HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Good luck with that. I think the motor is pretty cheap and any imbalance can create excess resistance.
Indeed, but we didn't buy it with the stock motor to get something that without any use appears almost like if it its broken. I guess we will change it but I do expect some attention from Hobby Kings side on this very little but uncomfortable issue.
funkz is online now Find More Posts by funkz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post
hi, i'm here setting up my bixler2 with the help of my son, when we had the propeller ready to be fitted to the shaft we noticed, after attaching the propeller, that the shaft is bent. This will certainly add vibrations and bring stress to the internal motor components. Since is not about propeller balancing but the motors shaft that needs to be straighten.. I'm asking here for your advice cause flying the model this way will only mean more vibrations and (we intended to use the model for aerophotography and video -no FPV yet-) less thrust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8lgITxTTE
It is strange it looks like more thant the prop adapter is not centred. But if it is not then shaft is gone. Try to run it without prop just with the shaft and see if it is bent. They are very easy to change you can also buy one locally and change it. I did it on some other models that I nose down in the hard ground.
Just get the correct measurements and it is a matter of undoing a couple of clips and putting them back together .The biggest jobis to pry the motor out of the fuse.
Mik
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikbaci View Post
It is strange it looks like more thant the prop adapter is not centred. But if it is not then shaft is gone. Try to run it without prop just with the shaft and see if it is bent. They are very easy to change you can also buy one locally and change it. I did it on some other models that I nose down in the hard ground.
Just get the correct measurements and it is a matter of undoing a couple of clips and putting them back together .The biggest jobis to pry the motor out of the fuse.
Mik
Thanks Mikbaci, I just had a look at it, seems like a good amount of work to not only get the motor out but replace the shaft. I guess the lesson here is: Don't buy an ARF, get the kit and source the rest of the components at a local store.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:46 PM
jsa
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Have flown my BIXLER 2 several times .... I also have real questions regarding the proper COG (Center of Gravity). I have to use excessive 'up' elevator also. Just using a 1800mah battery.

I am thinking I need to add weigth to the back. Nose too heavy based on the COG noted in the manual.

Not sure what is going on.
jsa is offline Find More Posts by jsa
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:22 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post
Indeed, but we didn't buy it with the stock motor to get something that without any use appears almost like if it its broken. I guess we will change it but I do expect some attention from Hobby Kings side on this very little but uncomfortable issue.
I reported this earlier but I found I needed to cut the shaft a bit over 1cm shorter and add new adapter. At this time I can't recall the size but I think it was a 3.175mm http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMSF2 adapter. It was a tight fit, but once on it worked very very well.
The adapter that came with it was garbage. totally garbage.

Also -- on that missing spar -- double check to see that it's not taped into the box lid or taped onto the cardboard box someplace.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:48 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,953 Posts
mine went in yesterday, on a slope with gusty winds

at first it appeared I had lost rc link, but I killed the throttle as soon as I realized it was in an unrecoverable spin so it wasnt rc fault, besides, we did a healthy range check post mortem, no probs

then we thought it may have been [my] pilot error and perhaps tip stalled it

but then watching the flight vid, it looked like she snaps herself into a spin

we discovered the left aileron servo had jammed/stripped
she nosed in from approx 40-50' into a clump of grass, very unlikely to cause a servo to strip, wings are totally unscathed

just a word of warning that these servos may be questionable
I'm swapping mine out... rather be safe than sorry... again...

I'm happy to post the crash vid if anyone wants to see it
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I reported this earlier but I found I needed to cut the shaft a bit over 1cm shorter and add new adapter. At this time I can't recall the size but I think it was a 3.175mm http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMSF2 adapter. It was a tight fit, but once on it worked very very well.
Thanks for digging this info out Scott, I will see if we can cut the shaft, this will mean that the propeller will be touching the fuselage? I'm guessing you also changed propeller?

In the meantime i have opened a claim via paypal to see if Hobby King answers.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:21 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Have flown my BIXLER 2 several times .... I also have real questions regarding the proper COG (Center of Gravity). I have to use excessive 'up' elevator also. Just using a 1800mah battery.

I am thinking I need to add weigth to the back. Nose too heavy based on the COG noted in the manual.

Not sure what is going on.
I have also observed this. Mine is balanced as per the manual and I seem to require a bit of UP elevator for it to power off glide at a reasonable rate of descent, without porpoising. I'm using a 2200 battery and I suppose I could move it back even more. I don't know how people manage when they mount GoPros to the thing.
Nevertheless, the plane seems to fly quite well in this configuration, but it would still be nice to have it fly on neutral elevator trim.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Adza you'll really be amazed at how much of a beating these foamies can take. I doubt you'd need to replace any parts. Get the hot glue gun out for broken or split parts (adding a little layer over the top makes it that much tougher), and some scalding water if you need to straighten anything. If surfaces are patched or rough and you expect they'll take more hits (i.e. edges of wings, belly) putting some protective tape over it will help in the future.

I've crashed my Skyfun more times than I can count, seen it explode into pieces and thought 'well surely it's had it' and found a little (or a lot) of hot glue and some packing tape had it ready to go in a few minutes. My Dynamic S also took some bad knocks, and it's still going strong.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post

Also -- on that missing spar -- double check to see that it's not taped into the box lid or taped onto the cardboard box someplace.
Thanks for the info on my missing wing spar. Yep, was taped to corner of box lid. Will have to eat humble pie with hobby king now. Thanks again.
Hope to start putting her together this weekend. Have not checked motor shaft or prop adapter as yet, will let all know on that outcome.
Mike
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
Adza you'll really be amazed at how much of a beating these foamies can take. I doubt you'd need to replace any parts. Get the hot glue gun out for broken or split parts (adding a little layer over the top makes it that much tougher), and some scalding water if you need to straighten anything. If surfaces are patched or rough and you expect they'll take more hits (i.e. edges of wings, belly) putting some protective tape over it will help in the future.

I've crashed my Skyfun more times than I can count, seen it explode into pieces and thought 'well surely it's had it' and found a little (or a lot) of hot glue and some packing tape had it ready to go in a few minutes. My Dynamic S also took some bad knocks, and it's still going strong.
Thanks for the tips guys. I Wasn't aware hot water would do that, that's great news!

In regards to the hot water trick, how hot should it be, and how long should i need it in the hot water? (Ie are we talking a minute, ten, an hour, etc?)

I tried the hot water from our tap (50 deg c) for two minutes but the fuselage is still warped and bend just in front of the wings right up to the noise. It didn't appear to make much difference, so i don't know if i need hotter, or longer soaking time, or both, etc.

I'm excited about the possibility that i might be flying again sooner than i think. If i can get it back to its original shape, and find a replacement for the spar, i might just be able to pull it off! :-)
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adza View Post
In regards to the hot water trick, how hot should it be, and how long should i need it in the hot water? (Ie are we talking a minute, ten, an hour, etc?)
Water needs to be near boiling, from 90 degrees in C should work, and it should not take so long.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:32 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,716 Posts
There are several "How To" Youtube videos about boiling foam to make "beer cooler soup". Never would have believed it till I saw it. It really works.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:16 PM
Brazil, GO, Goi‚nia
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
My B2 arrived today!! Very very impressed about the quality, I liked a lot! It is my first plane, never fly. Now I have the radio, a better motor, props, extra servos and the Bixler 2. The last package will arrive next week with batteries, ESC, connectors and some acessories.

Now some photos:

AndreDal is offline Find More Posts by AndreDal
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,716 Posts
You gonna do a seaplane launch from your pool?