Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:00 PM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblk View Post
Cmarv8

No not 30mm long 30mm in width approximately, doesn't have to be exact...if you have one of those craft cutting boards that never marks just take a long strip of the 3 m tape lay it on the board and with a straight edge cut a piece as long as you like to fit the edge / surface you require by the appropriate width then lay on the wing leading edge for example wrap round with the wing leading edge in the middle of the tape and then slowly fold down one side at a time until you reach a bend, corner or angle then make a cut vertically down to the leading edge of the side you are working on complete the fold and continue round the bend cutting as required.....let me know if this explanation is not making sense and I will try to post a picture ,for you tomorrow using a piece of foam board as an example......Craig
Sorry Chris (cmavr8) read my original post and I wrote 30mm long but obviously should have read 30mm wide or whatever width required so sorry for the misinformation....Craig
craigblk is offline Find More Posts by craigblk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,669 Posts
Sorry guys..Yes I did forget you can plug directly into computer using appropraite USB connector.
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:00 PM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblk View Post
Sorry Chris (cmavr8) read my original post and I wrote 30mm long but obviously should have read 30mm wide or whatever width required so sorry for the misinformation....Craig
Thanks Craig, no problem.
Take a look, this is how I do it... Is it your way?
The result is not very satisfying but I'll have to take a step back and leave it as is!

Thanks
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:57 PM
FPV I like to see
United States, CA
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Total noob here wants to know best advice for Bixler 1.1 or II

beginner pilot/purchasing info. I know I am a little lazy so I was hoping you advanced guys/gals can direct a NOOB to the right place to buy and equipment to get. Been reading about 50 posts but 2k + is going to take me a little bit.
Thanks and I'm glad I found this!
DanielMar2010 is offline Find More Posts by DanielMar2010
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:09 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
697 Posts
808 Bixler safety strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
Yeah, safety strap is a must, especially when mounting "outside", on the wing etc

Also, be careful to tie the canopy on the fuselage, cause it is known to be flying off during flight even when stock... (with the additional weight of the camera it is easier for it to come off)
This is the safety strap I came up with for my 808:

Name: Camera Side View with Safety.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 139.5 KB
Description:

Part of a lanyard I had. Epoxied the male part into the nose and female part with loop fits on camera and snaps in. I like the looks and should hold the camera close to the plane if need. be.

Flew three times today with the 808 and .67 wide angle lens. Video was OK. Not HD but watchable and pretty stable. I am really glad that with my mounting location I don't get the Bixler's nose in the shot. Really neat to land and watch the video of your flight. One thing I noticed was that I need to relax a little and trust the plane more. Way to many small unnecessary corrections. I finally have the Bixler trimmed out just about right and what a joy to fly when I just let it fly!
TechJunkieRC is online now Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:17 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
DJ, #16 is THE way to go, if you can afford it!
Be careful of the seller's feedback. It's probably best to stick with trusted sellers. I bought from eletoponline365 and the camera is OK.

Also, you have to choose lens: A, B or D. D is the widest, that's what I got. I think A is better than B. So if you want wide, go for D, otherwise A.

The microSD you need should be class 4, not lower, not higher. Higher may work but there are incompatibilities, and the camera doesn't need the extra speed, so stick with class4! I'm not sure about size yet... I'm using 4gb but maybe 8 or 16 is more appropriate cause this cam records in 720p.

You don't need an SD card adapter or anything, the cam comes with a mini-USB cable for charging and video transfering to your PC

This is the concentrated info I extracted from here and here.
Hope it can be of use

Here's what I got.

EDIT: about FPV, yes, you're right but
a. I like the view from up high... I guess most people do as it's unusual
b. You might have interesting scenery to fly by
c. I just love the idea of piloting the plane further than LOS

sorry about your associate...

Heading out for maiden!!!!
(I'll shoot it with the 808 on my head )
you said "I'll shoot it with the 808 on my head" Sir how you do that? Is it a special rig like that you flew, do you put it on the bill of your hat? And how do you know when you got a name right?

I kept hearing this term "keychain cam" no idea what y'all were talking about.

I showed up at my airfield there with all my friends with the idea of taking my Sony Handy cam high eight camera and videoing their flights. That was a complete bust I couldn't find airplanes in the viewfinder, can find airplanes on the side screen = couldn't find no planes! I'm gonna try to do this again this time with a black cloth over me in the side screen on my camera. But if y'all have any tricks you can tell me about for doing this I would sure appreciate it.

