HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
Norway, Aust-Agder, Grimstad
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
Which replacement prop with adapter do you guys recommend?
I'm inexperienced so a direct link to a HK product would be nice.
cptCory is offline Find More Posts by cptCory
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:45 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
So here she is all complete.. I was originally going with an AR6115 Rx but resorted back to my Orange 6 channel with the sat instead. I want the redundancy, and it looks cool sitting next to my Oranage 3 Axis flight stabilizer to!

I decided to put the esc on top, I want the extra room inside. However I had to cut a small access hole for my esc wires to run through. Not an issue, but also extended my bat leads to reach the front of the plane.

I should mention it seemed a little nose heavy before setting the esc in the center and mounting my 3 Axis and Receiver in the middle. This did seem to center my CG.. Installed flaps as well so I installed the single servo reverser from HK.

Here are the pics..

BTW, my plane is being set up to handle FPV gear so that why I saw the need to mount far to the rear as possible to compensate for camera equipment..
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82 View Post
So here she is all complete.. I was originally going with an AR6115 Rx but resorted back to my Orange 6 channel with the sat instead. I want the redundancy, and it looks cool sitting next to my Oranage 3 Axis flight stabilizer to!

I decided to put the esc on top, I want the extra room inside. However I had to cut a small access hole for my esc wires to run through. Not an issue, but also extended my bat leads to reach the front of the plane.

I should mention it seemed a little nose heavy before setting the esc in the center and mounting my 3 Axis and Receiver in the middle. This did seem to center my CG.. Installed flaps as well so I installed the single servo reverser from HK.

Here are the pics..

BTW, my plane is being set up to handle FPV gear so that why I saw the need to mount far to the rear as possible to compensate for camera equipment..
I am going to move my esc outside too. I FPVed Bix on the weekend. Finally found a power setup I like, 2826 1400kv and 7x6 prop. I couldn't get CG right with 3000mah battery so ESC going out side to allow more battery movement before next flights.
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
306 Posts
I've flown mine for two weekends now. All in all, I love it. I have had zero problems with a lack of power - if anything, it feels faster than the B1.

The prop adapter is a piece of crap. I believe a 3.2mm collet-type adapter will work on them, but my LHS is sold out of them (and so are all the others around me!) so I can't really tell if that's right or not. All I know is my 2mm is too small and my 4mm one is too big.

The stock spar appears to be decent enough - I've done some moderate acrobatics with it without any problems.

The wing attachment system blows. I think I will switch over to the magnet method myself. The screws do work, but they tend to work themselves loose over time, and they are virtually impossible to remove because they don't "bite" into the foam enough to turn out. Maybe a nylon bolt would work better, but magnets seem like a much better solution.

The flaps work OK with my DX6i, but you will probably want a servo reversing Y-lead to get the flaps turning properly - otherwise you'll have to plug each servo into a separate channel and use some mixes to get the flaps to work right.

All in all, I really like my B2. It's got all the nice qualities of the original and some nice upgrades. There are a few annoyances, but it's easier to set up than the original and files great.
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatControl View Post
I've flown mine for two weekends now. All in all, I love it. I have had zero problems with a lack of power - if anything, it feels faster than the B1.

The prop adapter is a piece of crap. I believe a 3.2mm collet-type adapter will work on them, but my LHS is sold out of them (and so are all the others around me!) so I can't really tell if that's right or not. All I know is my 2mm is too small and my 4mm one is too big.

The stock spar appears to be decent enough - I've done some moderate acrobatics with it without any problems.

The wing attachment system blows. I think I will switch over to the magnet method myself. The screws do work, but they tend to work themselves loose over time, and they are virtually impossible to remove because they don't "bite" into the foam enough to turn out. Maybe a nylon bolt would work better, but magnets seem like a much better solution.

The flaps work OK with my DX6i, but you will probably want a servo reversing Y-lead to get the flaps turning properly - otherwise you'll have to plug each servo into a separate channel and use some mixes to get the flaps to work right.

All in all, I really like my B2. It's got all the nice qualities of the original and some nice upgrades. There are a few annoyances, but it's easier to set up than the original and files great.

Here's a place that has 3.2mm prop adapters in -stock and cheap shipping, only $1.95 any size order:

http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/PROD/Prop/HE-F455-32
http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/PROD/Prop/HE-F456-32
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Wombat - The motor shaft doesn't look 3.2mm to me - 3.2 is actually 3.17mm = 1/8" ....if you say it is definitely bigger than 2mm, the next "standard" size is 2.3mm
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:29 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
I received mine on Saturday and had it built up within one hour, including making the tail removable. One problem I have though - it's incredibly fiddly to get the aileron & flap servo cables connected when attaching wings to fly. Has anyone come up with a nice solution?
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
Heinduplessis how did you make the tail removable?
vonbraun_ is offline Find More Posts by vonbraun_
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbraun_ View Post
Heinduplessis how did you make the tail removable?
I've glued the vert & horiz together, but the combined unit I've left unglued, but installed 4 magnets to keep it in place. Additional tape in front and behind the unit will definitely keep it in place.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
I can't seem to find my micrometer - can anyone confirm the motor shaft diameter? It is larger diameter in the motor itself - the shaft is turned down to a smaller dia. where the prop adapter connects.

