HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
Man you guys convinced me to pull the trigger!
ampdchaos is offline Find More Posts by ampdchaos
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:36 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
4,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post
Thanks for digging this info out Scott, I will see if we can cut the shaft, this will mean that the propeller will be touching the fuselage? I'm guessing you also changed propeller?

In the meantime i have opened a claim via paypal to see if Hobby King answers.
Naw, I have a 7-5 APC prop. It's goooood
scott page is online now Find More Posts by scott page
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Have flown my BIXLER 2 several times .... I also have real questions regarding the proper COG (Center of Gravity). I have to use excessive 'up' elevator also. Just using a 1800mah battery.

I am thinking I need to add weigth to the back. Nose too heavy based on the COG noted in the manual.

Not sure what is going on.
I have found mine really likes mixes.... Because mine can be trimmed out going 100% but on a nice slow 20% pass it tends to bob up a bit. Even more so with flaps because on the stock setup its so floaty its almost annoying to fly without some down elevator mixed in. It seems to have these tendencies to some extent at +- the recommended CG.
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:21 PM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
289 Posts
Flaps with Turnigy 9x

What's up everyone?

After trawling through this monster thread I decided that I HAD to get a Bixler 2. The original Bixler was and still is my favorite plane, so forgiving yet also fun (and inexpensive!). But it's getting a bit tired now, so when the HobbyKing UK warehouse got some Bixler 2's in I grabbed the 3rd last one phew!

So it should arrive tomorrow (Parcelforce already messed up their 48hr delivery, and judging by the tracking they seem to have given the parcel to Royal Mail! Never had that before on my other orders from HK UK) fingers crossed, but I decided I would start planning the addition of flaps now.

I've got 2 spare 9g servos and a Y cable, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the servos travel in the same direction when using my Turnigy 9x.

Anyone care to enlighten me? Or do I have to wait weeks for a servo reverse thingy from HobbyKing

Thanks everyone for the great thread!
-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:33 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
4,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
What's up everyone?

After trawling through this monster thread I decided that I HAD to get a Bixler 2. The original Bixler was and still is my favorite plane, so forgiving yet also fun (and inexpensive!). But it's getting a bit tired now, so when the HobbyKing UK warehouse got some Bixler 2's in I grabbed the 3rd last one phew!

So it should arrive tomorrow (Parcelforce already messed up their 48hr delivery, and judging by the tracking they seem to have given the parcel to Royal Mail! Never had that before on my other orders from HK UK) fingers crossed, but I decided I would start planning the addition of flaps now.

I've got 2 spare 9g servos and a Y cable, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the servos travel in the same direction when using my Turnigy 9x.

Anyone care to enlighten me? Or do I have to wait weeks for a servo reverse thingy from HobbyKing

-Al
I ran the two flaps on different channels. I'm using ER9x so I had one channel mirror the other channel. The other option (that I'm aware of) is to use a intermediate device that reverses the signal.
scott page is online now Find More Posts by scott page
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:55 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,969 Posts
Quote:

If you want to use a "Y", you can also get 2 identical servos, one of which is already reversed. That's how I did it. You can buy them that way or you can take one and re-solder the internals of the servos to reverse it. There's a YouTube video on how to do this.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:02 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
What's up everyone?

-Al
another easy way is to cut out foam to install one flap servo flipped over, so you can simply use a Y cable, one switch operation, and you wont need a servo reverser. my step son has a stock 9X without any firmware upgrades such as ER9x so i prefered to keep it simple
if you plan to mix in crow setting etc at some point, then you'll need the 2 flap servos on seperate channels
personally i seldom use the flaps, she just floats right on in
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:08 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
If you want to use a "Y", you can also get 2 identical servos, one of which is already reversed. That's how I did it. You can buy them that way or you can take one and re-solder the internals of the servos to reverse it. There's a YouTube video on how to do this.
i think i have a link to that servo reverse wiring video on my blog
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:10 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
+1
DJ

BTW, it was the first time I ever threatened a circuit board with a soldering iron, didn't have to add any solder either. Just do it, it's easy.
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Well guys - I am solidly impressed! After the crash I was going to write this bixler off. The nose was too far bent and distorted to be stremlined for starters - but now after trying the hot water fix - It's 95% better!!!!

I'm pretty confident now that this bird is definitely going to fly again!

Thanks to everyone who has helped!
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:01 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
I can't stand it!
My B2 has been ready for a month, I'm in flight school flying this Cessna 182. I'm going to fly my Sky Surfer i just want one of the trainers to help me dial it in or set up rates for me. So tomorrow I'm going to the glider flyer's (nothing flies but gliders till noon) and see if one of them will help me set it up.

If not would you tell me how to set up the stuff on the tx for my first flight with this plane?

Thank y'all I feel you can tell me how to do this.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:57 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damage2008 View Post
double post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
another easy way is to cut out foam to install one flap servo flipped over, so you can simply use a Y cable, one switch operation, and you wont need a servo reverser. my step son has a stock 9X without any firmware upgrades such as ER9x so i prefered to keep it simple
if you plan to mix in crow setting etc at some point, then you'll need the 2 flap servos on seperate channels
personally i seldom use the flaps, she just floats right on in
Thanks matey, found the link in your blog. Will have a go just now

-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Well, my plane is back in the air, but i have a problem. With the damage to the cf rod I've tried replacing it with wood dowl, but the wings are flexing way to much.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Would ally tubing be too heavy?
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
What's up everyone?

-Al
Hi. I have just this week got the Bixler 2 and started on it. I have just fitted the flap servos. Did not want to mess with servo circuit boards and solder, or buy a servo reverser. All you have to do is place the two servos on the wings facing the same way. One will be in the servo slot cut out, the other just needs a little bit of foam cut out of the slot and it pops in. The only other thing is that you have to cut a new slot in the flap for the push rod horn to fit. Simple. Can post pics to you if required. Pics added to nexp posting below.
Mike
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Last edited by Drone 5; Oct 06, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
adza Why donīt you use some proper carbon rod?

So I got my Bixler2. Itīs my first plane.
Just assembled, went up the hill and threw against pretty turbulent "mid" wind....

... That was f*ing brave (STUPID) idea for beginner. It was damn close two times to hit the ground and not gently way, due to the wind :-) . However I managed not to... Months of simulators, reading technical stuff, and sensitive attitude worked well. Every beginner, patient enaugh, and technically sensitive can maiden his/her training glider plane in good weather.

The bix is a nice machine. Olny real PROBLEM i see are weak clevises and so terribly "out of axis drilled" spinner/carrier. Needs fast replace. But I assembled it by stock items for now.
If you are precise enaugh, assy goes easy and fast. I bought light Zippy Li-Pos 2200mAh, put one of those to the front of bixlers nose, fixed it by wooden block wrapped by black tape. That way I got COG few milimeters behind recommended COG. Kept it like that, so I was sure that after first shot, nose wonīt go right against ground. I also trimmed elevator little bit up to assure that I wonīt participate on any ground-nose session. That was great idea which worked well.

Flight went just fine, few barrel rolls, and slow beginners turns and curves... Landing was fine also. I needed few attempts to get gliding ability of bix, because I missed right landing point few times. Then it went smooth. Some front and crosswind guaranteed slow landing. One of landings was spectacular for me - bix just stood three feet above ground, so I could gently put it on the ground without any scratching the bottom (need to tape it).

Cool machine. Highly recommended for technically based beginners.
Crashpc is offline Find More Posts by Crashpc