HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:06 AM
Norway, Aust-Agder, Grimstad
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
Hi! First post from a first timer:

I'm entirely new to this hobby and ordered the B2 as my first plane together with other essentials to get it in the air. I have a question regarding CF rod(s) in the wing for extra support that I've seen a lot of you mention in this thread. In the HK store i can only find CF rods up to 2.5mm thickness any larger diameter than that is CF tubes. Will the 4x750mm CF tube be good for stiffening the wing? And do i need one or two? Should i stiffen just the main wing or the rear wing(elevator?) as well? Sorry for the stupid questions, hope you can help.

I'm so excited can't wait to get my B2!
cptCory is offline Find More Posts by cptCory
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:26 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptCory View Post

I'm entirely new to this hobby and ordered the B2 as my first plane together with other essentials to get it in the air. I have a question regarding CF rod(s) in the wing for extra support that I've seen a lot of you mention in this thread. In the HK store i can only find CF rods up to 2.5mm thickness any larger diameter than that is CF tubes. Will the 4x750mm CF tube be good for stiffening the wing? And do i need one or two? Should i stiffen just the main wing or the rear wing(elevator?) as well? Sorry for the stupid questions, hope you can help.

It can't hurt to do both but it's not likely to fall out of the sky if you don't. I bought 4mm rod at the Local Hobby Shop. I only added the extra cf rod because the Bix v1 needed it......I haven't seen anything about Bix 2 wing spars being a problem yet. They might be OK. Most mods I have read about Bixlers are good and I get around to them but it they will just fly stock. I still hold my bix 1 wings together with tape (I did the magnet mod but needed a 1/2 a new wing and never bothered installing magnets in it), I haven't put any CF in the tail of Bix 2, one day I will (and replace those clevis'!)

If you're excited, get it, build it, fly it!
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:30 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Anyone receive their B2 yet? mine is still sitting in Hong Kong! Placed my order on August 7th It's been more than 2 weeks and my package has yet to leave from that island. This has to be the all time slowest order I've had with Hobby King. typically, most of my orders are received within 10-11 days from date placed.
Hey,

I feel your pain. I ordered on the 2nd August. I've obsessively tracked it since then on various websites and apps. It was in customs for a while picking up some extra charges (about 25, I think) and now it's finally released. It's a Bank Holiday here on Monday so it's going to be Tuesday at the earliest before I can get hold of it.

A few days off a month from the order. That's a bit much these days for an 'Express 24' delivery.

I hope they get spares in the UK warehouse or it'll be going in the bin after the first crash.
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Last edited by phoxache; Aug 24, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:17 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
Hey,
I hope they get spares in the UK warehouse or it'll be going in the bin after the first crash.
The Bixler 2 is made from EPO foam so it will probably bounce well.

I ordered my Bixler 2 on 20 Aug and have just recieved an email stating that it has been packed and is ready for dispatch. If it leaves HK tomorrow evening then I should get it next Thursday.

I am looking forward to this model because I have just got a FrSky Telemetry TX Module and RX complete with an altimeter. The Bixler 2 will be my testbed to learn how to use this equipment.

I have a number of propellers that I can try on this model including examples of the GWS 7 x 3.5 x 3 Blade and 8 x 4 x 3 blade. These will require a higher than 1300 KV motor but I have some replacement motors being shipped at the moment.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
Hey would anybody be able to tell me the name of the gold socket/plug that connects the motor to the ESC?

The B2 comes with the male ends soldered to the motor wires, and I need to buy the female ends for my ESC...
vonbraun_ is offline Find More Posts by vonbraun_
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:44 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,926 Posts
From the motor to the ESC it is a 3.5mm bullet connector.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
Cheers rayonnair
vonbraun_ is offline Find More Posts by vonbraun_
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptCory View Post

These guys have an excellent stock and great service:
http://www.goodwinds.com/goodwinds/m...ultrudedcarbon
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
Norway, Aust-Agder, Grimstad
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
It can't hurt to do both but it's not likely to fall out of the sky if you don't. I bought 4mm rod at the Local Hobby Shop. I only added the extra cf rod because the Bix v1 needed it......I haven't seen anything about Bix 2 wing spars being a problem yet. They might be OK. Most mods I have read about Bixlers are good and I get around to them but it they will just fly stock. I still hold my bix 1 wings together with tape (I did the magnet mod but needed a 1/2 a new wing and never bothered installing magnets in it), I haven't put any CF in the tail of Bix 2, one day I will (and replace those clevis'!)

If you're excited, get it, build it, fly it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
These guys have an excellent stock and great service:
http://www.goodwinds.com/goodwinds/m...ultrudedcarbon
Thanks a lot for the useful info and link!
cptCory is offline Find More Posts by cptCory
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, TN, Seymour
Joined Mar 2007
68 Posts
On my orginal bixler i took the carbon spar and glued a wood dowel inside it. That really help with rigidity and flex. I had seen guys snap the spar in the original.

I had an unfortunate incident with a tree, the spar and wings survived if that is of help
zachishi is offline Find More Posts by zachishi
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
I got my B2 today, only gripe so far is the prop adapter is drilled so badly it is totally unusable. Makes the prop wobble as if the motor shaft is bent (motor shaft seems to be OK). That could explain previous posts complaining about lack of power.

Minor concern - rudder seems too small, but less a concern with ailerons, and easy to add more rudder.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Last edited by Zerts; Aug 24, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:23 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts View Post
Minor concern - rudder seems too small, but less a concern with ailerons, and easy to add more rudder.
Considering that the rudder is right in the middle of the propeller slip stream and is close to the propeller, a larger rudder may be too sensitive.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
532 Posts
Flew mine today, rudder is non existent, flew quite well for what it is.
Loop and rolls are tough, needs speed to pull throug, it stalls straight ahead, but it isnt quite one of my 35% planes so its to be expected.
100% rates on radio, Sky 2650ma pack, forward wing bolt removed and pack slid back to cg of 70mm from wing leading edge.
Tape applied to ailerons and elev hingline just in case, cf rod added to existing wing spar and spar added to Horizontal stab as it seemed a bit flimsy.
I added a mix in the radio on a switch to give full up Elevator to hand launch, flip it off once airborne.
My prop shaft adapter is bent so had a bit of jello on the Gopro.
Weather sucks here at the moment so only flew once to test it and once to test it with Go Pro.
Waiting on a new motor.
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Last edited by Panzlflyer; Aug 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
I am wondering if that large amount of downthrust on the motor alignment is also sapping the power. I have noted downthrust angle on the MPX Easy Star and the angle on the B2 is much more.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
532 Posts
the prop adapter is a real pain as there is nowhere round here to buy one, cant believe its so out of round!
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer