HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
What's up everyone?

After trawling through this monster thread I decided that I HAD to get a Bixler 2. The original Bixler was and still is my favorite plane, so forgiving yet also fun (and inexpensive!). But it's getting a bit tired now, so when the HobbyKing UK warehouse got some Bixler 2's in I grabbed the 3rd last one phew!

So it should arrive tomorrow (Parcelforce already messed up their 48hr delivery, and judging by the tracking they seem to have given the parcel to Royal Mail! Never had that before on my other orders from HK UK) fingers crossed, but I decided I would start planning the addition of flaps now.

I've got 2 spare 9g servos and a Y cable, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the servos travel in the same direction when using my Turnigy 9x.

Anyone care to enlighten me? Or do I have to wait weeks for a servo reverse thingy from HobbyKing

Thanks everyone for the great thread!
-Al
Hi Again.
Just took pics of my flaps set up. Hope they help. All that is left is to add a Y laed.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:31 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
9x 3 position Flaps Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Hi Again.
Just took pics of my flaps set up. Hope they help. All that is left is to add a Y laed.

YES! Thanks for the tips about installing the flaps in the same direction, I considered this but then I found an article on FliteTest which detailed how to use the 3 position switch for flaps: http://flitetest.com/articles/3_stag...ysky/Eurgle_9x

And it worked!

Position 1 (top) = neutral flap
Position 2 (middle) = take-off flap
Position 3 (bottom) = full flap

Just a warning that there are 2 'AUX' settings in the mix menu, you need to read the instructions carefully or you'll use the wrong one and the flaps won't move equally- If you give it a go you'll see what I mean

Thanks for all the help!
-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:43 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
3 pos switch? I find it better to use the simple "flip" the servo over so they're both the same way... plug into a single channel with a Y connector.... then put that channel onto a pot on the tx (variable knob). that way you get much better control over exactly how much flaps you're applying. always good to mix in a bit of elevator too
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashpc View Post
adza Why don´t you use some proper carbon rod
Basically there is none available locally. I live four hours from the nearest hobby store that has stock to buy some, and its going to cost me more than $17 just to get one by the time i add shipping. :-(

(Plus I'd have to wait as well). So I'm trying to find something i can use that's available locally.
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:02 PM
Brazil, GO, Goiânia
Joined Sep 2012
19 Posts
My first flight was today!! A friend take-off the plane for me, and in the air I toked the control. I liked a lot, very easy to fly. For a first flight of a person, I liked a lot. I never flown even an simulator before.

Goood plane, will buy some replacements just to keep the place good looking after I learn to fly well.
AndreDal is offline Find More Posts by AndreDal
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:41 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,093 Posts
I used the search function to no avail.

Does the kit version come with the fuselage in 2 pieces or 1?

Our club field has an a.c. runway. Will the plastic skid plates be enough protection for landings on the runway or should I do the Norcalmatcat landing gear mod?
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:04 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,510 Posts
Kit fuselage is in 2 pieces.
The skid plate is pretty tough. But you could add a little packing tape at the wing tips in case of dragging a wing on landing.
1987tc is online now Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:47 AM
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
Hi all,
Bix2 spare wings were just sitting there lonely when the Bix1 kit arrived...
So may I present Bix1.5.
I have only flown it once briefly as the winds around here at the moment are very gusty and I had no hope of trimming it out .
P.S the lights make it a lot easier to fly at dusk.
Xmod is online now Find More Posts by Xmod
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Here is my first attempt at video. Just mounted my sony cybershot to the front! This plane is just so easy to fly its unreal!

Bixler 2 with onboard camera!! (9 min 15 sec)
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
I've been flying my Zephyr and crazy scratch build recently.

I took the Bix2 out yesterday and I absolutely love it. It's so nice to fly! The other planes are faster and more aerobatic but the Bix is still my fave. I get lots of height and glide around for ages.

Bixler 2 - On board camera - Leamington Spa (2 min 32 sec)
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
241 Posts
Just came back from a very short maiden flight.. this plane is very slow compared to the axn so it was sort of easy to handle. I noticed right away that even though throttle was around 70% (quite a lot compared to the AXN) i had to put flaps to go up.. else it won't gain altitude... once up, i could turn and see that the wings looked like flapping, yes very flexible and sort of coming out so i decided to get back to land.. activated flaps again and achieved a very soft first landing.

I had put those 2 screws inside, what a badly designed system!... they are inside all the way but never end screwing (of course, makes no sense to screw foam!). I guess that a hard side landing will rip them appart on the inside thanks to this 2 screws that actually don't go out either.... pffff!

Please let me know if i'm too much off the mark with them.

Also, I think our Bixler2 is so underpowered cause of the bent shaft that Hobby King stated will help us replace.
funkz is online now Find More Posts by funkz
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post
Just came back from a very short maiden flight.. this plane is very slow compared to the axn so it was sort of easy to handle. I noticed right away that even though throttle was around 70% (quite a lot compared to the AXN) i had to put flaps to go up.. else it won't gain altitude... once up, i could turn and see that the wings looked like flapping, yes very flexible and sort of coming out so i decided to get back to land.. activated flaps again and achieved a very soft first landing.

I had put those 2 screws inside, what a badly designed system!... they are inside all the way but never end screwing (of course, makes no sense to screw foam!). I guess that a hard side landing will rip them appart on the inside thanks to this 2 screws that actually don't go out either.... pffff!

Also, I think our Bixler2 is so underpowered cause of the bent shaft that Hobby King stated will help us replace.
I've changed out the sttock screws with slightly larger sheet metal screws and let them cut new threads, works great, but I don't like screws so I'm replacing them with rare earth magnets.

I've think I read here that a been shaft will make it fly like youv'e got the prop on backwards.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:37 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post

I find your experience with thrust a bit perplexing. Are you sure you have the propeller on the right way? A few people have put theirs on backwards and this resulted in very poor thrust. Also, did you do the ESC max throttle set right after binding? It may not know where the end points are for your throttle stick travel.
My first flight (before I burned out the stock motor) was not as you described. Mine as able to climb and accelerate with full flaps deployed. Still not real impressive but not as weak as yours. Now that I've got another motor in there, my Bix 2 moves quite well. I now have a 3-bladed prop installed (same pitch and diameter) but haven't tested yet due to windy conditions at the moment.
I concur about the stupid wing attachment screws. Mine don't screw all the way in either and I need to carry tweezers to extract them after. A truly dumb system. Magnets or velcro will be in the works.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
241 Posts
Hi, well, it was a bit windy.. not more than 20km but still it could be that conditions were not helping to lift the plane.. also, since the wings somehow came loose, lots of air flow push was getting lost. PLUS shaft is bent as per "factory default"!

Obviously all that will sum up, and leave me also perplexed.

I will see if i can get a motor tomorrow now that HK said they will reimburse me for it. Hope to get the stock one out in a simple way. Any tip on that front I should pay attention to?

Tx!
funkz is online now Find More Posts by funkz
Last edited by funkz; Oct 07, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:19 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
phoxache that is cool! Next time give it a shot without the gyro-you will have so much more fun.
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)