Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:29 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
[QUOTE=Sculptor;24351129]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I think I understand what y'all are trying to tell me. It amounts to don't land downwind, so I made this little film in the backyard showing what I'm up against. I used my new 808 #16 keychain camera]

I finally was able to make this little film, in it I'm trying to explain flying in and out of my backyard, flying out over the river and then coming back hope this isn't too confusing.

DJ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWqxqsCc1I8
I love your back yard. I am envious. There are noobs and experts. I am somewhere in between. Having said that. I would never fly a Bix 2 on your property. I am just too old to climb trees. On a perfect day. it might be possible to land coming on shore. But, even on a totally calm day, IMO, I would NEVER try any approach that came over the house. So, once again, IMO, please do not try it for safety reasons. It seems you have a flying field where you learned to fly? Can you use that or are there other options?
-OR- Do you have a 40' ladder???
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 07, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:58 PM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
If you read nothing but his post about a specific motor and specific props for a very specific application that most of us have seen many times. That was all that necessary to realize that your post was just "in general" information and and amounted to nothing more than self serving boasting. But, it is still ok - just Don't quote me and then criticize. It is not nice. If you must, quote his post.
AJ
Your opinion? Let's keep it, I don't care, I've mine...
But I'm not here to "fight" with touchies, I'm here to enjoy speaking of my hobby, so, please, could We close here this OT? Thanks a lot!
Here in Italy it's night and I go to sleep. Good night!
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971
Last edited by Ricky971; Mar 07, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:28 PM
Mark
United Kingdom, England, Moreton-in-Marsh
Joined Oct 2012
405 Posts
Looks a lovely place you have there Sculptor,

I suppose you could get one of these as it seems it would take all your B2 gear.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=13848

M
mlp666 is online now Find More Posts by mlp666
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:43 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
[QUOTE=ajbaker;24354083]
Quote:
I love your back yard. I am envious. There are noobs and experts. I am somewhere in between. Having said that. I would never fly a Bix 2 on your property. I am just too old to climb trees. On a perfect day. it might be possible to land coming on shore. But, even on a totally calm day, IMO, I would NEVER try any approach that came over the house. So, once again, IMO, please do not try it for safety reasons. It seems you have a flying field where you learned to fly? Can you use that or are there other options?
-OR- Do you have a 40' ladder???
AJ

I don't have a 40 foot ladder but I got to young grandkids living right across the street from me and they are tree climbing fools!

I'm not about to bring this thing over top of the house that would be insane. I am going to learn, no matter how much corrosion X are how many times my grandkids have to get in SAR canoe and fish it out of the water and here's why.

I got involved in remote-controlled airplane when a man standing in the backyard with me said "I would love to fly this River", I ask him what he was talking about. He was a glider pilot. He told me about rubber band launched airplanes he had flown years ago, I never heard of such a thing.

I went online wound up somewhere bought a sky surfer from banana hobby and a transmitter to run it.

AJ flying from my backyard over the River is the foundation of my inspiration.

Your advice is good and I thank you for that AJ, but this thing of flying at my house is a big part of the whole program.

DJ
BTW: by the way since you know something about dogs can you recommend a good retriever?
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp666 View Post

I suppose you could get one of these as it seems it would take all your B2 gear.

M
Or, now that we know your talents you could build one of these: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465

Apologies if I've already posted about that one...it's been on my mind as my next plane!
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:55 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp666 View Post

M

I looked at the link you sent me, I went straight to buy it. It's just what I would love to have. Then by the time rate was added and stuff it was $100 airplane but I still would love to have and will.

Thank you Sir,

DJ
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:08 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
You'll git 'er done! It takes practice, practice, practice, but you can do it. I'm not big on downwind landings myself (nor great at them), but when the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Good luck!

Aeronca

Aeronca, thank you for your encouragement. I am highly motivated to do this and I will "get it done".

DJ
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:28 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,890 Posts
there you go my man
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:40 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
there you go my man
Thank you Sir.

DJ
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:53 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
555 Posts
[QUOTE=Sculptor;24354751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
.I'm not about to bring this thing over top of the house that would be insane.
Why??? It's an e-powered foam plane!! I do touch and goes on the roof of my house all the time with my 3D planes, it's way harder than you would think with a 4/12 pitch and the rolling wave off the peak. I've crashed lots of times and never hurt a thing other than the plane. I haven't been able to do the upwind/ down slope landing at all and I've tried a lot, lol. Looking at your video I would keep to the right of the trees on the right (facing house from lake), turn upwind over the house and plunk her down. If you did crash into the house what damage are you going to do other than to the plane? I haven't flown a B2 yet, it's on it's way, but it can't be any harder than bringing my F27Q into my landing spot and I'd land that at your place anytime. There is nothing better than walking out the your door and flying, specially true where you are. In the famous words of Nike,"Just DO IT"
Kim
elimsprint is offline Find More Posts by elimsprint
Last edited by elimsprint; Mar 07, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:17 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
[QUOTE=elimsprint;24355363]
Quote:
Why??? It's an e-powered foam plane!! I do touch and goes on the roof of my house all the time with my 3D planes, it's way harder than you would think with a 4/12 pitch and the rolling wave off the peak. I've crashed lots of times and never hurt a thing other than the plane. I haven't been able to do the upwind/ down slope landing at all and I've tried a lot, lol. Looking at your video I would keep to the right of the trees on the right (facing house from lake), turn upwind over the house and plunk her down. If you did crash into the house what damage are you going to do other than to the plane? I haven't flown a B2 yet, it's on it's way, but it can't be any harder than bringing my F27Q into my landing spot and I'd land that at your place anytime. There is nothing better than walking out the your door and flying, specially true where you are. In the famous words of Nike,"Just DO IT"
Kim

Thank you Kim, that's just the way I feel about it. I can do this and I will.

Thank you for your encouragement,

DJ
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:23 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
793 Posts
Sculptor: I am probably the last guy you should take advice from since I am so new to this hobby. What I can offer is agreement that walking out your door and flying is awesome. I am fortunate to be able to do this myself. I have run up against somewhat the same problem you have. When the wind comes out of the South or South West I basically land either cross wind or with the wind to my tail. I have trees behind me so a go around is not really possible. I must stick the landing. So far no crashes on landing this way.

I am sure what you are being told is the best advice from skilled individuals. I guess I am just too new and too brave (or as some may say stupid) to do it. The enjoyment for me is being able to get home from the office, throw on a pair of jeans and fly a pack or two before supper.

My advice is to go to your local airfield and try some landings as if are standing in your back yard. If you feel comfortable with the plane and the response needed to get it down, give it a shot for real. If not then you have your answer.

I fall into the group you will never know if you don't try. That is part of the fun.

On another note my wife came to me this evening and said: "by the time I get back to the living room I want confirmation you purchased that plane you have been talking about." As any good husband would do under this circumstance I checked and yes it was in fact my wife. This is what should be shipping out tomorrow: Icon A5 It will be my second plane and will be used with landing gear and on the water. I am pretty excited to give it a go!
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:14 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
555 Posts
Great advice right there TJRC! And lucky you on the new plane and wonderful wife!!!
Sculptor, just trim that tree on the left a bit and I'm sure you can do it and for sure do what TJ suggested. Nice greyhound statue and new little guy btw. I'm a dog lover myself with 3 faithful friends.
Kim
elimsprint is offline Find More Posts by elimsprint
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
A trainer for U

[QUOTE=Sculptor;24356135]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post

I can do this and I will.

DJ
Ok. It is an important goal and fierce commitment. Then, I would encourage you to get some experience with THIS plane (for those days that the wind is <~7mph). With your experience, the plane is simple to fly right out of the box. It will give you great experience and you will not get into any trouble (the kids will take care of any tree landings).
AJ
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:34 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
I haven't flown a B2 yet, it's on it's way, but it can't be any harder than bringing my F27Q into my landing spot and I'd land that at your place anytime. There is nothing better than walking out the your door and flying, specially true where you are. In the famous words of Nike,"Just DO IT"
Kim
Fly the Bix2. I am sure you will be introduced to reality.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 08, 2013 at 12:33 AM.