HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Good looking. Glad the mods worked out. I to was disappointed with the stock and did same type of upgrades. I now have a GOPRO fitted up front and it flies great with plenty of throttle left if needed. Next step FPV gear.
Enjoy
M.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:56 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,814 Posts
just some lazy chase footage with my Bixler2

Bix2 MkII Low Level Chase Gimmer 08122012 (11 min 7 sec)
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
just some lazy chase footage with my Bixler2

https://vimeo.com/55219713
Thanks It was fun to watch as my friend is is looking into fpv so he can follow me.
But I'm sure its harder than it looks from your video.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Has anyone tried cutting off the up swept wingtips to see who the plane handled? I'm thinking it might be faster, more maneuverable but with less lift and stability.....
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr View Post
Has anyone tried cutting off the up swept wingtips to see who the plane handled? I'm thinking it might be faster, more maneuverable but with less lift and stability.....
do it, and report back
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Check out the Mulitplex EasyStar for this mod. The results should be comparable
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:43 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,770 Posts
Quote:
Short answer is yes.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
here's some latest pics of my Bixler2:

chopped the nose off and glued, then screwed, then taped some plywood in place. I then drilled 8 small holes like so:

o o o o

o o o o

and zip tied the non-waterproof GoPro back door to the ply, the GoPro is then inserted into the front of the case and then gets clipped onto the permanently attached back door.

I have a 3000mah 3S in the remaining nose area, an orangeRX stabiliser inside my hatch(just under the CG) the UHF receiver right at the back of the hatched area(pretty much underneath the motor) along with a 4500mah 3S to power the FPV pod and it balances at 6cm back from leading edge pretty well, with a slight tendency for nose heaviness.... which is better than tail heaviness in my experience.

I cut the original clear plastic cover so I could slip it back onto the FPV pod, but I didn't want to create a greenhouse effect with the VTX inside there, so I sprayed the inside of the plastic with silver paint (Honda Civic Alabaster Silver to be exact, left over from a repair job on my car lol) There's enough of a gap for air to flow in under the camera and up out by the antenna. will have to remove and replace this though for every flight as I use a rubber band to doubly secure the fpv pod to the canopy area.

Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:57 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
690 Posts
Quote:

I did that with my Bix V1, definitely more maneuverable but still very stable, easy to fly hands off for periods of time but can be thrown all over the sky if you want, good fun.
Gimmer is online now Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
Looks great! Have you flown it yet? Looks too clean to have flown! My advice is "Don't go in nose first"!!!!
Good Luck!
farmertom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,770 Posts
Quote:

chopped the nose off and glued, then screwed, then taped some plywood in place. I then drilled 8 small holes like so:

o o o o

o o o o

and zip tied the non-waterproof GoPro back door to the ply, the GoPro is then inserted into the front of the case and then gets clipped onto the permanently attached back door.

I have a 3000mah 3S in the remaining nose area, an orangeRX stabiliser inside my hatch(just under the CG) the UHF receiver right at the back of the hatched area(pretty much underneath the motor) along with a 4500mah 3S to power the FPV pod and it balances at 6cm back from leading edge pretty well, with a slight tendency for nose heaviness.... which is better than tail heaviness in my experience.

I cut the original clear plastic cover so I could slip it back onto the FPV pod, but I didn't want to create a greenhouse effect with the VTX inside there, so I sprayed the inside of the plastic with silver paint (Honda Civic Alabaster Silver to be exact, left over from a repair job on my car lol) There's enough of a gap for air to flow in under the camera and up out by the antenna. will have to remove and replace this though for every flight as I use a rubber band to doubly secure the fpv pod to the canopy area.

Could you show pics of how you were able to install a 3000mah and a 4500 mah bat.
That would help us out as were trying fpv for the first time and not sure what size we might need but with that set up you could stay up for a very long time.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Could you show pics of how you were able to install a 3000mah and a 4500 mah bat.
That would help us out as were trying fpv for the first time and not sure what size we might need but with that set up you could stay up for a very long time.
oops, I meant 450 mah 3S.... it's tiny lol

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the 3000mah inside the nose, i've put it away for the night now 00.44am here
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
I did that with my Bix V1, definitely more maneuverable but still very stable, easy to fly hands off for periods of time but can be thrown all over the sky if you want, good fun.
Thanks for the replies. This is for my FPV SSS which is a big beast with lots of power. I've got an extra wing set coming so I think I'll try a new wing design with no winglets. The SSS for me is a bit slow in response and for my flying area.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,770 Posts
Quote:
oops, I meant 450 mah 3S.... it's tiny lol

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the 3000mah inside the nose, i've put it away for the night now 00.44am here
Ok that makes sense now as im sure it would be almost imposible to fly with that much weight.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
I can attest to that, I watched Gimmer throw it all over the shot! Impressive flying Gimmer! My impression is, if flown without winglets and kept light eg 2200 batt or smaller, and although she is still a bixler, she transforms into a very agile bixler
But that was a version 1 bixler, no idea if you'd achieve the same agility with a version 2 bix

I was thinking if there was a way to straighten the wingtips to keep the entire wing flat...
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'