Also, where is the CG (in inches) from the leading edge of wing - OR, is it for instance at the forward edge of the spar channel?
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
I am going to move my esc outside too. I FPVed Bix on the weekend. Finally found a power setup I like, 2826 1400kv and 7x6 prop. I couldn't get CG right with 3000mah battery so ESC going out side to allow more battery movement before next flights.
I found the stock motor to be somewhat under powered. However I know when I start adding FPV gear on her its gonna be near impossible to reach altitude. Unfortunately I'm new to flying with flaps and the wing spar flexes way to much! Needs re-enforcing, annnnnd the wing attaching method absolutely sucks! I found the magnets still didn't hold up as well as the 3M hooks with rubber band method used on the Bixler1.. Need ideas on the wings guys, magnets may not be the way to go either.

Motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14732

Glimmer did you have to cut away foam to fit that 3000mah? I just purchased one of these 3200mah from E-Flite..
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...3-EFLB32003S30
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:40 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82 View Post
I found the stock motor to be somewhat under powered. However I know when I start adding FPV gear on her its gonna be near impossible to reach altitude. Unfortunately I'm new to flying with flaps and the wing spar flexes way to much! Needs re-enforcing, annnnnd the wing attaching method absolutely sucks! I found the magnets still didn't hold up as well as the 3M hooks with rubber band method used on the Bixler1.. Need ideas on the wings guys, magnets may not be the way to go either.

Motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14732

Glimmer did you have to cut away foam to fit that 3000mah? I just purchased one of these 3200mah from E-Flite..
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...3-EFLB32003S30
I did have to cut foam away. I got rid of the "bump" under the canopy and a bit out of the nose. I CAed a couple of CF strips to try and keep the area strong. Cutting away the foam for the nose may have been a waste really, to balance the battery needs to be quite far back.

This is the 3000mah battery I have http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16731

I have thrown it around quite alot in the air and the wings are holding up OK so far. That might change as the tight fit into the wing saddle loosens over time.

Cheers,
Gim
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Anyone receive their B2 yet? mine is still sitting in Hong Kong! Placed my order on August 7th It's been more than 2 weeks and my package has yet to leave from that island. This has to be the all time slowest order I've had with Hobby King. typically, most of my orders are received within 10-11 days from date placed.
wow Singapore Post is totally incompetent! My B2 was shipped via Singapore "Speed Post" yeah right. so they actually took possession of my parcel on 8/17 from Hobby King, but it's been sitting in Hong Kong forever...now, my most recent status says that Singapore post had "Handover to the Airline" on August 22nd, but now 5 days later on 8/27 no change of status, and my tracking number has yet to show up in the USPS system. I'm guessing the the airline plane has yet taken off, or my parcel is still sitting on the tarmac over there in Hong Kong, although my Walrus which was ordered 1 day after the B2, but that one is already here in LA. and has already passed through customs, and will be delivered most likely in the next couple of days.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
wow Singapore Post is totally incompetent! My B2 was shipped via Singapore "Speed Post" yeah right. so they actually took possession of my parcel on 8/17 from Hobby King, but it's been sitting in Hong Kong forever...now, my most recent status says that Singapore post had "Handover to the Airline" on August 22nd, but now 5 days later on 8/27 no change of status, and my tracking number has yet to show up in the USPS system. I'm guessing the the airline plane has yet taken off, or my parcel is still sitting on the tarmac over there in Hong Kong, although my Walrus which was ordered 1 day after the B2, but that one is already here in LA. and has already passed through customs, and will be delivered most likely in the next couple of days.
I now only use EMS shipping for kits. This costs more but there are normally no delays between the POs and the Airlines. My B2 has departed from Hong Kong on the 27 Aug 2012 and I expect it to arrive on 30 Aug 2012.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:48 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatControl View Post

As to the screws in the wings, if one never expects to crash screws will work but not these screws, pitch em, use regular screws (not bolts) a bit larger in dia., let them cut their own threads and they will work very well in and out with ease.

I bought a reversing Y for the flaps only to find out this is not to be used with a DX6i. I was told this by AJ Baker, thread master of the 'Sky Surfer' thread. Then found that this 'Don't' is in the DX6i Manuel. If you are used to soldering small stuff you can reverse the servo itself buy reversing the motor leads and the two outside leads on the end of the board. I did it and I've never soldered on a circuit board before. Aj gave me a vid of this process, simple simple. If you would like I'll try and find that vid and post it for you.

Found it, this might be of help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4n1ec2w21pA

DJ
In SW Florida, nothing flying down here accept the lawn chairs
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Aug 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM.