Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,963 Posts
keychain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Thank you A-flyer. What you say gives me confidence that this is gonna be pretty straight up.

Thank you Sir, the keychain camera? What will they come up with next?

DJ
Forgot to add ...You have to buy the micro SD card separately...Some places sell them with or without the adapter which is same size as a Std HD card.

They do have ones with lens on end of the pen..but sadly the have sold out of "shoe phones"..You missed one by......that much................
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:56 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,963 Posts
sorry guys i tried to edit and it posted twice....

Junkie..What sort of lens have you got on there?? I have seen things called.."jelly lens" that can change the field of view and cost just cpl of dollars.
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:11 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkieRC View Post
I am looking for suggestions/pictures on how other have mounted 808 cameras on their Bixlers.
My mounting was about the same as TechJunkieRC's pictures. A strip of Velcro from the canopy forward about half way to the tip of the nose. There is a bit of downward angling which seemed to suit the camera.

The new Bixler (replacement) will use the black Velcro that came with the kit so it will have anti-glare patch in front of the canopy when the camera isn't mounted. The pilot should appreciate that. Incidentally I noted the canopy had fogged up this evening - do I need to fit demisting?

Note the model of 808, #16 seems to be the latest/best. Without an adaptor (microSD) the camera can be plugged into a computer via a standard USB cable with big to small connectors for picture downloading. There are usually a number of these around any house these days - unless you are still using a shoe phone
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:30 AM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
DJ, #16 is THE way to go, if you can afford it!
Be careful of the seller's feedback. It's probably best to stick with trusted sellers. I bought from eletoponline365 and the camera is OK.

Also, you have to choose lens: A, B or D. D is the widest, that's what I got. I think A is better than B. So if you want wide, go for D, otherwise A.

The microSD you need should be class 4, not lower, not higher. Higher may work but there are incompatibilities, and the camera doesn't need the extra speed, so stick with class4! I'm not sure about size yet... I'm using 4gb but maybe 8 or 16 is more appropriate cause this cam records in 720p.

You don't need an SD card adapter or anything, the cam comes with a mini-USB cable for charging and video transfering to your PC

This is the concentrated info I extracted from here and here.
Hope it can be of use

Here's what I got.

EDIT: about FPV, yes, you're right but
a. I like the view from up high... I guess most people do as it's unusual
b. You might have interesting scenery to fly by
c. I just love the idea of piloting the plane further than LOS

sorry about your associate...

Heading out for maiden!!!!
(I'll shoot it with the 808 on my head )
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Last edited by cmavr8; Feb 17, 2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:47 AM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Yes Ricky I did this upgrade. As we all know the motor that comes on the Bixler two has very long thin wires. I ended up scrapping the motor and the wires. I replace the motor with a 2826 / 6 @ 2200 kv and replace the wires with 14gauge. It doesn't really matter what color wire you use because you will have to check the motor to see if it's turning in the right direction anyway then if it's not just swap any two and that changes the direction. I think number 12 wire would be overkill, I'm not even sure would fit in the board connector that matches the motor it might I don't know.

Hope you find something in this useful,

DJ
Thanks DJ
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:08 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Quick update: Maidened my B2!
It was a little gusty, and I forgot to set D/R/expos (LOL, 100% rates, 0% expos) but it did fly with the second toss!
A tree appeared out of nowhere and caught it but no damage, just a nick on a wing (untaped part ).

Flew again (5 minutes) with expos etc and stabilization and it was much much better! Good landing.
Third flight was also cut short (8 minutes) cause I lost it in low altitude (trying to land, stalled? too much wind? too little power?) and it went behind buildings so I just cut power. Looks like autoleveling did its job and leveled it, so I only got visual marks on the nose (took the hit). No broken stuff! Could just grab it and toss it again!

But I came home happy
I will definitely tape the wings' leading edge AND the horiz stabilizer's!
I cannot tell if the taped part was hit, but I know it was, so taping works great!

Anyway, thanks all for the help, this looks like an incredible plane (although a little fast without flaps, I need practice) and it's gonna be legendary with cameras on it

I'll post a video later...
Last edited by cmavr8; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:50 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
I have not done any run times yet..so cant help you there..I dont like these attachments as i think that they add too much weight to the rear of the plane..Unless you adding stuff to the front i would just put motor into the pod.
It's going to be FVP so yes there will be extra weight in the nose.
elimsprint is online now Find More Posts by elimsprint
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
sorry guys i tried to edit and it posted twice....

Junkie..What sort of lens have you got on there?? I have seen things called.."jelly lens" that can change the field of view and cost just cpl of dollars.
It is a .67 Wide Angle lens for cell phonese. I saw youtube videos on installing a wide angle lens on the 808. Depending on which 808 model you get you may have to file the case level. You then epoxy not CA the metal ring onto the 808 and the lense attaches magnetically. If you CA the metal ring on the lens of the 808 the lens will often times get fogged by the CA fumes according to the videos I watched. I hope it works like I am planning.
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TechJunkieRC; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:28 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
It is a .67 Wide Angle lens for cell phonese. I saw youtube videos on installing a wide angle lens on the 808. Depending on which 808 model you get you may have to file the case level. You then epoxy not CA the metal ring onto the 808 and the lense attaches magnetically. If you CA the metal ring on the lens of the 808 the lens will often times get fogged by the CA fumes according to the videos I watched. I hope it works like I am planning.
Or one can get the 808 with a wide angle lens built-in... (IF you find it and IF you don't need interchangeable lenses and IF you don't already have a 808 etc )
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:57 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Here is how I set up my 808 on the front of my Bixler.

This is my first time attaching images. I hope it worked.

This may not be the greatest way to attach the camera I guess my check off flight with it tomorrow will tell the tale. Still working on how to best attach the 808 facing back.

TechJunkieRC
To all those planning to attach an 808 to their plane for possibly the first time, let me give you a tip that might save you many hours of your life

Find yourself a bright orange pipe cleaner or colored piece of string and run it through the hole on the tail of the camera, then attach this to your plane as a "backup". I've found that velcro is not enough to keep the camera from flying off in the event of a crash and looking around a field for a small black box is not how you want to spend an afternoon!

Also, I got mine here if you are looking for a US based seller, picture quality is great and I am very happy with mine! http://www.ebay.com/itm/180937263580
The 120 degree lens is perfect for flight videos.

Here are pics of my setup. But now I want to move it to the wing and other spots.

Cheers!
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:13 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
Or one can get the 808 with a wide angle lens built-in... (IF you find it and IF you don't need interchangeable lenses and IF you don't already have a 808 etc )
True enough. I admittedly bought cheaper $8.00 #9 808s to test and play with. Partly since I am new to flying and expect some unplanned landings (crashes) in my future and thought I would wait for better gear until I felt my flying skills were up to the task. Nice thing is once I am happy with the install I can upgrade my 808 and just fly.

I love how easy it is to modify the Bixler and try things out. I really like this element of the hobby.
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:51 PM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
To all those planning to attach an 808 to their plane for possibly the first time, let me give you a tip that might save you many hours of your life

Find yourself a bright orange pipe cleaner or colored piece of string and run it through the hole on the tail of the camera, then attach this to your plane as a "backup". I've found that velcro is not enough to keep the camera from flying off in the event of a crash and looking around a field for a small black box is not how you want to spend an afternoon!

Also, I got mine here if you are looking for a US based seller, picture quality is great and I am very happy with mine! http://www.ebay.com/itm/180937263580
The 120 degree lens is perfect for flight videos.

Here are pics of my setup. But now I want to move it to the wing and other spots.

Cheers!
Yeah, safety strap is a must, especially when mounting "outside", on the wing etc

Also, be careful to tie the canopy on the fuselage, cause it is known to be flying off during flight even when stock... (with the additional weight of the camera it is easier for it to come off)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:51 PM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblk View Post
Thank you for the positive comments....when covering the leading edges of all control surfaces don't try and use the full width of the tape, if memory serves me well I cut lengths of approximately 30mm and laid it centrally along the wing leading edge and then one side at a time fold down the tape until you start on a curved section then cut with scissors or xacto knife, fold down and then continue the process until the curve section has been navigated...after completing the leading edges then if you wish you can place sections of tape on the flat parts of the wings just over the sections applied previously and cut to the shape / form of the wing. You obviously don't have to go as mad as I did but I would recommend the wing leading edges, along the foam covers for the servo wires and carbon reinforcements, ailerons, rudder, elevator, tail leading edge and vertical stabiliser....sorry don't forget the underbelly of the fuselage and where this wraps around the compound curve of the fuse then again cut and fold looks neater than just allowing the tape to ripple or bubble....hope this is been of some help...Craig
So, I'm trying to use your method...
You only cut small pieces, like 30mm length?
You center the piece on the (leading) edge, and start folding one side (say top), when it looks like it's gonna wrinkle, you cut the tape, and keep folding back, but do you cut full-tape-width or just for the part of the wing you're working on (top/bottom)?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:36 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,001 Posts
Quote:
I admittedly bought cheaper $8.00 #9 808s to test and play with. Partly since I am new to flying and expect some unplanned landings (crashes)....
My first 808 was a cheap $10 one. Ended up splattered along a tarsealed road due to an inverted landing (don't ask how!!! ).

An orange ribbon or similar too. Fortunately the black case showed up OK in amongst the turnips after a vertical landing (don't ask how!!! ).
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:42 PM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
So, I'm trying to use your method...
You only cut small pieces, like 30mm length?
You center the piece on the (leading) edge, and start folding one side (say top), when it looks like it's gonna wrinkle, you cut the tape, and keep folding back, but do you cut full-tape-width or just for the part of the wing you're working on (top/bottom)?
Cmarv8

No not 30mm long 30mm in width approximately, doesn't have to be exact...if you have one of those craft cutting boards that never marks just take a long strip of the 3 m tape lay it on the board and with a straight edge cut a piece as long as you like to fit the edge / surface you require by the appropriate width then lay on the wing leading edge for example wrap round with the wing leading edge in the middle of the tape and then slowly fold down one side at a time until you reach a bend, corner or angle then make a cut vertically down to the leading edge of the side you are working on complete the fold and continue round the bend cutting as required.....let me know if this explanation is not making sense and I will try to post a picture ,for you tomorrow using a piece of foam board as an example......Craig
craigblk is offline Find More Posts by craigblk