Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Aug 2012
147 Posts
Bixler 2 arrived today from UK warehouse in good order.
I am taking my time with the build (ARF version). There is a kite shop down the road that stocks 4mm carbon rod; lucky me. There is a model shop in town to help me with the electrics; I don't have battery's, ESC's or charger's. I need flap servo's from this shop too and all the extension leads.
I have programmed my Dx6i TX; but would appreciate some ideal settings and the manual does not have recommended control throws; I shall use my spare Orange RX. Consider me a beginner to start with. I am a returning R/C flyer with power, aerobatic slope and competition thermal soaring experience.
Any help appreciated.
Boggles is offline Find More Posts by Boggles
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:32 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
SIX EIGHT TWO..What did yer Maw say when yea were gro-in up. Save yer pennies lad and yea wull be rich..Aam still poor.....lol

Col...the comments were not directed at you ..and from your reply I agree with most of what you say..I too will try the "power" option but only as a last resort...or...for added weights as from what I have read the 1300kv motor is only good for "training"..(thats me)..lol

Does anyone know of a "quick change" mount other than the bulky add-on ones that have been used..Im not sure if you use the existing mount you can get a screwdriver into the little opening at the rear and remove them that way.
A-Flier, let me get a glass of wine, I'll be right back then tell you what I've discovered about this business of motors, mounts and center of drive.

I did the high-speed high-strength upgrade that these fellow board members had tried and recommended. But I could not bring myself to use the jack plate motor mount system. Mostly because this plane is beautiful, and that modification makes it ugly! In shapes the integrity of the overall mass is its beauty.

So I split both sides of the motor housing and pop the top off. Dugout the plastic can. Turned it around backwards, mounted my new motor to the butt end of the can. Put the can back in, checked it. Then took my lighter and heat it up small piece of steel and plunged it through the foam quarter-inch below the can. Slid a zip tie through it, pulled it up tight cut off the end. The end.

Our friends on this board showed me that trick. Other friends on the board explained to me. "If you look at the side of the plane and look at the angle of the motor and a line through the motor into the plane. You will see that that line goes through the center of effort". Obviously if you raise the motor you start pushing down on the nose because the center of effort moves forward of the center of gravity.

The way the plane is designed it would be theoretically possible with a powerful enough motor to break the plane in half flying in a straight line. With this plane the motor is always pushing down on the airframe and that's it beauty and its stability.

Nobody at my airfield and it's a big time airfield has ever seen a sky surfer type plane until I showed up with mine. I love flying in and I am there entertainment. Last time up to bat I launched it with a twist, it went right hit the grass slid out under the fence. My flight instructor walked over and told me "DJ you launched it with a severe twist to the right" thank you Sir.
Second launch was straight but overpowered and shoved the plane right onto the runway. I just hit the gas and brought it off the runway and there was this big sound of the guys behind me "all right he got it, that was cool" but then I was able to fly. I flew it really slow brought it down over the run way and shut the motor off glided to the end. Then just for fun I pull back and went straight vertical, slight right slow roll and climb and I flopped down on its back way up in the air and shut it off.

If I would've had it trimmed right I could've sat down in the chair laid the transmitter on the grass and drink a beer and just watched it.

Power it up, show off its beauty, show off its power. Leave speed to other things.

DJ
PS: "half the fun of going is looking good getting there"Name: USCG-3.jpg
Views: 201
Size: 132.9 KB
Description:
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Jan 17, 2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Correction Advised by senior board member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:39 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Slight preference for Turnigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
They are both good batteries, and very cheap, but personally I like to stick to one brand of battery, and that's Turnigy
+1. My Turnigy's last about 2 years with frequent use. They are my "go to" LiPo's of choice. Still, Zippy's have served me well over the years, too (after they fixed the puffing problems).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:44 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fendall View Post
Bixler 2 arrived today from UK warehouse in good order.
I am taking my time with the build (ARF version). There is a kite shop down the road that stocks 4mm carbon rod; lucky me. There is a model shop in town to help me with the electrics; I don't have battery's, ESC's or charger's. I need flap servo's from this shop too and all the extension leads.
I have programmed my Dx6i TX; but would appreciate some ideal settings and the manual does not have recommended control throws; I shall use my spare Orange RX. Consider me a beginner to start with. I am a returning R/C flyer with power, aerobatic slope and competition thermal soaring experience.
Any help appreciated.
Elevator +/- 1/4 in.
Rudder - as much throw as you can get.
Ailerons - +/- 1/4"
Flaps - Do not use them until you have 3-4 hours of flying and lots of landings. This plane is so well designed, I don't use flaps at all. I have not even hooked them up and I don't intend to use them. For my flying needs, the flaps are unnecessary. However, others might love them. It is really a personal preference. But, while you are learning to fly, I suggest that you do not use them.
AJ
BTW - Great decision to put a 4mm rod into the spar. The spar desperately needs the additional strength.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:50 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
I was just giving advice I'm probably not qualified to give to A-flier about motor mounts in my general philosophy about the Bixler two. I said some stuff about angle of effort as far as how the motor is mounted I'm not sure the angle of effort from the motor runs through the CG in looking at my plane I don't think it does.

So if I have confused him please straightness both of us out.

DJ
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
<SNIP>
So I split both sides of the motor housing and pop the top off. Dugout the plastic can. Turned it around backwards, mounted my new motor to the butt end of the can. Put the can back in, checked it. Then took my lighter and heat it up small piece of steel and plunged it through the foam quarter-inch below the can. Slid a zip tie through it, pulled it up tight cut off the end. The end.
I like the description - keeping the beauty. Could you please take some close-ups of your motor mounting. I would like to do what you did. It looks like really nice work. I will certainly owe you a favor for doing this. Oh, why did you not just CA glue ˝ of the can mount? Also, I am having a hard time visualizing how/why you used a zip tie. I am certain that it is necessary. I just need some help understanding the mod. TIA.
AJ
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:59 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I was just giving advice I'm probably not qualified to give to A-flier about motor mounts in my general philosophy about the Bixler two. I said some stuff about angle of effort as far as how the motor is mounted I'm not sure the angle of effort from the motor runs through the CG in looking at my plane I don't think it does.

So if I have confused him please straightness both of us out.

DJ
I think your discussion was clear and probably helped a lot of folks IMO. I just had a couple of questions because I am an old guy.
AJ
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:34 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
So maybe I should be looking at sailplanes...
The Bix 2 is considered a "sailplane". Get a Radian Pro if you want speed.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:06 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,062 Posts
spar

Quote:
And then, as if to prove a point, I immediately went out and flew it too fast, snapping one wing in midflight!

Another lesson learned: Don't try to repair a spar, it will not be as strong as a new one!

Datura..Im still in the "build" and found that the hollow spar was pretty weak and replaced it with a solid one.. I have also added 2 parallel carbon strips(seen in another forum) to each wing and tail and a solid 5mm rod in rear of fuselage. The Bixler rods have been put in my spares basket.
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:53 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,062 Posts
Thanks for your input sculptor and agree with AJ..very constructive No one is an expert here. I too would like to see how it was done..I had thought about cutting the top off too and using magnets but scared the top would blow off

And..to end the lesson.....lol...The word “expert” is formed from the conjunction of two roots which, phonetically, can be represented as “x” and “spurt”. Everyone knows that “X” is an unknown quantity. A “spurt” is what one gets from squeezing a drop of water. Therefore, an expert is an unknown drip under pressure.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:59 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,547 Posts
Quote:
And then, as if to prove a point, I immediately went out and flew it too fast, snapping one wing in midflight!

Another lesson learned: Don't try to repair a spar, it will not be as strong as a new one!

If you're considering a sailplane for flying in a windy area , a hotliner like a Multiplex Blizzard slices right through the wind .
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUTV3&P=7

There are also less expensive Blizzard copies like the Dynamic -S http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23575
and the ST Models Blaze
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXACFW&P=ML

But be warned , they are VERY fast ! ( but they can handle the G's )

Blizzard Multiplex Hotliner extrem 186km/h Steigen 40m/s (2 min 49 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jan 17, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:01 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your input sculptor and agree with AJ..very constructive No one is an expert here. I too would like to see how it was done..I had thought about cutting the top off too and using magnets but scared the top would blow off

And..to end the lesson.....lol...The word “expert” is formed from the conjunction of two roots which, phonetically, can be represented as “x” and “spurt”. Everyone knows that “X” is an unknown quantity. A “spurt” is what one gets from squeezing a drop of water. Therefore, an expert is an unknown drip under pressure.
A-flier, as my daughter would say "you're too cool for school"

DJ
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:52 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Datura..Im still in the "build" and found that the hollow spar was pretty weak and replaced it with a solid one.. I have also added 2 parallel carbon strips(seen in another forum) to each wing and tail and a solid 5mm rod in rear of fuselage. The Bixler rods have been put in my spares basket.
Looking good!

I wish I could go back and add a full-width spar to my horiz. stab like you did there!

Mind if I ask where you sourced your solid 5mm rod? I snapped mine today.
I've heard that CF Arrows can be used as well, but I've not done my own local searching yet.
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:52 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,062 Posts
WOW..Balsa Carbon....What was that...faster than a speeding bullet..Dont even think Superman could fly that fast...tell us it's not standard..??? Even at idle it "flies"
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:48 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,547 Posts
Quote:
WOW..Balsa Carbon....What was that...faster than a speeding bullet..Dont even think Superman could fly that fast...tell us it's not standard..??? Even at idle it "flies"
That's a fast one , but at least you can see it in the video . Check out these gliders , " dynamic soaring " - NO MOTOR ! So fast you can barely see them go by !

The Worlds Fastest RC Airplanes Close to 400 mph (3 min 8 sec)

There are other videos where they're going even faster ( over 400mph ! ) , so fast you can't see 'em !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon