HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:27 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
DJ..I grew up not far from Billy Connolly in Glasgow.. and you know how "sick" he can be.
Sounds like you "Didn't come up the Clyde on a bicycle" as my father used to say.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Mods To Bixler 2

Just a short video about some mods I have made on my Bixlers.
This is my 3rd Bixler, the first I tried to learn to fly on and has been trashed, the second I have tried to do FPV using the little keychain No#16 camera and this is the 3rd. I have done this mod to both planes as it makes it so easy to transport and assemble.
Any rate for what it is worth. It might help someone who wants to transport their plane easily.
Bixler 2 Modifications (4 min 10 sec)
lobbers is offline Find More Posts by lobbers
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:48 AM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobbers View Post
This is my 3rd Bixler, the first I tried to learn to fly on and has been trashed, the second I have tried to do FPV using the little keychain No#16 camera and this is the 3rd. I have done this mod to both planes as it makes it so easy to transport and assemble.
Any rate for what it is worth. It might help someone who wants to transport their plane easily.
http://youtu.be/Vsnkc-YquSU
Awesome....so simple yet so effective, will try your mods on my next one.

Regards Craig
craigblk is offline Find More Posts by craigblk
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobbers View Post
What an ingenious and great way to store it . I also like the trick with the rubber band which I immediately implemented on mine.
Thanks for that
Mik
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:05 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
736 Posts
First Flights

I've been sidetracked by other projects, but finally got my BX2 flying last weekend.
I've been puttering with wing joining methods and have settled on pins from the top. Current ones are 3mm carbon rods I had in my scrap pile and tape to give me something to grip. You can just see them poking out of the top in the pictures. I'll make the caps more streamlined later. I'm not a fan of velcro or rubber bands as I want to keep the aerodynamics as smooth as possible to keep it efficient for longer durations. Stock motor but an APC reversed prop of the same dia and pitch.
Wiring for separable wings is a pain on this model. I made the leads too long coming out of the wing so will try a more compact mounting like I did on my Radian Pro.

Paint:
Good: I like the fluorescent colours which show up well, especially on this overcast winter day (~100' ceiling).
Mistake: I used Armor Coat Fluorescent spray can paint which neither bonded to the foam nor is it flexible like the foam, so it peels and chips easily as you can see in some of the pictures. At least one can tell where all the flexing is happening

Friends have told me some acrylic brushed paints can work well - the paint has to be flexible. Nose is black for future FPV camera. I might just stick in the future with sticky-backed trim sheets like I used for the top and bottom trim pieces.

Turnigy Plush 20A ESC is nice but I don't like the small BEC on it. I think I measured 12A peak draw w 3S on the bench. I have to do more balancing and trimming and address the wing wiring before the next flight.
AlThuban is offline Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThuban View Post
Paint:
Good: I like the fluorescent colours which show up well, especially on this overcast winter day (~100' ceiling).
Mistake: I used Armor Coat Fluorescent spray can paint which neither bonded to the foam nor is it flexible like the foam, so it peels and chips easily as you can see in some of the pictures. At least one can tell where all the flexing is happening

Wow it is very green but I like it .. Here in UK everything else is green it would be difficult .
Mik
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hungary, Somogy County, Siofok
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Bixler 2 onboard cam Balatonkilti Airfield (5 min 2 sec)
sneci1977 is offline Find More Posts by sneci1977
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:00 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkieRC View Post
My advice is to go to your local airfield and try some landings as if are standing in your back yard. If you feel comfortable with the plane and the response needed to get it down, give it a shot for real. If not then you have your answer.
I agree with TJ, go to a field where you have roughly the same challenge replicated, a ridge of trees, and pace out from the trees the distance you have to land before your Bix has a bath, practise until you are confident.
I'd be tempted to have a 2nd stock Bix just to practise with, particularly when you start trying at your place. There is always enough room in your hanger for a 2nd back-up Bixler lol

The other options are to waterproof the bix to some degree (tape up the cockpit and go CorrosionX crazy) so if you do overshoot, you know your plane will survive. This video shows it can be hand launched and landed safely in stock trim so if you overshoot it'll just slide over the water... in theory...
But this video shows if you try landing on water in stock trim without all the finesse in the world, nose digs in and stops very ubruptly.
Alternatively you could fit floats with the focus to hand launch (but you then have the option to play on water) and land on grass but again, still suited to flying on water, eg this video & this one too.
Search easystar sea plane/ float plane and many folk have successful mods.
I often contemplated doing a similar mod to fly off the local dams.
Keep in mind the Icon A5 I wouldn't class as a beginner's plane, the fly much faster than a bix and need that air speed, but an Icon would be a perfect addition to your flying locale later down the track... at some point it would have to be a must, wouldn't it?

However you wish to approach it, clearly it just has to be done... your yard is simply too gorgeous not to fly from

Your place would be perfect for a multirotor too
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

Except for the early dawn and late evening it's never this calm. The wind is always blowing usually out of the South and Southwest. I've got a friend of mine down the street who runs RC boats, big time. He can have it. Spends most of his time paddling out in the bay to retrieve it. Not for me.

Thank you,
DJ
Well mister, I suggest you fly in the early dawn and late evening a few times to get your landing pattern down and THEN think about trying it with some wind. You'll know a LOT more about how you want to go about it once you've tried it out. Try it forwards, backwards and sideways when it's calm and get a feel for what is workable and what feels most comfortable, then you can factor in the added difficulty of wind to the equation once you know.

Have Fun!

Justin
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:36 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
It can be so confusing, example: a man carves an Eagle ripping a fish out of the water in wood and paints it and it is perfect. But it is not art and these people know that and why? It's like a fortunate photograph, it records a moment in time but it is not sculpture. These carvings record a moment in time. With no more interpretation than that these are called carvings not sculptures. They are ranked along with nature photography and the people who do this know that. Their work is amazing to me.
DJ
DJ, I am of such an engineer's mind that my head nearly explodes when you and other artists talk about art that way. I know you're right and I am a great lover of art. It just pains me a bit to know that I will never see be able to see the world the way an artist does, forever grasping to my engineering principles of straight lines and perfect reproductions!

Sculpt on, Sculptor!
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:35 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
I agree with TJ, go to a field where you have roughly the same challenge replicated, a ridge of trees, and pace out from the trees the distance you have to land before your Bix has a bath, practise until you are confident.
I'd be tempted to have a 2nd stock Bix just to practise with, particularly when you start trying at your place. There is always enough room in your hanger for a 2nd back-up Bixler lol

The other options are to waterproof the bix to some degree (tape up the cockpit and go CorrosionX crazy) so if you do overshoot, you know your plane will survive. This video shows it can be hand launched and landed safely in stock trim so if you overshoot it'll just slide over the water... in theory...
But this video shows if you try landing on water in stock trim without all the finesse in the world, nose digs in and stops very ubruptly.
Alternatively you could fit floats with the focus to hand launch (but you then have the option to play on water) and land on grass but again, still suited to flying on water, eg this video & this one too.
Search easystar sea plane/ float plane and many folk have successful mods.
I often contemplated doing a similar mod to fly off the local dams.
Keep in mind the Icon A5 I wouldn't class as a beginner's plane, the fly much faster than a bix and need that air speed, but an Icon would be a perfect addition to your flying locale later down the track... at some point it would have to be a must, wouldn't it?

However you wish to approach it, clearly it just has to be done... your yard is simply too gorgeous not to fly from

Your place would be perfect for a multirotor too

Thank you Sir, again for your time and especially your insight. I watched each of the videos they told me so much about what I need to know.

I'm setting my new Bixler 1.1 up for this task. I didn't think I wanted floats on it but maybe I do. Because the motors on top the legs on the floats could be really short, just thinking out loud.

I understand your advice about the A-5 Icon and I damn near bought one last night but I stopped myself and I'm glad I did. It's a Lake plane but I don't live on a lake, the water always add some chop to it. If I were richer and younger I would have me one of those and I would park it in my backyard.

A lot of what you said is what I needed to hear and I thank you for that Sir,

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:06 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
DJ, I am of such an engineer's mind that my head nearly explodes when you and other artists talk about art that way. I know you're right and I am a great lover of art. It just pains me a bit to know that I will never see be able to see the world the way an artist does, forever grasping to my engineering principles of straight lines and perfect reproductions!

Sculpt on, Sculptor!

I'll quote Joseph Campbell "a fortunately constructed piece of art opens up to you and your psyche falls into it" the dancer becomes the dance. Flying model airplanes to the level of complete transmutation is no different. You are the pilot, the dancer becomes the dance. You're not a man standing on the ground holding a blackbox anymore, it's not there! An accomplished musician is never thinking about what other fingers are doing it's all happening in their mind.
Thank you for your comments.

Why is it Sir that when we for example sit and stare at our P 51 Mustang, glass of wine in hand and we think about that moment when it was all perfect. You flew it as if it was World War II. As you brought it in you painted on the runway, Roger powerdown slowly using no elevator to put the tail wheel on the ground.

You went home that night and feasted on that moment and you will for the rest of your life."a fortunately constructed piece of art opens up to you and your psyche falls into it"

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Mar 09, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:10 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

<SNIP>
You went home that night and feasted on that moment and you will for the rest of your life."a fortunately constructed piece of art opens up to you and your psyche falls into it"

DJ
The Mona Lisa was brought up in court on charges of murder,-but it turned out that she'd been framed...
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:38 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikbaci View Post
Wow it is very green but I like it .. Here in UK everything else is green it would be difficult .
Mik
I'm out on the prairies where it doesn't stay green very long except a short bit in the spring. ok, that's a generalisation, but the fluorescent green shows up well in even the grass here, unless it is tall grass.

The sloper in the attached pics was the inspiration to make it bright green. It shows up well against the blue. I don't like the result of the yellow horizontal stabiliser on mine, but live and learn.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:46 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
736 Posts
sneci1977, where's the snow? Nice flight - I like how you're treating it like a powered sailplane: power to altitude and then sail around power off. It makes for much nicer audio and less video vibration/wobble.