HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:59 AM
Joined Jan 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
I am very new to RC, but I had a servo go out in the wing last week and it was a pain to replace due to being glued in. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to pull a new servo wire through the little channel.

I ended up pulling up the old servo, cutting the wires and then soldering a new servo on to the old cable.

Since then, I've seen a photo of someone's setup where they kept the servo wires on the outside of the wing. Seems like they would be easier to replace that way.
Thanks for the tip.
I could also close it with some strong tape. Then I can always open it if needed. But I do not know if that is strong enough for the wing spar.
Bertsjuhn is offline Find More Posts by Bertsjuhn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:12 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
Thanks AussieHoppy - I am more interested in your current version for the elevator servo; I think you end up being higher and would have to connect to the elevator from the top side (but I cant find a photo you uploaded for that). Would you suggest that I mount the elevator servo lower in the tail so that I can stay on the bottom side of the elevator? Would you suggest the same mounting positions as your current version - or slightly back? or the way you originally did it on your 1st Bixler2? I plan on doing FPV as well.
here's some pics
if there is ever a MkIII, i'll be moving them a little further aft and probably closer together... maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertsjuhn View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I could also close it with some strong tape. Then I can always open it if needed. But I do not know if that is strong enough for the wing spar.
@ datura, I managed to get my servo wires out, but I was cautious with how I glued the foam block in place so it was a matter of patience & perseverance...
@ Bertsjuhn, I think this foam block adds a lot of strength to the wing when glued in place, and aids the cf spar. Tape over the block after it is glued in for added strength, but I personally wouldnt rely on just tape
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:55 AM
Nederland, Noord-Brabant, Hoogerheide
Joined Mar 2007
528 Posts
can i use the supplied control horns? (i'll use some epoxy to glue them)
or do you advise to use other horns (from hobby king?)
BadBert is offline Find More Posts by BadBert
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:16 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBert View Post
can i use the supplied control horns? (i'll use some epoxy to glue them)
or do you advise to use other horns (from hobby king?)
My step son's Bix2 is rock stock using the stock control horns/clevises and havent had an issue, but she flies slow, and nothing bigger than a 2200mah lipo, so she is as light as a Bix could ever be.

My Bix2 on the other hand, is carrying a lot of weight, and my flying style can be a little risky so I prefer to have quality.

Choice is yours... if it is only to learn on, or enjoy totally stock, the standard horns/clevises should be fine, just keep an eye on them for any signs of fatigue, particularly after an altercation with terra firma, then double check & recheck everything on the plane
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Mar 2007
528 Posts
i am going to add FPV gear and a big lipo....

so which horns/clevises should i use (preferably from hobbyking)

EDIT: are these better than original, or the same:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_10sets_.html

And should i replace the clevices also? or just the horns?
Last edited by BadBert; Jan 08, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2012
124 Posts
2620-1900kv motor?

Would the Bixler 2 work ok with the stock SkySurfer/Bixler1 20A ESC, 2620-1900kv motor, and 6x4 prop? I have these laying around and am wondering if I can use them...
Thanks!
maurof78 is offline Find More Posts by maurof78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI F450 - 1 mile FPV flight
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
@ Bertsjuhn, I think this foam block adds a lot of strength to the wing when glued in place, and aids the cf spar. Tape over the block after it is glued in for added strength, but I personally wouldnt rely on just tape
Thanks for the heads up.. Glue it will be
Bertsjuhn is offline Find More Posts by Bertsjuhn
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:35 PM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBert View Post
i am going to add FPV gear and a big lipo....

so which horns/clevises should i use (preferably from hobbyking)

EDIT: are these better than original, or the same:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_10sets_.html

And should i replace the clevices also? or just the horns?
My two cents - the stock horns were a little loose so I dabbed a tiny bit of epoxy on top of each horn this has secured well
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
528 Posts
Oh, so the stock ones are strong enough, but just a bit loose?

Thats nothing a bit of epoxy cant fix!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:09 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AscotRC View Post
My two cents - the stock horns were a little loose so I dabbed a tiny bit of epoxy on top of each horn this has secured well
I thought that you just push the two components together to secure the horn. It's a similar concept to zip ties.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:01 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
I thought that you just push the two components together to secure the horn. It's a similar concept to zip ties.
Safer with a little bit of the epoxy.

Rather be safe than sorry!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:59 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
here's some pics
if there is ever a MkIII, i'll be moving them a little further aft and probably closer together... maybe...

@ datura, I managed to get my servo wires out, but I was cautious with how I glued the foam block in place so it was a matter of patience & perseverance...
I would go so far as to say the foam block is CRITICAL to the rigidity of the wing. As you'll soon find out, the more rigid the wing can be, the better this plane flies by any conceivable measure.

Many people opt to reinforce the carbon fiber by inserting a smaller rod inside. I just ordered some CF from this place: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V641945 I hope to take Corporal B's tip and add some CF strips as well.

The other thing I did that really helped was to use thick wood screws instead of the weak screws that came with the plane. They really bite into the foam and tightened the wing up hugely.

Have Fun!
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
1000kv is too low for an 8x6. This motor is a better choice.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
Sorry - I wasn't subscribed ! I will buy this motor a soon as HK has an ammeter in stock.
ilium007 is offline Find More Posts by ilium007
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:18 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp666 View Post
An 8" prop is to big without a motor mount, I use one of these, nice quality and fast delivery.

http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...product_id=135
Yep - my small parts cnc mount arrived in the mail this morning.
ilium007 is offline Find More Posts by ilium007
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:28 PM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Yeah- exactly like a zip tie, except the lock was broken on mine and after adjusting the clevis a couple of time it came loose which wasn't comforting, dab of epoxy was easy and now it is stuck for good!
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC