79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdchaos View Post
looks like the bixler 2 kit is back in stock in the usa warehouse

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

as well as the original bixler kit

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

last time there was a mad rush on them.
I saw people mention buddy codes, is there anybody out with one that can share one with me?
paradoxstyle is offline Find More Posts by paradoxstyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBert View Post
curious what other people advise for a good setup for this plane WITH fpv setup...

I would like to have the b2 at a cruise speed of 40kph, at max 50% throttle.
I would like it to fly for 30 minutes on 3300 mah including launch and some more throttle

any experiences here to get those results?

by the way, for the people who want to buy it from the NL warehouse:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...9-FE8BC02B979D
Well BadBert having read more quotes from other website forums / sources saying things like below

Quote:
Trading voltage for amperage in P=VI gives longer flight times. Raise voltage, use slower motors and more aggressive props. Lower resistance everywhere (batt, esc, wiring) is crucial.
another quote

Quote:
The 2826 2200kv motor is great for faster planes, but uses a lot of current to make thrust. A lower-kv motor with a large prop is much more efficient.
and somebody else

Quote:
Reducing weight is, indeed, the biggest key to extending flight times. Then bigger props, and flatter, higher-torque, lower-kv motors.
and few other quotes and ideas that people just saying to limit amperage, ie better not to run higher kv motors, in this case probably +2200kv motors in our case. Unless of course maximum flight time doesn't matter for the person.

Sooo with this in mind, I think it might be best not to go the 2200kv route as others have in order to prolong flight time. I am thinking more along the lines of 1400kv, or maybe that Turnigy C2826/1650kv posted just above, or mabye going lower to like 1100kv and running 9" props if possible?? Hmm.. would be nice to hear a discussion on the matter. I am curious what is the maximum propeller we can use on this thing now without purchasing new motor mounts(isint there a trick to pull out the motor mount and flip it or something?), and with motor mounts.
Last edited by paradoxstyle; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, NY, Dansville
Joined Jul 2010
44 Posts
Received E-mail from HK that they had 38 kits back in stock at 5:06 AM this morning. They were all gone by 1 PM. Less than 7 hours!!!
Maylon is offline Find More Posts by Maylon
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
79 Posts
Having read this link here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545745 looks like the sk3 outperforms the ntm series line of motors (sk3 > ntm > other hk/turnigy motors), if I had to give it a percentage maybe 5-10% more efficient?

Reading more about the differences looks like ntm is like their best in house product that they make at HK, where as sk3 is a product where they outsource the internal parts (someone commented about potentially being an expensive scorpion brand) and use their own HK casing with it, and sk3 represents their best / most efficient motors HK sells better then their own ntm in house line up. Sooo now I am looking at the SK3 line and looking at their 28 size motors... long list, lots of choices to narrow down still...

If someone more informed then me could have a look at the list and recommend one / + any other hardware necessary for the install that would be awesome. I think the perfect choice would be one that can use the biggest prop (7x5?) at, use least amount of amperage / lowest kv for maximum flight time while still being practical (powerful enough that at full throttle it almost starts to flutter), and still be able to carry fpv gear.
Last edited by paradoxstyle; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
I had a scary moment when flying the Bixler FPV today. The crazy humidity was ruining the video signal when flying back and the video was going in and out only a few hundred meters away. I lost control signal too for a few seconds, but I eventually got the plane back. I've been to the same distance on clear sunny days, but today was completely overcast with recent rain.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylon View Post
Received E-mail from HK that they had 38 kits back in stock at 5:06 AM this morning. They were all gone by 1 PM. Less than 7 hours!!!
hotcakes!! I still have my spare frame in the garage waiting for me to go fpv on it
ampdchaos is offline Find More Posts by ampdchaos
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
79 Posts
found some quotes from people with the SK3 - 2826-1240kv, he's got a raptor which similar in size/design to our bixler
Quote:
Hi,
Just browsing the posts here and thought I mIght add my motor choice after trying a few.
I ended up liking the following and not mods needed.
NTM 2826A -1200kv on 8x4 prop with Turnigy AE 45a esc.I like long distance flying so set up with 2x2200mah 3S. Doesn't climb anywhere near vertical, but with Batts, Osd, flight controller, Vx batt and Tx etc I get 50mins cruising at 4-5amps and 20km+. The trade off is climb performance and speed.
I found finding much info hard so just went trial and error. Hope that helps someone.
link to thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...471573&page=17
link to motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

This motor doesn't sound too fast, maybe at best almost moderate fast? has a very low draw of current at least but not so sure it has enough speed to give it a 'fun enough' factor.

Think the only other motor from the series that works well is the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2836-1500 link at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Anyone know how this motor might compare to the following motors;
1) NTM Prop Drive 28-36 1800KV http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=21480
2) D2826-10 1400kv Brushless Motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12920
3) D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12919

Anybody with the above motors want to report their experience? the prop / bat / esc setup your running and your flight characteristics? Any fluttering at full throttle, or no fluttering? does it feel overpowered/fluttered, just at the maximum power the plane can handle with very little fluttering or at the peak of almost fluttering, or just moderate/fast speed with no signs of fluttering.

Watching youtube ( below link ), the NTM 29-36 2200kv motor definitely flutters, sounds like from the pilots experience it is too much for the plane. Switching to a 7x5 (which is what I want to use to be energy efficient for increased flight time) sounds like it would be too much with that 2200kv motor.
Bixler 2 Motor Upgrade: TEST FLIGHT (7 min 56 sec)
Last edited by paradoxstyle; Dec 12, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
The Bixler 2's wings will flutter with the stock motor.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
The Bixler 2's wings will flutter with the stock motor.
with no wind conditions the stock motor can flutter the wings just by flying/accelerating horizontally? a bit confused, I can maybe understand flying vertically downwards to get the speed, but your saying the stock motor has enough oomph in it it to flutter the wings just from accelerating in a horizontal straight flight? I am assumming similar to the video I just edited/posted above with the 6x4 prop?
Last edited by paradoxstyle; Dec 12, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:40 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
I am running a 2826-2200 motor with 60a esc, 6x4 prop and man does thing have some power now....... The only problem, (and it is a big problem) y wings collapsed on them selfs the other day. I have only flown this thing a few times and this time there was not a drop of wind so I pushed her and watched the wings start to flutter like a bird.

It was only a matter of time that the wings were going to give way, but I kept pushing.......

I am now starting to look into a MUCH stronger support rod. Im hoping this will fix the problem. The stock one is shitful......

I haven't looked through this entire tread, so I'm not sure if others have made mention of this or has a solution to the problem.....
Terra is offline Find More Posts by Terra
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I am running a 2826-2200 motor with 60a esc, 6x4 prop and man does thing have some power now....... The only problem, (and it is a big problem) y wings collapsed on them selfs the other day. I have only flown this thing a few times and this time there was not a drop of wind so I pushed her and watched the wings start to flutter like a bird.

It was only a matter of time that the wings were going to give way, but I kept pushing.......

I am now starting to look into a MUCH stronger support rod. Im hoping this will fix the problem. The stock one is shitful......

I haven't looked through this entire tread, so I'm not sure if others have made mention of this or has a solution to the problem.....

hey mate sorry to hear that, hope the damage wasnt too bad. Having read the thread I dont recall if it was here that I read it but there was a bixler 2 with what the guy said about 150flights put through, and while he was on a modified motor *I cant remember the exact one now* he actually broke his right wing in half while accelerating as well with something else, maybe due to fluttering as well.

There was some other thread I read though with a bixler 1 that reinforced it exceptionally well with rods and fiberglass tape (also called 3m Extreme Tape, or generic bi-directional fiberglass tape, or even repair tape same stuff sold at sport stores that fix hockey sticks / rackets). Anyways ill see if I can find the link for you, btw any pics? sorry curiousity killing me here

Ohh also wanted to ask, any previous damage to that portion of the plane, and also how much fluttering were you experiencing? did you experience flutter only at full throttle or was it more like 3/4 or 4/5 throttle? and lastly were you flying horizontally straight, or did you swoop down then start pulling up to a horizontal level all while still accelerating?

-Edit: Heres one link below. the idea is the same, just put rods in all sections that you deem as being weak and fiberglass tape the weak spots too, entire wings if you have to like that one bixler guy did.
Bixler build part 6 - Stiffening the tail (6 min 19 sec)
Last edited by paradoxstyle; Dec 13, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:17 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post

Hi. Put a 4mm solid carbon rod down the centre of the original wing tube, makes it a lot stiffer. Or something of that nature, some people talk about using arrow shafts?
Here is a link to Corpral B, blog spot, where he has done most mods.
http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/
Enjoy.
M.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:18 AM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Solid 6mm Carbon Fibre Rod for WingSpar... 3M Cloth tape on the wings.....

I run a 2826 2200kv with an APC 6x4 prop and even at full power no dramas so far, touch wood. Its on a Bixler 1 but would apply the same to the Bixler 2
Amfamora is offline Find More Posts by Amfamora
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:27 AM
Nederland, Noord-Brabant, Hoogerheide
Joined Mar 2007
590 Posts
I plan to reinforce the standard spar by inserting a solid carbon rod, and adding carbon just in front of the ailerons and flaps.

by the way, what would be better, this motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

or this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_696W.html

For my purpose on running 30 minutes on 3300 mah, with a cruise speed of 40 kph??

Or would this be better:"
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

with an 8" prop or something?
BadBert is online now Find More Posts by BadBert
Last edited by BadBert; Dec 13, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
700 Posts
Does anyone know what the wing area is of the Bixler 2?
(The v1 was 26dmē)
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus