HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:26 AM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I want to the hobby King website to order the Bixler V1 .1, it was like $35 when I went to check out I found out cost $40 to ship it. So all these things were exploring I will have to put on hold, could not justify just to try it. I will fly my Bixler ll with his Eagle A3 Gyro board, flap speed reducer until I wear it out or tear it up. Then I may get the Bixler V1 .1 and start again with all of our new ideas and put all the stuff from my Bixler ll in that one.

I don't fly FPV nor do I have any interest in doing so I don't need another Bixler 2. I really wanted to try these modifications that we talked about and someday I will but not today.

My plane is decked out as a Coast Guard search and rescue plane, a 'SAR' there is a reason for that inspiration.

I have this on fairly good authority, my associate sculptor who is a veteran of the US Coast Guard and his father a retired Army general told me that the Cessna 182 SAR will soon be replaced as a manned "search and rescue plane, pattern flyer" with unmanned aerial vehicles, set up to fly grid patterns using very sophisticated cameras to find people lost at sea. Hence the inspiration for my Bixler ll Coast Guard search and rescue plane.

I can exercise self-control from time to time but I hated it.

DJ the BUMMED
Great artwork! Are you sure it's legal? :P

Too bad about the shipping thing... I'm sure the US warehouse will offer much lower shipping!

I like the van, it has RC in it, so it's ontopic by me! But where is all the gear? I only see planes... My car's trunk has been full of RC gear for the last months :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yes. THIS is my source for all things that are bolts and nuts and etc. Fast delivery, too, if you are in the USA.
AJ
Thank you, I'll stock up for the next occasion
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:28 AM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
Quote:
No. No. No. You can use that motor with a 6x3 or 6x4 (although I have not watt metered them, yet.)
AJ
I see... I was now thinking of finding something with lower KV to use with the stock prop or even an 8x something prop. The ultimate goal is to have a bird that can loiter for a long time on 4S 5Ah while recording video or taking photos.
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:59 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
An external SBEC (or UBEC) will fix that problem nicely.
AJ
And how would that help? The ESC in my AXN got hot because it didn't have any airflow and it was probably pushing out 20A or so, it was rated for 30A. Since I moved it to the side of the fuselage I haven't had any issues with it.

Maybe the airflow is better inside Bixler 2. I have no intentions of pushing it hard, it's an FPV platform and I will go far with it, but not fast.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:13 AM
Nederland, Noord-Brabant, Hoogerheide
Joined Mar 2007
538 Posts
i am going to place the esc on top of the b2, in front of the motor....
gives it best cooling

also i am going to use a seperate BEC, that will go into the fuselage under the wings... hope it will get enough cooling, will be adding air scoops i think
BadBert is offline Find More Posts by BadBert
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
130 Posts
To cool the inside you can make a small hole on top of the nose, in front op the canopy.
I saw a picture of some one who has done that and it looked nice.
Can not seem to find that picture anymore thought it was here on rcgroups.
Bertsjuhn is offline Find More Posts by Bertsjuhn
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:38 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkieRC View Post
DJ

If you have trouble finding the US warehouse send me a private message with your email and I will shoot the link over to you for the 1.1. It is easiest to find under Planes&Parts and then Beginner/Trainer. This, of course, once you have selected the US warehouse which should be located under the HobbyKing logo in the top left of the screen just left of "Global". On my screen it is labeled USA/Canada like a tab.

TechJunkieRC
Thank you so much for that. I didn't realize that I could click on "USA/Canada" and I wouldn't have to wait a month and pay huge shipping on stuff.

I just ordered a new Bixler 1.1 it'll be here in 5 to 7 days and only costs $56 and change.

Thank you again Sir,

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:58 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
DJ Is that the condition you SOLD it??? Mrs wants to buy it..just for the color...Was it a "repo"

Do you get the Krylon from graphic left overs?
A-flier, I've been driving 1977 Dodge vans or 30 years this is my third one all bought used. I got this purple one off eBay six years ago. It was already purple but it had a slant six, great motor but slower than snails snot, no power steering and four-speed manual transmission. I changed out the entire drivetrain.

I sold at a year ago for $3500 that I got a call from a friend of mine saying your purple van is back up on craigslist for $1250 so I bought it back. The title had never been changed, it was still in my name so no taxes. The owner had only put 55 miles on it while he had in my name was still on the side of it "DJ Wilkins sculptor". By this time I've been in this hobby for 10 months and had 10 airplanes. They were set on my wife's hot tub, some on the living room floor and three of them still in boxes getting the "purple people eater" back solve the whole problem.

Krylon shortcuts is a water-based rattle can paint that I get from my local hardware store. The florescent orange that I used on the Bixler ll Coast Guard search and rescue plane must be after coated with a water-based polyurethane or in my case I used acrylic liquid floor wax. Otherwise it will rub off on your fingers and you'll get the crap all over the white party airplane. BTW the plane itself was completely coated with acrylic floor wax and once you have done that you can paint it with any kind of paint you want it won't attack the foam it's a plastic barrier coat.

Thanks for liking my truck if I get tired of it I know who I can sell it to now

DJ
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:18 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertsjuhn View Post
To cool the inside you can make a small hole on top of the nose, in front op the canopy.
I saw a picture of some one who has done that and it looked nice.
Can not seem to find that picture anymore thought it was here on rcgroups.
I'll do this
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
130 Posts
It almost looked the same, but then without the special cap on top.
And it was a bit smaller.
But I think that will give you enough air in the fuselage.
Bertsjuhn is offline Find More Posts by Bertsjuhn
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:00 PM
Nederland, Noord-Brabant, Hoogerheide
Joined Mar 2007
538 Posts
I use plastic spoones as air intakes, workes perfect!
BadBert is offline Find More Posts by BadBert
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:38 PM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,858 Posts
So, my B2 is finally almost ready to fly...
It's almost 3 am, so I'm gonna do some electronics/setup checks tomorrow and hopefully maiden it..

Just wanted to ask, is my wing taping enough? Should I go all the way to the tips? Judging from my sloppy job on the easy parts, I think it will become very ugly if I try to do the tips...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:45 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
So, my B2 is finally almost ready to fly...
It's almost 3 am, so I'm gonna do some electronics/setup checks tomorrow and hopefully maiden it..

Just wanted to ask, is my wing taping enough? Should I go all the way to the tips? Judging from my sloppy job on the easy parts, I think it will become very ugly if I try to do the tips...
Sir I have no idea how much flying experience you have, hand launching airplanes etc. so let me suggest this even if this is preaching to the choir.

Go out into a big open space with your plane and the strap around your neck to hold DX. Face into the wind, reach down and rip off the grass hold your arm out away from your body and sprinkle it into the wind. Throw your airplane and watch how it glides don't touch the throttle. Go get it trim it and throw it again and keep doing that to that plane glides away from you in a straight line, decreasing in speed and losing out to gradually.

Only then is that plane ready to fly. If you are ready know this is am preaching to the choir but if you don't this may help.

DJ
BTW: all these things I say are mostly from what I've learned from experienced pilots. When it comes to trimming an airplane nobody does it better than the glider pilots. If you need help ask them.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby58 View Post
Took the Bix 2 for a maiden today, but misjudged distance.

http://youtu.be/bQpkRLkO3LA
Ouch i feel your pain, mine copped a barbed wire fence into the wings and fuselage.

Noticed on youtube description that hot water resurrected the foam...how long did it take?

sprucas
sprucas is offline Find More Posts by sprucas
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:38 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
The only Bixler I've ever crashed was my V1. (See video. No damage! I was lucky. Picked it up and flew again. Not sure why this happened, the plane suddenly became unresponsive. The other guy uses boosted 2.4ghz, either he knocked me out or I had a brownout.) I haven't flown it much recently because whenever I go to the field I take my AXN with me. Bix V2 will be maidened this weekend after I've taken care of some last minute things. (Spar has been reinforced with a 4mm solid spar, elevator and rudder surfaces will be reinforced with a 3mm spar tomorrow, CG and servo throws will be dialed in, gear will be secured etc)

Bixler + Flying wing - FPV in Norberg (2 min 15 sec)
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:43 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Sir I have no idea how much flying experience you have, hand launching airplanes etc. so let me suggest this even if this is preaching to the choir.

Go out into a big open space with your plane and the strap around your neck to hold DX. Face into the wind, reach down and rip off the grass hold your arm out away from your body and sprinkle it into the wind. Throw your airplane and watch how it glides don't touch the throttle. Go get it trim it and throw it again and keep doing that to that plane glides away from you in a straight line, decreasing in speed and losing out to gradually.

Only then is that plane ready to fly. If you are ready know this is am preaching to the choir but if you don't this may help.

DJ
BTW: all these things I say are mostly from what I've learned from experienced pilots. When it comes to trimming an airplane nobody does it better than the glider pilots. If you need help ask them.
Thanks for the advice DJ!
I've flown a couble scratch built foamies, and they sure cannot glide much without power. So I feel uncomfortable imagining launching my new plane without power! I've seen it in videos but I can't "feel" it's ok...

Anyway, I'll try to find tall grass and try it out! Also, keeping your "howto" for the wiki

For the moment I'm tinkering with the electronics (KK2 flight control board etc) so I may not fly it today after all. I want to be sure everything is working good.