Thank you so much,

DJ
BTW: I'm gonna fly this thing around with the Bixler two. See still on topic I'm going to order the # 16 W/D lens tonight.
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:30 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
To all those planning to attach an 808 to their plane for possibly the first time, let me give you a tip that might save you many hours of your life

Find yourself a bright orange pipe cleaner or colored piece of string and run it through the hole on the tail of the camera, then attach this to your plane as a "backup". I've found that velcro is not enough to keep the camera from flying off in the event of a crash and looking around a field for a small black box is not how you want to spend an afternoon!

Also, I got mine here if you are looking for a US based seller, picture quality is great and I am very happy with mine! http://www.ebay.com/itm/180937263580
The 120 degree lens is perfect for flight videos.

Here are pics of my setup. But now I want to move it to the wing and other spots.

Cheers!
I don't know how you attach one of these chain cams to the plane, I'm guessing you just tape it on their. So your counsel as to how in the hell you find that damn thing in the middle of the great Cape Coral Desert is well taken Sir.

Thank you for this,

DJ
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:18 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
"EDIT: about FPV, yes, you're right but
a. I like the view from up high... I guess most people do as it's unusual
b. You might have interesting scenery to fly by
c. I just love the idea of piloting the plane further than LOS "

I'm sorry, I erroneously implied there is no value to anything short of moviemaking. I'm learning as we speak how ill-informed that is. I'm already thinking of film scenarios.

Wake up Donald, keeping the plane in the air is your first job. In addition to being able to put this camera all over my plane and watch what it does is just so exciting to me. Then to be able to tape this thing to my bald head and wherever I look it will film that, is that right?

I offer this Australian hat-cam platform for exploration.

Name: Hat Cam-1.JPG
Views: 110
Size: 130.7 KB
Description:
Last edited by Sculptor; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,669 Posts
Keychain camera

DJ..Here is some pix of mine...It's called a "keychain" cam as it can be attached to your keyring along with a multitude of other useless stuff..lol...The USB doggle comes with it..HK has them I think for under $10...I attach mine with velcro circles.. I do like the dayglo security line too and will use that idea too..
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,669 Posts
Thats the link for the jelly lens...cheap as...lol I hope link works if not just go to ebay and do "jelly lens" search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-J...item19d47edc32
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:23 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky971 View Post
Effectively, I don't need it: I can use all black wires and recognise them using just a coloured heatshrink on the terminals.
I'm undecided just about the AWG to choose: 12, 14 or 18?
Someone suggested me a 18 AWG, but it looked to small for this and I made some calculations: with 11.1 Volts (nominal), 342 Watt and 50 cm circuit lenght, it should be something between 13 and 14 AWG with about 0.3 Voltage drop.
To reduce to 0.2 the Voltage drop, I'd need 12 AWG.
Are my calcs correct?
Did someone do the same upgrade? Which AWG choosed for extension lead?
Short answer - 14awg.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:28 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Sorry to post this on the "Bixler 2" thread but I figured what I am looking for is common to the "Bixler" AND the "Bixler 2".

Here is my need:

I need some help. I have misplaced (read: lost) my aileron "Y" harness for my original Bixler. Looking for a replacement on HK's website, I am only coming up with the Futaba "Y" harness. Does anyone have a link to the Bixler's aileron "Y" harness, or one that would work, they'd be willing to post?

Many thanks in advance!

Aeronca
The one you found will work just fine.
AJ
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:41 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Welcome to the Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMar2010 View Post
beginner pilot/purchasing info. I know I am a little lazy so I was hoping you advanced guys/gals can direct a NOOB to the right place to buy and equipment to get. Been reading about 50 posts but 2k + is going to take me a little bit.
Thanks and I'm glad I found this!
I do most of my shopping at Hobby King (it is the most popular shop among RCG readers). Since you are just starting, my 2 pieces of advice is to befriend someone around you that has a b**t load of experience and is willing to advise you and make your maiden flight for you. 2nd, get a flight simulator package (FMS is the best bang for the buck) to "learn" how to fly. The experience you will get is priceless.
Again, Welcome....
AJ
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:30 AM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Short answer - 14awg.
AJ
Thanks, it was also my final decision.
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:56 AM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
297 Posts
I'm buying some HXT900 servos for Bixler's flaps, but watching my Walrus I've noticed that the stock flap's servos are different each other: one is black and the other is red, so I have a doubt: do I need something different from a standard servo, for flaps?
In the Bixler 2 characteristics description it's written that You'll need "1 x Servo Reverser if using optional flaps with non-computer radio"
I've got a Spektrum DX6i, but I cannot imagine how to manage a different rotation on flap's servos, even with a programmable radio.

Thanks everybody!
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971