for the HK Bixler 2.
I have not got access to a 3D printer. How much would it cost for you to make one for me? I am sure there are plenty out there that would also want one.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:21 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Hi Yoniweb.
Fantastic bit of kit for the HK Bixler 2.
I have not got access to a 3D printer. How much would it cost for you to make one for me? I am sure there are plenty out there that would also want one.
i have used these many times with success https://www.ponoko.com/
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
i have used these many times with success https://www.ponoko.com/
guess I'll just make either a depron one myself or one out of ply like I did for my bixler1

Hobbyking Bixler FPV / AP modifications (6 min 15 sec)

I had to jinx myself didn't I... this is what I get when I upload the .stl to ponoko:
Last edited by CorporalB; Oct 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
edit : THIS IS FOR BIXLER 1, probably does not fit the v2 - sorry !

also you have this option for 4 USD :

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=22731

alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Last edited by alainphoto; Oct 13, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
zeraldo
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
my bixler2's stickers have deattached preaty easily after some light crashes. do you have any PDF or cdr files for some cool new stickers which fit the bixler2?
it would be nicer if the stickers covered a larger area than the stock ones, so it would be easier to see the plane's position from afar.

thank you guys
zerado is offline Find More Posts by zerado
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:53 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerado View Post
my bixler2's stickers have deattached preaty easily after some light crashes. do you have any PDF or cdr files for some cool new stickers which fit the bixler2?
it would be nicer if the stickers covered a larger area than the stock ones, so it would be easier to see the plane's position from afar.

thank you guys
I have a complete set of scans of the Bixler 1 -- but can't find them just now. I did find these two which you may be able to modify if you have some graphic skills. I'll have to look around more later.

EDIT*** Look what I found -- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ent_Decal.html
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Oct 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM.