SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:40 PM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Go View Post
I'm still pondering about a replacement motor to convert the Bixler 2 to 4S with airtime/endurance as primary goal. Now I was looking at the NTM 28-26 1000KV and 28-36 1000 KV, together with a 7x6 or maybe 7x6 three-blade to give it just mildly more bite.
1000KV at 4S would be roughly the same RPM (15000) as 1300KV at 3S (14430) but if I understand it right, at 4S it should be less amps for the same RPM, meaning more endurance.
Both motors are tested with much bigger props, so - again, as I understand it - they should turn the 7x6 with ease.

Am I right with my assumptions so far? Any comments on the motor/prop-combos?
Check out this link. It might answere your question
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25075

I just found this out myself . The 7 inch 3 blade prop is equivalent to a 8 inch 2 blade prop.

I tried to jam my 4s 4400mAh battery in the Bixler and NO GO.. If your going to use a 4s lipo check out HobbyKing for the correct size and Amps
dangerdan is online now Find More Posts by dangerdan
Last edited by dangerdan; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:56 PM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
I checked the link. Actually, I linked there myself . I'm just not very experienced with e-motors, so I was asking for the opinion of the more experienced people.
I have a Zippy 4S 5000mAh Lipo here and it fits just so. Don't know about CoG but I could cut the divider walls a bit. But I also have smaller 4S batts flying around.
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:23 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Go View Post
I checked the link. Actually, I linked there myself . I'm just not very experienced with e-motors, so I was asking for the opinion of the more experienced people.
I have a Zippy 4S 5000mAh Lipo here and it fits just so. Don't know about CoG but I could cut the divider walls a bit. But I also have smaller 4S batts flying around.
Hi Stefan!

I guess your question comes down to whether the motor runs more efficiently at 4S than 3S?

If you haven't already seen it, check out: http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.asp?ecalc

It should help you see how changing the battery, prop, motor kv are all related.

I believe I've heard that bigger props tend to be more efficient but I'm not entirely sure why. I know from another project I've researched (diy jet propelled bicycle) that turbine jet exhaust is very high velocity and somehow that makes it very inefficient thrust at low speeds but more efficient at high speeds.

Something about the differential in craft speed vs velocity of thrusted air gives me a hunch that bigger therefore slower props work better for slow flying and faster smaller props are better for fast flying.

Now I guess we keep waiting for an expert to chime in

datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:09 PM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
Yeah, my understanding is that the same watts mean less amps at higher volts. So from there I concluded that a 4S 1000KV motor draws less amps than a 3S 1300KV motor at same rpm with same prop. Unfortunately, the prop size on the B2 is almost maxed out with 7 inches. Otherwise I would look at a 750KV motor with, say, a 9 inch prop.

I know ecalc, but unfortunately the 3 motors (Bixler2 stock and 2826/2836-1000) are not in ecalc and HK doesn't provide all data.
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:30 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblk View Post
Sorry...issues uploading Photos, here's another....
Is that tape covering the Bixler ?? Its looks cool. If it is tape , how much extra weight did that add.!!

I just read post 2161 and thats glass tape.... Very impressive
Last edited by dangerdan; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:40 PM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan View Post
Is that tape covering the Bixler ?? Its looks cool. If it is tape , how much extra weight did that add.!!

I just read post 2161 and thats glass tape.... Very impressive
FYI, my tape is usually about 1g per 100mm
That's for 50mm duct tape
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jun 2012
84 Posts
Mate,

We Aussies wear the slouch on the left side. The way you are wearing it in the photo is the way the Argentinian's wear it - I think.

I use velcro to mount the 808 camera on my hat or plane. For the GoPro I use the appropriate mount on a bicycle helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
"EDIT: about FPV, yes, you're right but
a. I like the view from up high... I guess most people do as it's unusual
b. You might have interesting scenery to fly by
c. I just love the idea of piloting the plane further than LOS "

I'm sorry, I erroneously implied there is no value to anything short of moviemaking. I'm learning as we speak how ill-informed that is. I'm already thinking of film scenarios.

Wake up Donald, keeping the plane in the air is your first job. In addition to being able to put this camera all over my plane and watch what it does is just so exciting to me. Then to be able to tape this thing to my bald head and wherever I look it will film that, is that right?

I offer this Australian hat-cam platform for exploration.

Attachment 5546197
cautious32 is offline Find More Posts by cautious32
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:14 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
Having put vlecros on the floor of both halves, I'm thinking that puting a big piece (of velcro) after joining them, along with magnets and tape could hold the halves together, also making them easily separable.

Only problem is the motor... It has to be glued on both sides. Maybe I could cut the foam of one side (around the motor) and screw it in the rest of the foam (of the same side) somehow...
I got my Bixler to day. What am I missing. My Bixler body is already glued from China or did you guys cut them open yourself...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:25 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
286 Posts
UBEC Question

I bought digital servos for the Bixler. Now I'm finding that my ESC may not handle servo power. I know which servo I want from HK. Its this one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_Lipoly.html

It had the best reviews so far.

How do I connect a UBEC and ESC to my battary at the same time. I checked HK but no such luck.
I do not want to solder them together. There has to be some sort of adapter.

I give up. I spent the last 2 hrs googling this. I can make an ec3 adapter to connect the ESC and Ubec to the battery, disconnect the red wire from the ESC to RX but dont know where to connect the UBEC 5v.

I will get a bigger esc - problem solved
Last edited by dangerdan; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: update
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:35 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
Hi Stefan!I believe I've heard that bigger props tend to be more efficient but I'm not entirely sure why.
Big props are more efficient because they are bigger. The effect is one of scale. One critical factor is the blade width and another is rotation speed. The airflow over the blade is faster on a bigger propeller at a given RPM.

This scale effect is the reason why a wind turbine uses one gianormous propeller rather than many smaller ones.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:47 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
Haha
I use a cheapo jockey/baseball hat. I glued a piece of velcro on the bill, and then I stick my 808 on it and it shoots whatever I see. It need a little practice to get it to shoot straight but a wide lens helps a lot.

Also, I made an L shaped "adapter" out of foam, with velcros on both outside surfaces, so I can mount IT on my hat, and then the camera TO IT, so the cam looks down, towards my shoes. That way I can shoot videos of my Tx while I fly...

As for trying to find the plane with a normal camera... I can't help much. I guess a cam that can zoom while recording could help but my dad also has problems when shooting my planes..
Chris, between your encouragement and A- flyer's help along with others I'm gonna get into flying camera business.

The FPV world is so foreign to me. I read about people flying planes miles away, well beyond their site. Much like the things the American military can do with our UAV's. I did my due diligence I read up on this camera it's amazing to me that something that small can do all that and do it well.

Thank you again, this will be another fun aspect of flying model planes.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:11 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,219 Posts
Smile...DJ.......Your on Candid Camera...lol
agedflier is online now Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:40 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
smile...dj.......your on candid camera...lol
:d:d:d

dj
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
43 Posts
BIXLER 2's are back in USA Warehouse as of Feb18.

Move fast if you want one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=31048
keninvic is offline Find More Posts by keninvic
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:53 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
bought me one!
beedo is offline Find More Posts by beedo