Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikbaci View Post
HI there , I bought the motor from HK here is the link

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28403

Make sure you get a 40A esc as I tried with a 30A but almost melted the fuselage ( definetly melted the glue of the velcro ) Or if you use the 30A esc then change/lenghten the cables and fit it ouside the fuselage to cool down as it gets pretty hot.

With a 45A esc I have no problems whatsoever.

Also use an outrunner prop with it I really do not know why, but the stock prop does not work as well as the outrunner Electric prop which I fitted reversed . I also had to invert the motor cables as ( being an outrunner motor it spins in the opposite way)

I think it is everything ask away if you need .

Mik
Thanks for that, going to order one.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
I want to order a Bixler 2 kit and the parts.

I have a Turnigy D2826-6 already.

Can anyone tell me how long from the Aileron servos to the cockpit? I want to order the right extension wires.

If anyone had a complete buy list for all the parts that would be great, but that is too much to hope for.

Thanks
Shimmy is online now Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Beautiful. Thanks for the example on the velcro guys. This looks like a great idea - much better than fiddling around with the screws!

Magnets were the other option I thought of, but not sure exactly how I'd go about that so I'll give this velcro mod a shot.

Cheers!
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Name: Rc Motor 3.gif
Views: 469
Size: 194.2 KB
Description:

I cut the top of the motor housing and removed the stock motor and it's too small wires. Flip the mounting can around and screwed the new 2200kv motor to it and shoved it back in leaving the motor on the outside.

I don't want to glue all this back together then have to change out a motor are go back to stock motor and cut it out again. The side walls of the motor housing are thin, this motor is powerfully only if I glue this can in with enough contact area to keep it still will it be what it should be and with that much glue I'll not be able to get it out.

So I'm going to use Zip ties and squash it in place, what do y'all think?

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:39 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
the screw tubes are going to be amongs the first things I take off this plane. I'll be using neo magnets and velcro like I did in my B1.

if anything, the screw in wings would have been better if you could have screwed them in from the top rather than the bottom and through the entire fuselage.
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:08 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
679 Posts
Going to use a Hyperion P1919-6 turn outrunner, (7 x 5 prop) Hobbywing 30 amp esc and HXT900 servo's in my Bixler 2 kit. I have the servo's, just waiting for the esc and the motor to arrive.
I have a 4 turn version of the P1919 turning a 5 x 5 prop, in my AXN Clouds Fly and I am very happy with it. It certainly livened up the Clouds Fly.
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Hi,

I hate to nag (a third time) however I want to order a new Bixler2, however I know that the HXT900 has short leads. I want embed extension wires in the wing to a "junction box" in the wing where I will connect the servo to the extension.

How long a servo extension do I need for the Ailerons and how long do I need for the flaps?

Please, if someone could measure their wings I could order a new plane.

Thanks
Last edited by Shimmy; Oct 11, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:12 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,057 Posts
I would get the 12" one..
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
I would get the 12" one..
12" ~= 30 cm. How long is the distance from the Servo to the fuselage ?

I think that I would need about 15 cm (6 ") from the wing, up inside the fuse to connect to the receiver?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Hi,

I hate to nag (a third time) however I want to order a new Bixler2, however I know that the HXT900 has short leads. I want embed extension wires in the wing to a "junction box" in the wing where I will connect the servo to the extension.

How long a servo extension do I need for the Ailerons and how long do I need for the flaps?

Thanks
I normally buy in bulk servo extension leads. I bought ten 60 CM leads for 5 $
then I measured how long i need and I get my soldering hiron and shorten or extend them . If you do not know how to solder then measure the distance give it a couple of inches of slack and order them of the nearest lenght .
The motor wires are coming all in 1 mtr lenght so buy a meter and cut it to lenght it has to be high current wire with silicon vest for the heat. You will need to solder the motor connectors though therefore you need to buy the bullet connetctors as well for th motor

It is question of the chicken or the egg.. I frankly think you need the plane before you make a list up. However just go through all the previous mailing and pick the one you need.
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
I'm posting this here because I frequent this thread and I've come to think of a lot of you guys as family. In fact, really close family with chiselled good looks and healthy, well groomed beards.

If you're honest, we could all spare a few ús or $s because otherwise we wouldn't all have beautiful Bixler 2s with tasty modifications.

So... instead of ordering that extra fiber tape or lipo pack, why not do something awesome and sponsor me to help kids with disabilites?

