SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:35 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Has anybody mixed the flaps with ailerons when flaps were not otherwise engaged -- so the flaps were ailerons unless being deployed?

I set mine up up this way, but has flown yet.
Scott, can you show me how you did that? I have a DX6i . My brother and I talked about that and if it was possible... now I see it is.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:21 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Scott, can you show me how you did that? I have a DX6i . My brother and I talked about that and if it was possible... now I see it is.
I use a Turnigy 9x with er9x firmware -- so anything can be mixed with anything. You need to find a Spektrum Guru as the software is completely different.
-- I'm also planning to try Crow -- flaps down and ailerons up -- major airbrake.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:59 AM
Chile, Región de Los Lagos, Puerto Montt
Joined Jun 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashem Dave View Post
dontarro, the Bixler's (1 & 2) make excellent trainers for novice flyers. Just go on enjoying it and leave it stock for the time being. Progress onto something more "conventional", like a high winged model (Cessna etc) and then a low winger (both with landing gear of course) and then if you want to mod the Bixler, do it then. Welcome to the sensational world of R/C flight.
Thank you very much for your advice.
Before flying the bixler2, flew for more than two years a trex450 on FPV mode, but I'm changing model because the flight times were very short.

I'm thinking of skipping the stage of high-wing plane, and go to a low-wing aircraft.
dontarro is offline Find More Posts by dontarro
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:35 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Name: 7x6e prop copy.jpg
Views: 592
Size: 162.6 KB
Description:

Hope this is correct please proof this and tell me if this is right.
Athow this right way wrong way prop problem is evident to me now is was not when I started building planes. If all this is right it might help someone.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:40 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Attachment 5218177

Athow this right way wrong way prop problem is evident to me now is was not when I started building planes. If all this is right it might help someone.

DJ
Looks right to me.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
Stock motor with fpv gear. Cruises at half throttle.

Carmel, CA beach 2 FPV (6 min 14 sec)
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Attachment 5218177

DJ
Yes, the key is that regardless of where it's located on the aircraft, (i.e. pusher or tractor) the convex side always faces the direction of flight.

What often confuses people is that the prop will move air in the correct direction even if it's installed backwards, it's just very inefficient in that direction. The free flight guys use this as a trimming tool to make sure their planes are flying right before running everything at full power.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:26 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Ugh, it's freaking IMPOSSIBLE to fit everything I have inside this fuselage. I'm gonna have to put my receiver outside the fuselage to make this work. Yikes.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
New Bixler-2

After loosing my SkySufer-1 to the wind, I am going to purchase a Bixler 2.

Can someone tell me how long the wing rod is?

I want to install extensions for the servos in the wing, so that I do not have to open the whole wing to swap servos. Can someone tell me the distance from the aileron servos to the cockpit. Do I need 45 cm extensions? 60 cm?

Thanks
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:20 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Well, today's flight was mixed.

I flew on the football field so the grass was nice and short. Spontaneously decided to take off from the floor rather than hand launch. It was fine!

Few minutes in... Dead stick! Landed it safely. Turns out those flimsy motor wires had burned out. One carved its own channel into the foam and then sat there until it burned through.

Hard to see on the pic but here it is

Moral is, probably best to put decent wire in there, especially if you upgrade the motor. I'm only running a 1600kv for a bit of extra grunt.
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:47 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post

I flew on the football field so the grass was nice and short. Spontaneously decided to take off from the floor rather than hand launch. It was fine!

Few minutes in... Dead stick! Landed it safely. Turns out those flimsy motor wires had burned out. One carved its own channel into the foam and then sat there until it burned through.

Moral is, probably best to put decent wire in there, especially if you upgrade the motor. I'm only running a 1600kv for a bit of extra grunt.
Amen to that. I pulled out the stock motor and put in a 2200KV motor and much heavier wire. I could hardly believe how thin that wire was, even if it didn't burn up it would get very hot and that increases resistance.

DJ
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post

That was the first thing I changed when I changed motor . They warmed up just with the engine at min speed. And they too started metling my foam ... so
off they went !
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Here is a video of the Bixler two with all mods I made:
2200 Kv Motor
Outrunner APC prop
45A Esc
Flaps ( full house set up )
Reversed Servo for flaps and sevo leads extended for easy mounting and dimounting of the wings.
It flew 37 min on a 2200 mAh Lipo

Look at 4:15 It is taking off at 75% throttle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfc_...1&feature=plcp
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:45 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,299 Posts
Here's a vid of my first flight on a 7x6x3 prop and 1100kv motor and thicker wires:

HobbyKing Bixler 2 with Tri-blade prop (5 min 42 sec)
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:20 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Is there an advantage to a 3 blade prop and is it true that for the same pitch reduce the dia. by 1"?

DJ