HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:54 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
+1 DJ
Riddle me this Bat Men. Can this plane take off by sliding down the runawy or off grass with that plastic bottom ? If not I'm going to put a 'belly wheel' in it, wing skids and an A3 gyro board. Think that is a possibility?

Thanks,
DJ
The video in Post No 94 shows a Rise of Ground take off. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=94

I am undecided about fitting a single wheel and two thin wire outriggers so that I can take off our clubs hardtop strip. I plan to do some flying before making a decision.

I have started my Build by removing the stock motor and mount. I want to try several different motors so I am making a new motor mount out of plywood and balsa. This mount will allow me to use the star type mounts for easy motor replacement. When I am finished the new mount I will post some photos of its construction.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Add text
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:15 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
The first step in my build was to remove the motor and motor mount. I did this by placing a piece of dowel through the cooling air hole at the front of the motor mounting By using a hammer and sharp taps the motor and the mount were forced free. The plastic mount was undamaged as shown in photo No 2.

Next was the making a new mount.

The first step was to cut a plug of balsa using a hole cutter. Unfortunately my hole cutter was slightly to big so a bolt was placed through the center of the plug. Then by using a vertical drill and a coarse file the plug was reduced in diameter while being spun slowly in the drill.

Once the plug was the correct diameter a piece of 3-mm Aircraft Grade Plywood was attached using the bolt. Next I removed a small amount of foam so that the plywood would snugly. The plywood was then marked for cutting and cut out. Epoxy glue was used to glue the plug and the plywood plate together.

After the glue was set then a second trial fitting was made. There is 20 mm clearance between the propeller and the tail boom. Now all that needs to be done is to drill a hole through the mount so that the motor wires can be threaded forward to the ESC.

Edit:- I have now drilled the hole for the motor wires and this extra photo show the final trial fit before gluing in the mount.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Sep 01, 2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Correct photo order and add text
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:47 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
[QUOTE=Sculptor;22602159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82 View Post

I was so focused on the Y didn't see that it was a single reverser.
Accidential desinformation can also crash a plane

Pardon,
DJ
No problem DJ.. BTW, I have read that if you are using a DX6i reversing can be done from within the transmitter.. Is this true? Do i need this reverser? Or is my radio capable of reversing a single servo on its own?

First time Spektrum owner here
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:18 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Flap Servo Mountig Modification

I have now started the flap servo mounting modification. When this modification is made then a servo reverser is not needed.

The first step was to align the flap servos with their respective flap horn. Then the area of foam to be cut out was marked. Part of the blanking plug for the hole on one side will be removed and the remainder will be permanently glued into the wing.

To cut out the foam I used a brand new blade in my modeling knife so that I would get sharp cuts. After the foam was cut out, a trial fitment was carried out. Now all that is needed is to glue in the flap servos and the covers over the spar, on the bottom of the wing. Before the flap servos are glued in I will use my servo tester to give them a thorough testing.
Last edited by kensp; Sep 01, 2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:47 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
[QUOTE=BriGuy82;22608707]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

No problem DJ.. BTW, I have read that if you are using a DX6i reversing can be done from within the transmitter.. Is this true? Do i need this reverser? Or is my radio capable of reversing a single servo on its own?

First time Spektrum owner here
The radio can reverse any chanel but if your trying to reverse one leg of a Y it can't. If you are using flaps one leg must be reversed either by fliping the servo over, using a reversing Y (not remended with a Spektrum Tx) or taking the servo apart and reversing the two wires on the motor and the two outside wires at the end of the board.

The board members will read this and correct it if I've given you the wrong advice.

Hope this helps. I too am new to this Tx.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:27 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Just in case it helps anyone else...

That strip of foam under the wing that I thought was just routing the servo cables... Turns out that's all that holds the spar in place. I just had a couple of bits of tape on it and the spar popped out mid turn.

Stupid, I know. I should've seen that before.

Anyways, I've got a fuselage to soak in warm water and stick back together.

Bugger.
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:54 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I.do not have a Spectrum DX6i to test this but when the Spectrum DX6i is used on a Bixler 2 the Gear channel is not used. This means that there is a spare channel.

By plugging one flap servo into the Gear channel and mixing 100% Flap to Gear then the reversing on the Gear channel can be used to reverse one flap servo. Just be careful not to inadvertently operate the gear switch while the model is in flight.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Sep 01, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,835 Posts
Ken,
The usual work-around is to set the gear travel to zero, then you don't worry about accidently flipping the gear switch. The flap to gear mix will still work.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:04 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts View Post
Ken,
The usual work-around is to set the gear travel to zero, then you don't worry about accidently flipping the gear switch. The flap to gear mix will still work.
I thought that a flap to gear mix would work. BriGuy82 will be happy to know that it does.

On My JR you can just simply disable the Gear switch. Or any other switch for that matter.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Sep 01, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:06 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,835 Posts
Ken, you still do the flap to gear mix.
Then, to "disable" the gear switch, you set the gear channel travel to zero.

I have tried this on my DX-7, and I believe it is common on all computer radios capable of mixing.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Last edited by Zerts; Sep 01, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:46 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts View Post
Ken, you still do the flap to gear mix.
Then, to "disable" the gear switch, you set the gear channel travel to zero.

I have tried this on my DX-7, and I believe it is common on all computer radios capable of mixing.
On my JR 10X I go to flight mode to disable any selected switch without having to change end points. I can also allocate any switch to function on any channel. Its a very flexible Transmitter.

Ken
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
just got mine. It has preinstalled large metal washer counter weights right in the nose.

Will these be necessary once a load of FPV gear fitted.

Looks like they will be hard to remove one the fuse' is glued together
hazchem88 is offline Find More Posts by hazchem88
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:33 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem88 View Post
just got mine. It has preinstalled large metal washer counter weights right in the nose.

Will these be necessary once a load of FPV gear fitted.

Looks like they will be hard to remove one the fuse' is glued together
I thought the fuse was already glued together on the Bix2.. mine was.

Maybe they've stopped doing this now. It would make installs easier.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
@phoxache
I think hazchem must be talking about a Bixler 1. The B2 does not come with washers in the nose as far as I know.

@hazchem88
You'll definitely want to remove the washers if you're carrying FPV gear. You would only want the washers if you were using a smaller lipo (1300mah or less) with no FPV gear.
vonbraun_ is offline Find More Posts by vonbraun_
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:56 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbraun_ View Post
@phoxache
I think hazchem must be talking about a Bixler 1. The B2 does not come with washers in the nose as far as I know.

@hazchem88
You'll definitely want to remove the washers if you're carrying FPV gear. You would only want the washers if you were using a smaller lipo (1300mah or less) with no FPV gear.
That makes sense.

As someone that's recently split the B2 nose in half, I can confirm that I didn't see any washers or weights.