Here's my page: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...cipantID=39496

And my teams chosen charity: https://www.facebook.com/SpecialEffectCharity

Read about the good cause. Donate some money. It'll make you feel good. It will also dramatically reduce the cost of your hobby when the flight gods decide not to strike your Bixler from the skies with fried motor wires. This happened to me a few days ago but hasn't happened again since I signed up to help the charity (and installed really thick replacement motor wire)

phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Shimmy, the ailaron wires get you 'almost' to the front but I added a 6" extention so I could pull the wings out further before unpluging them. The wires on the flap servos also get you into the fuse but not to the front. so I used 4ea. 6" extentions.

You will NOT like the screws that hold the wings, replace them with 'sheet metal screws slightly larger and make them cut thier own threads, after in and out twice they become very nice to use.

The 2826/6 2200kv motor is very powerfull and to use it you will need to pull the stock motor and plastic 'can' mount and flip it around, mount your new motor and slide it back in leaving the motor on the outside. New wires the same gauge as the motor wires are needed to replace the skiny wires that came out when you pulled the motor. Here they mine are 9" long. On them are 3male and 3 female W/ heat shrink sleaves covering soldering joint.
The prop is APC 7X4e.
ESC 60 amp. (that and a 30 amp was all I had) but 40 amp would be fine.

Name: SHIM 1copy.jpg
Views: 481
Size: 119.0 KB
Description: Name: SHIM 2copy.jpg
Views: 607
Size: 106.9 KB
Description: Name: Shim 3 copy.jpg
Views: 563
Size: 109.7 KB
Description: Name: RC motor 1.jpg
Views: 461
Size: 42.7 KB
Description: Name: RC Motor 2.jpg
Views: 529
Size: 51.1 KB
Description:

Hope this helps,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:19 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Here's the motor I'm putting in my Bixler2, with a 2200mAh 3s battery and 60A ESC. Had it on a 74" glider that didn't deserve it, it's moving up!

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...=MD2505-C-2535

I'll start with an APC 7x5E prop. Might also try a Master Airscrew 7x4 three-blade, if it doesn't prove to be too much propeller for this motor.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,874 Posts
Maiden and it was good

Ok, so I did the maiden on my Bixler 2 today --- after flying several Bixlers and Sky surfers -- maybe 200 or more flights over the past year -- a Bixler has become like an extension of my hand.

Contrary to what has been said -- The Bixler 2 has the same pull or power on launch as the Bixler 1 -- but does not have the top end speed as the Bixler

1. Our of hand launch is absolutely identical at full throttle. The lower Kv is perfectly matched by the increase in prop diameter. That said -- I throw away the stock prop and only use APC -- so I can't compare performance with stock props. I think too many NOOBs are getting the impression the stock motor is inadequate -- it is not. If you want something fast -- why not go for the Dynamic-S -- which is fast and fun -- but more expensive -- but after the time and money to replace the motor -- you'd probably be much happier with the Dynamic-S if it's speed you want. You'd be happier with the Bixler 2 if you are learning to fly or want a versatile airframe.

Mixing the flaps to the ailerons is a blast! I have three position switch. pos 1 is mixed with ailerons -- pos 2 is neutral -- and position 3 is a slow deploy to full flaps.

I had to mix 15% down elevator with the flaps and put both of them on a slower setting -- so they deploy over 2 seconds. With this setting I can fly down the runway waist high so slow it's ridiculous. Then flip them up, power up .. flip them to mix and roll like a drill.

To get axial roll I had to put a bit of differential in. Mine rolls better to the right than the left .

The control surfaces DO flex at higher speeds. Get a friend with a good fast zoom lens and pull out of a dive near him/her - while they shoot pictures of hte pullout. I need to address this for sure.

The idea of needing to replace the motor is silly. I hand launch with my right hand with my left hand on Right stick until I can get my hand in place. NO problems. Alternatively -- You can make a switch that will give you about 20% up elevator and hand launch with that deployed -- switching it off as soon as you get your hand in position. If you've got er9x radio you can set the switch to go off as soon as you move the elevator. I'm not sure about programming other radios.

This IS a good platform for FPV - as it will fly very slow and stable. I bought a second Fuse that I'll cut the top off of he nose and replace with a flat depron/thin ply platform for mounting camera.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:36 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
to be honest, it's not the kv of the motor I'm worried about, it's the flimsiness of the wires, the quality of the bullet connector soldering and the bent shaft that's of concern.

I'm not trying to quash your findings scott, I'm just saying that I'd prefer to use a better quality motor with which I've had very good experiences with in the past.

I will be using this setup:

Motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16234
Prop: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7946
motor mount (for bigger prop): http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=748

this powertrain was initially intended for my fully FPV laden Vega flying wing and I have no doubt it will provide more than enough power for a bixler2
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB