HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Hi Guys. I am new to this thread but have been looking at some of the previous postings.
I have just sent for the Bixler 2, which should arrive in the next 2 weeks. I will be flying it at first with the standard set up. My question is regarding the Flaps. I have never used flaps before but fancy trying them out. My TX is a Spektrum DX6i. The flap switch is either off or on. (no flaps or full flaps). How safe is this sudden flap input. I see from previous postings that most people have switches that can control the travel that is reqiured.
Regards
Mike
A sudden flap activation will make the plane balloon up. Of course, you can mix in some down elevator with the flaps. Start off with about 25% flap and 10% down elevator mix with that (or just be prepared to give it down elevator manually). It's a process of trial and error. Make sure you have plenty of altitude before you flip the flap switch.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
Hi again B2 Crew,

I was looking for an upgrade motor and prop. I'm currently running the stock motor and a 7x6. It's okay but I'd really like to get rid of that stock motor. The wires and shaft size are enough to give me the hump with it.

I was looking at this:

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/221206-2...-p-402397.html

But it says it'll only swing a 7" prop on a 2 cell. I'm trying to get my head round all the options. It takes an age to get anything from HK delivered so I'm looking elsewhere. Giant Shark have been good in terms of price and delivery speed with my other orders.

If someone can spot a good motor/prop combo for the B2 on Giant Shark's website, it'd be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

phox.
Hi phoxache. Just started on this thread as I have just ordered a B2 and was reading the postings. All I can say about these cheap excellent motors is that I have around 12 foam scratch built models all fitted with these motors. All pushers and fitted with 6x4 props and 30amp ESC. The set up is great with plenty of thrust, with some aircaft giving vertical cilmb. Batteries are all 11.1V.
Was thinking of this set up for the B2 also.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Stock motor doing takeoffs from the grass.

Ok the stock motor will do take offs from grass , but flaps need to be used.
I just ordered the 2826 and some different pitch 7 inch props.
Bixler 2 with onboard cam (6 min 40 sec)
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
A sudden flap activation will make the plane balloon up. Of course, you can mix in some down elevator with the flaps. Start off with about 25% flap and 10% down elevator mix with that (or just be prepared to give it down elevator manually). It's a process of trial and error. Make sure you have plenty of altitude before you flip the flap switch.
Thank you for commenting to this point. Never flown flaps, still in flight school, 'Buddy Boxed'. But I saw a servo speed reducer here. So I have 3 planes, they all have flaps. With this in mind - If I can slow down the flap deployment to a crawl I can compinsate hands -on with the elevator.

The performance of a 'snap to flaps W / elevator' is only good at one speed right?

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Thank you for commenting to this point. Never flown flaps, still in flight school, 'Buddy Boxed'. But I saw a servo speed reducer here. So I have 3 planes, they all have flaps. With this in mind - If I can slow down the flap deployment to a crawl I can compinsate hands -on with the elevator.

The performance of a 'snap to flaps W / elevator' is only good at one speed right?

DJ
If you deploy flaps high up enough, you can practice how much down elevator to give when you flip the flap switch. You generally don't deploy flaps when the airspeed is high. It's something you use when coming in for a landing or if you are flying a sailplane and you want more hang time.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by your last question. I think you are asking if the flap deployment on a TX that has no speed adjustment for flap activation, will the mixed in elevator activate at the same rate? I believe it does. If you use a servo speed reducer on the flaps, the mixed in elevator will still activate quickly, which could cause a sudden momentary dive. Best to not use mix if you have that kind of TX.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:19 PM
|Taranis|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
If you deploy flaps high up enough.....
Just to clarify for those who may not know better -- by "high enough" Xviper is referring to the degree to which the flaps are deployed -- not the direction.

Flaps deploy down from neutral, and spoilers deploy up.
Flaps give you more lift and reduce the speed at which you'll stall -- where spoilers deployed as spoilerons rather than from mid chord kill lift but make the airplane prone to tip stalling.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:11 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Just to clarify for those who may not know better -- by "high enough" Xviper is referring to the degree to which the flaps are deployed -- not the direction.

Flaps deploy down from neutral, and spoilers deploy up.
Flaps give you more lift and reduce the speed at which you'll stall -- where spoilers deployed as spoilerons rather than from mid chord kill lift but make the airplane prone to tip stalling.
actually I thought xviper meant, practise up high enough, as in have plenty of altitude, as in ye olde adage "3 mistakes" high, and all that jazz

with my 1.2kg fpv Bix2, i flick the switch to full down flaps and she balloons nose high but just as quickly settles to level flight... yet my step son's Bix2, lightship and rock stock using a 2200mah, deploy flaps and she really balloons and needs elev mixed in. It was blowing when I played with the flaps, too difficult to get the mix accurately, but didnt seem to need slow movement mixed in, just some down elev when the flaps are deployed

I must say the difference in flight characteristics between my laden fpv B2 and step son's 750kg-ish B2, is quite substantial... LOS I wanted to keep flying his B2, a bunch of fun
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
So had my kit for a few weeks and managed to get everything I needed for my first flight (both the planes's and mine)

Went out to the local club to introduce myself and found some really nice helpers who got me setup. It was the first B2 they had seen and after a nice launch they were commenting about how stable it was without being slow.

Got it up high for me in a circuit then handed me the control's, I hadn't got the downrate set quite right so after a few circuit's I got slightly confused and nose dived under power. Did a bit of damage but no where near as bad I was expecting since it was a ~75ft drop into hard ground - Enough to throw the battery (2200mah) clear of the wreck a good 20ft.

Going to be in the shop for a bit to repair tho
Beccara is offline Find More Posts by Beccara
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccara View Post
So had my kit for a few weeks and managed to get everything I needed for my first flight (both the planes's and mine)

Went out to the local club to introduce myself and found some really nice helpers who got me setup. It was the first B2 they had seen and after a nice launch they were commenting about how stable it was without being slow.

Got it up high for me in a circuit then handed me the control's, I hadn't got the downrate set quite right so after a few circuit's I got slightly confused and nose dived under power. Did a bit of damage but no where near as bad I was expecting since it was a ~75ft drop into hard ground - Enough to throw the battery (2200mah) clear of the wreck a good 20ft.

Going to be in the shop for a bit to repair tho
I would really encourage you to get a sim. Even if its just a cheap one it sure helps to get used to get your controls down before you start! Sorry bout the crash but hang in there!
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Last edited by Dannyboy85; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy85 View Post
I would really encourage you to get a sim. Even if its just a cheap one it sure helps to get used to get your controls down before you start! Sorry bout the crash but hang in there!
Oh I had around 11 hours in the sim but had problem linking my 9x to the comp so wasn't flying with the "real" controls which I think was my key issue. May be time to hack up the 9x and get it running
Beccara is offline Find More Posts by Beccara
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:34 AM
Norway, Aust-Agder, Grimstad
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
cptCory is offline Find More Posts by cptCory
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Thanks Guys for all your inputs regarding flaps and deployment using Spektrum Dx6i TX.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:23 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
actually I thought xviper meant, practise up high enough, as in have plenty of altitude, as in ye olde adage "3 mistakes" high, and all that jazz
That's it. You can do almost anything to your plane in terms of making changes to trim, etc, so long as you have enough altitude to react to it, be it inputting other control movements or undoing what you just did.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptCory View Post
Pesky things are these threes .. I am sourrounded by them I must buy a chainsaw

Mik
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
I'm from Texas and here in the UK its been raining nonstop!! I really wish it would stop! I have tons of cool upgrades for my bix coming plus a new radjet! Not that I'm ready to fly it yet :P You guys with the busted up bixlers are so depressing lol! My wife calls it a blixer
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Last edited by Dannyboy85; Sep 30, 2012 at 04:17 PM.