HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:09 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
That makes sense.

As someone that's recently split the B2 nose in half, I can confirm that I didn't see any washers or weights.
I concur
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
I.do not have a Spectrum DX6i to test this but when the Spectrum DX6i is used on a Bixler 2 the Gear channel is not used. This means that there is a spare channel.

By plugging one flap servo into the Gear channel and mixing 100% Flap to Gear then the reversing on the Gear channel can be used to reverse one flap servo. Just be careful not to inadvertently operate the gear switch while the model is in flight.

Ken
That is how I do it. One servo is plugged into the flap channel, one servo is plugged into the gear channel. That does work, although getting the travel settings to work was really irritating for me. I'm fairly certain that my mixes could be tweaked to work better, but they work for now so I'm disinclined to fiddle with it until the end of flying season...
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:43 PM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
534 Posts
my new motor with 7x6e really made a huge difference, strapped on the goggles and had some fun, cruises at just below 50% and launches are easier.
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:49 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Sunday evening

My missus took some nice photos me flying the B2 with my son.

Thought I'd share 'em here.

phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:32 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
My missus took some nice photos me flying the B2 with my son.

Thought I'd share 'em here.

[
Great pics! Thanks for sharing! Your son looks like he likes the B2, so which he likes more, airplanes or helis?
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:40 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,435 Posts
Your wife takes really nice photographs. Cute junior pilot as well....
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:20 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Bixler 2 Removable Tailplane and Fin

Making the Tailplane removable was incredibly easy. Stock Du-Bro parts were used, one 10-32 x 2 inch Nylon Wing Bolt and one 10-32 Blind nut. The parts weigh 3 grams and the Du-Bro Catalogue Numbers are 164 and 584.

One hole was drilled upward through the rear fuselage and the tailplane. The blind nut was mounted in the base off the fin and glued in using thin CA glue.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Sep 03, 2012 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Add Photo
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Well, I just put together my first Bixler 1 and 2. Both were pretty easy to assemble and they have A LOT more room in the fuselage for stuff than the AXN floaters. I got flaps working on the bixler 2 without using a reverser but it was a pain on the turnigy 9x TX. The bixler 2 was a pain in the ass to get the alieron and flap connectors through.

Out of curiosity, does the motor on the bixler 1 tend to ratchet quite a bit? I ran the motor, felt fine but it ratchets quite a bit more than any other motor I've had. All of the magnets seem to be in the motor and there is no interference or rubbing. anyone else notice this?
SMackaay is offline Find More Posts by SMackaay
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:07 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMackaay View Post
The bixler 2 was a pain in the ass to get the alieron and flap connectors through.
I used a long "Y" servo lead to drag the wires through. I plan to leave two "Y" leads threaded through whenever I remove the wings.

On a recent buy from Hobby king I purchased some of this heat shrink tubing with labels printed on it so I will know which plug is which.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24784

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Sep 03, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:11 AM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Great pics! Thanks for sharing! Your son looks like he likes the B2, so which he likes more, airplanes or helis?
+100 that last pic is real cool.
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:33 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,995 Posts
here's my B2 maiden...

https://vimeo.com/48721483
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman923 View Post
+100 that last pic is real cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Your wife takes really nice photographs. Cute junior pilot as well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Thanks guys!

I really like that last picture too. Thatís my son Seth. He comes with me to the field even though itís a long walk for his little legs (across 3 other fields from the car park). He has a balsa wood plane with an elastic band powered prop (same as I had when I was a kid) which he brings along to throw around and park next to the B2 when we have a break. Honestly, I donít think Iíve ever been happier in my life.

Gina, my other half, brought the dogs for a walk to the field with her camera. Sheís very heavily pregnant at the moment so itís a long walk for her too!

Good times.

P.S. Doubletap. I asked him and he says he prefers the micro helis. This is probably because we donít have to walk all the way to the field and they are involved in more exciting crashes!
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:30 PM
USA, NJ, South Plainfield
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
Got the Bixler2 last week, +1 on the bent prop adapter, motor shaft is ok. Does anyone have suggested control throws? Can't seem to find this info anywhere.
jughandle is online now Find More Posts by jughandle
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:52 PM
Suncoaster
Australia, QLD, Cooloola Cove
Joined Jan 2006
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
On a recent buy from Hobby king I purchased some of this heat shrink tubing with labels printed on it so I will know which plug is which.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24784

Ken
Good find Ken, you must spend more time on the Hobby King site than me as that was one I had not found.

Dave
DavidWalker is offline Find More Posts by DavidWalker
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Well, i just went and flew the B2, had no idea what to expect. It was extremely windy and turbulent so the flight was difficult. I found that the B2 was very susceptible to the wind, moreso than my AXN floater. Keep in mind I haven't flown the original bixler.

A few things I noticed.

-Tough - I took it for a couple of mild spills. no broken or busted parts except the wire lines came out the side.
-The collet was machined wrong. When they machined the collet, they drilled it crooked so the prop wobbled. I used a right hand collet and just wired so it doesn't spin off
-The screws to the wings are crap.
-Flies well, has a lot of drag compared to my AXN floater but that's to be expected. it flies quite well otherwise
-Lots of room in the fuselage but not nearly as much as in the bixler 1.
-Can do rolls much faster than an AXN floater (stock)
-Not as rigid as the AXN floater, still. I can see the wings shaking quite a bit in turbulent winds but that's to be expected since the wings have a great deal of surface area. I may lay some carbon sheet over the wings to strengthen them.

Other than that, I think that once I get my motor fixed on the bixler 1, the original bixler will be my preferred FPV plane since it has fewer obstructions in the fuselage
SMackaay is offline Find More Posts by SMackaay