HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:29 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
Hi,

My build is basically done and I am happy with the product. Here are some notes\thoughts\experiences\opinions

-Bullet connector came off wire while disconnecting esc, was a very tight fit. No biggy, soldered a new one and all good.

- Motor shaft appears to be bent, will do some double checking tonight though ( Thanks Stuart for the direction to cust support.)

- Decals were pulled off by masking tape when it was removed after painting nose black.

- I fitted a 7x5 APC prop. This leaves maybe 5mm clearance to the tail boom (not much!)

- Foam protruding from walls and floor of battery bay may cause some greviences moving batteries around. I will cut mine back and reinforce with some CF strips.

- Clevies seem a little piss weak- will propably replace in time.

- I won't be using the screws to secure wings, just don't like the idea in general. I prefer something with a little more give when I hit the tree\ground my own head

- It looks like the clear plastic could be removed from the canopy and a FPV cam mounted on the remaining foam.

- Bix 1 FPV module doesn't quite fit in canopy (I think it will with some trimming.)

- Foam fillers for flaps servo voids protruded down quite alot from the wing. I didn't install flaps (yet) so just trimmed foam down to wing surface level.

-4mm Rod is a great fit for inside stock spar.

- I ran a little CA down the CF rod running down the fuselage, really not needed but what the hey.

- I used supplied glue for most of the build, no issue there.

All this is said after only spending a little build time last night. Just thought it might help out some people.I reserve the right to change opinion once I have actually spent some more time and actually flown it I expect to maiden and FPV tomorrow. Also will throw it on the watt meter later tonight and post results.

Cheers,
Gim
awesomeness mate!
wish i was there tomorrow!
i'm hoping mine will be here late this week, any issues you report i'll rectify & hope to have mine ready next week... shall we then fly...?
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
Gimmer, I'll make sure the product team get wind of your comments, so thanks for that.

yes the decals are waterslide type so care must be taken when working around them. That said, they are much lighter than the standard plastic decals.

porcia83, good stuff.

S.
Yep. I prefer the new decals, no complaints just an FYI for people.
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
awesomeness mate!
wish i was there tomorrow!
i'm hoping mine will be here late this week, any issues you report i'll rectify & hope to have mine ready next week... shall we then fly...?
Sounds like a plan
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
Hi all, maidened my B2 today. I was quite disappointed with the stock performance. I used a 40amp esc together with a 3cell 2200 35c lipo, stock motor and prop. I had to dial in some clicks of up elevator because the motor did not give enough power to climb out with 50% throttle. I had to hold between 65-70% throttle to fly straight. With less than that she started to loose altitude. Between 80 and 100% throttle little or nothing happens other than a louder noise from the prop. The stock motor is crap in my B2 thats for sure. Usually you could cruise with 45-50% throttle in a low powered setup, but not in this. Top speed is between 35-40mph. No vertical and a pretty low climbing ability, i would guess 20 degrees before stall with 70% throttle. The positive thing is that this will be a great trainer for a first or second plane pilot. So now i need help from you guys to find a motor that will make this fly and climb as she should. Any tips?
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Last edited by iceman3; Aug 14, 2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
4,961 Posts
Hmm...I wondered about the motor and how it would work with a bigger frame. Did they put in a newer/more powerful motor?
porcia83 is online now Find More Posts by porcia83
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
porcia, i dont know about the motor, but i know many pilots will be quite disappointed. My B2 do not fly as fast as in the movie, and it sure doesnt climb like that either. I tried a loop, but that needs a lot of speed in a dive to get around, or else she will break to one side at the top. The stall is very easy to get out of, so the stock setup will be good enough for a beginner, but if you have flown for some time this plane will, sorry to say it, be boring with the stock setup.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
4,961 Posts
meh...

Bummer
porcia83 is online now Find More Posts by porcia83
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
268 Posts
Hmm... I had that same problem with my original Bixler - as it turned out, the prop was reversed. Maybe try it with the prop facing the other direction and see if that helps.

My B2 was delivered today, but it's unlikely I'll get to maiden it for a few days due to weather and other committments. I'll be curious to see if my experiences match yours. I'd think with the larger prop you'd get an increase in thrust and better overall performance...
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:35 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
Wombat, the prop is on, the right way. That means reversed. It is not enough power in the motor to deliver proper thrust. I think 06:1 in thrust. It should have been enough, but once in the air it doesnt impress much. I think of the guys with fpv gear, and how they are going to struggle to get an acceptable cruise speed and height, and dont have to go 75-100% throttle all the way. Time will tell, maybe my motor is a bad one, but so far i have to swap the stock motor for something a little more inspiring one.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:29 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
[QUOTE=stuart warne;22440817]Thanks guy's, for the feedback/replies, glad everything is getting through undamaged.

Re the bent shaft, gimmer, please contact customer service, they should be able to help. R.T.k.F, let me get this info to the product guy's (I work in the video dept, just can't kick the R/C habit ) I'm sure they'll find this useful. I think a Kit version may be offered, but don't quote me on that. This I assume will have the two fuzz 1/2's.

Cheers Stuart.
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3 View Post
Wombat, the prop is on, the right way. That means reversed. It is not enough power in the motor to deliver proper thrust. I think 06:1 in thrust. It should have been enough, but once in the air it doesnt impress much. I think of the guys with fpv gear, and how they are going to struggle to get an acceptable cruise speed and height, and dont have to go 75-100% throttle all the way. Time will tell, maybe my motor is a bad one, but so far i have to swap the stock motor for something a little more inspiring one.
Thanks for the heads up iceman..
Wonder if changing the prop to an APC with the same spec will help.? The B1's prop was rubbish so that was one of the first mods..

I have a bigger motor in stock that was ment for a B1, from your testing, it needs to go in first up to handle the FPV gear..
Whats peoples thought on this one?
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Weird... I almost wonder if there's something wrong with your motor - the demo video on the HobbyKing site shows a decent climb rate with a GoPro mounted.

I've heard reports of problems with the bullet connectors on the motor leads - maybe that could be the problem?

I'll be able to run some tests on my Bix2 and see if I have performance problems too. I'll try running with the stock prop at first then switch to an APC prop (which I intended to do anyway) and see what that does for performance.

The motor listed below should be a good replacement - I run that on my modified FPV Bixler and it gives good performance even when swinging a 7x5 prop.
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,591 Posts
Quote:
porcia, i dont know about the motor, but i know many pilots will be quite disappointed. My B2 do not fly as fast as in the movie, and it sure doesnt climb like that either. I tried a loop, but that needs a lot of speed in a dive to get around, or else she will break to one side at the top. The stall is very easy to get out of, so the stock setup will be good enough for a beginner, but if you have flown for some time this plane will, sorry to say it, be boring with the stock setup.
Please do check your prop, as I can assure you we made no speed changes to the flight footage. The model was stock too. You should be able to loop from level flight ETC with the B2. Please have a closer look at the model and if there are any faulty parts C/S will be able to help you out.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:31 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
Please do check your prop, as I can assure you we made no speed changes to the flight footage. The model was stock too. You should be able to loop from level flight ETC with the B2. Please have a closer look at the model and if there are any faulty parts C/S will be able to help you
out.

Yeah, something must be amiss, because intuitively 1300kv swinging a 7x5e prop on 3S should be plenty of power for this 1.5m wing span airframe. In fact, the only slightly smaller MPX Easy Star II is designed for 1100kv turning a 7x6 folder, and there hasn't been any complaints of poor performance using the suggested power system specs.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
iceman, text on the prop facing the nose?

where did you put the cg?
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre