618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_mich View Post
hxt900 and tg9e are identical.
they are defenately not!
Specs are not the same, and even HK warns:
Quote:
Important.
The TG9e does not have the same strength and longevity as the HXT900.
Please ensure your control surfaces are bind-free and always check servos after a hard landing or crash!
BadBert is offline Find More Posts by BadBert
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Dec 2010
52 Posts
I've modded my Bixler2 for FPV and completed my first few flights transmitting video. Mostly, I flew LOS and let my spotter watch the video signal, but I did spend a couple of minutes flying FPV - it was a blast.

I've flown with the GoPro several times, before the added weight of the additional battery, transmitter, and KK board. Now it's pretty heavy and I can just barely get enough lift to hand launch. It also cruises near full-throttle. When I do take the FPV canopy off and rebalance by moving the battery to the nose, it flys great! I'll need to make a lighter weight canopy and I've got a more powerful motor on order.

Here's the recent mods I made:
-ESC moved to top of fuselodge. I cut a slot in the wire channel and squeezed the ESC in. I also shortened the motor wires and soldered them directly to the ESC and replaced the short battery connector with a long one.
-Hatch cut to access rear fuselodge behind second wing screw. I moved my radio RX there, with antennas running into the tail.
-HK KK Board 2.1 flashed with OpenAero installed in the hatch. It was barely too big when sitting in a diamond shape, so I removed a little foam on the sides to get it in. This board/firmware gives me gyro stabilization that I can switch on/off from my TX. I'm really impressed with the stability after a few test flights.
-Canopy/FPV pod made from 1/4" plywood and spray painted. Holds GoPro and HK 5.8 200mw vTx on top and 460mah battery underneath.
RadioNick is offline Find More Posts by RadioNick
Last edited by RadioNick; Dec 18, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
411 Posts
Finally, here's the first flight video. No OSD footage, just GoPro

Hobbyking Bixler 2 FPV - GoPro / #16 keychain cam (3 min 45 sec)
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Nice video Corp.
M.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
639 Posts
Had Fun Today!

I had a good day today! A beautiful sunny windless day. Flew my Bixler 2 twice. Both flights were great. As you can tell I am kind of new to flying my rc. Finally can fly it LOS without crashing. Thought I share a few pictures. Next is FPV and UAV. I have some of the equipment and have some coming. Thanks for looking

farmertom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
Finally, here's the first flight video. No OSD footage, just GoPro
Nice video
Just got my first fpv set up throught th mail . I am at the moment mounting it on the Bix 2 and finalizing the ground station .
Cannot wait to try it .
I like the colors and design you used on your plane

Mik
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBert View Post
they are defenately not!
Specs are not the same, and even HK warns:
Well quoted.
+1. theo_mich's suggesting that those two servos (TG9 vs HXT900) are identical is very bad advice. I hope he deletes that entry so no one gets misled.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:55 AM
Australia, NSW, Springwood
Joined Dec 2012
329 Posts
Bixler 2 FPV basic build

Hi all,

Just finished my Bixler2 kit build for FPV with a few of the more common mods and put it up on youtube. Just a basic 250mw Fatshark system to get my feet wet, so the degree of mods may increase as I get into more advanced FPV gear.

Magnetic side hatch is very handy - highly recommended! What I didn't say on the video was that I inserted a length of control rod through the hatch foam so that it doesn't bend much when I pull the hatch off the magnets.

Hobbyking Bixler 2 FPV (Fatshark) Build Video 2 (3 min 45 sec)
ZaksterBlue is offline Find More Posts by ZaksterBlue
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:25 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Katerini
Joined Jun 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Well quoted.
+1. theo_mich's suggesting that those two servos (TG9 vs HXT900) are identical is very bad advice. I hope he deletes that entry so no one gets misled.
AJ
Well misleading is that you use the HK warning to support your argument.
I have in front of me one of each of these servos, all opened up, and they are IDENTICALL. Exactly the same case, gears, motor, pot, pcb, ic and OEM. I cant really compare the firmware but my servo tester gives the same results.
theo_mich is offline Find More Posts by theo_mich
Last edited by theo_mich; Dec 19, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
135 Posts
I like the new air hole in the top since I can imagine that there will get a lot of dirt inside through the one on the bottom.

I am waiting for Santa to give me my bixler 2.
And I am looking at a lot of different builds, mods, vids and stuff people put on or done with it.

Since this is the first plane I ever flew (except the multicopters that I fly) I have ordered the ARF version.
I am very curious how it will be to fly with this plane and I will share my n00b findings

Once I know how to fly it I will get a kit version and customize it and fit some FPV gear on it.

This is what I ordered:
- Turnigy Servo Signal Reverser
- Turnigy AE-20A Brushless ESC
- 2x HK15178 Analog Servo 10g / 1.4kg / 0.09s (for the Flaps)

Bertsjuhn is offline Find More Posts by Bertsjuhn
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:28 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_mich View Post
Well misleading is that you use the HK warning to support your argument.
I have in front of me one of each of these servos, all opened up, and they are IDENTICALL. Exactly the same case, gears, motor, pot, pcb, ic and OEM. I cant really compare the firmware but my servo tester gives the same results.
Just because they look identical does not mean they are. i.e. the electronics are NOT identical and therein lies the problem. Also, use a watt meter and you will see the current draws are different, too. The reason HK puts that warning there is to prevent anyone having a failure by doing exactly what you are suggesting. However, if it works for you, that is great. Just please do not advise others to make the same mistake that HK specifically warns against.
Also, the cases (just for starters are very different sizes if you have the new TG9e's). You are desperately trying to be right. Unfortunately, your attempt to do so will only cause others to perhaps have crashes by following your suggestion. Again, If it works for you - fine. When you crash, no one will care.
FWIW. On a personal note, up until ~8 mos. ago, I had 4 TG9 servos. That is when the last one failed due to poor/lost centering. All of them failed the same way. All the technical stuff is moot when you consider that it has such a short life span. Is it really worth the $0.69 difference between a known bad servo and the HXT900? My planes are worth a lot more than than the risk of using a TG9. I tried them though for flaps and a rudder and they all failed. So much for that inferior servo.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiau Pa
Joined Dec 2006
667 Posts
Hey guys, I've got a ton of CF thin strip which is nice and easy to just cut a deep slot into wing and CA them in, they don't allow alot of flexing though, also I have a 6mm Fiberglass rod I can use, anyone put CF strips in with success? I'll be putting in the 80g 2200kv Prop drive motor so will be spending some time reinforcing the wing.
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:44 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonunder View Post
Hey guys, I've got a ton of CF thin strip which is nice and easy to just cut a deep slot into wing and CA them in, they don't allow alot of flexing though, also I have a 6mm Fiberglass rod I can use, anyone put CF strips in with success? I'll be putting in the 80g 2200kv Prop drive motor so will be spending some time reinforcing the wing.
Check out my video a few posts back. You can see where I successfully installed cf strip. Flies like a dream now, pretty darn fast too. Check my other vid a few posts up.

Before the wing reinforcement it would flap around like crazy and I actually feared the wing would snap in half.

I also have glued a 4mn solid cf rod into the existing stock cf wing spar. Definitely needs it with a 2826/6 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop setup
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiau Pa
Joined Dec 2006
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
Check out my video a few posts back. You can see where I successfully installed cf strip. Flies like a dream now, pretty darn fast too. Check my other vid a few posts up.

Before the wing reinforcement it would flap around like crazy and I actually feared the wing would snap in half.

I also have glued a 4mn solid cf rod into the existing stock cf wing spar. Definitely needs it with a 2826/6 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop setup
Great thanks! I Only have 750mm lengths but I'm guessing most of the stresses are in the middle where the wings meet anyway...
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:25 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Katerini
Joined Jun 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Just because they look identical does not mean they are. i.e. the electronics are NOT identical and therein lies the problem. Also, use a watt meter and you will see the current draws are different, too. The reason HK puts that warning there is to prevent anyone having a failure by doing exactly what you are suggesting. However, if it works for you, that is great. Just please do not advise others to make the same mistake that HK specifically warns against.
Also, the cases (just for starters are very different sizes if you have the new TG9e's). You are desperately trying to be right. Unfortunately, your attempt to do so will only cause others to perhaps have crashes by following your suggestion. Again, If it works for you - fine. When you crash, no one will care.
FWIW. On a personal note, up until ~8 mos. ago, I had 4 TG9 servos. That is when the last one failed due to poor/lost centering. All of them failed the same way. All the technical stuff is moot when you consider that it has such a short life span. Is it really worth the $0.69 difference between a known bad servo and the HXT900? My planes are worth a lot more than than the risk of using a TG9. I tried them though for flaps and a rudder and they all failed. So much for that inferior servo.
AJ
Again YOU are desperetely trying to prove something. I can't really figure out what. I didn't suggest using tg9 against hxt900. I just stated that they are identical. Maybe I should state that "the ones I received are identical".

The cases are IDENTICAL. Exactly the same dimensions. So is all pcb components and the ic. I don't have to prove anything, especially to your biased assumptions.

Again I don't suggest buying tg9 instead of hxt900. I'm just stating that the batch I received are identical.
(I may do so after I use them for a dozen of flights.)

Over and out.
theo_mich is offline Find More Posts by theo_mich