|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiack View Post
Had a BAD nose into ground yesterday, split and smooshed the nose bad,
But it also broke the carbon tube at the end of the right wing,

sadly earler i also had a crash and folded the wing out by the aileron servo that glued up fine,
and went back out to fly again,,bad move,

so my carbon tube is broken and now glued inside my wing,

im planning on just gluing the wings into the body, but before i do whats a good fix for the broken carbon tubes? sleeve them??
thanks
john
I glued a tube in that needed removal and I got a long piece of K&S brass tubing that had an ID just larger than the OD of the CF tube. I chucked the K&S brass tube into my hand drill and it tracked right down the CF tube and it pulled right out. I then replaced it with a carbon fiber arrow shaft. You won't break that... easily.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:59 AM
Australia, SA, Aldinga
Joined May 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp666 View Post
If you have ordered it from Small Parts CNC your build might not be that slow. Mine arrived in the UK 4 days after ordering. V impressed.

M
Hi M

That's the one. Good value, and it'll be indestructable, unlike just about everything else on the plane. LOL

Mine will not be for FPV. Can't do that in AU, and not interested anyway. I have a #18 keychain cam to use for video.

:-)

Mike
MichaelTDM900 is offline Find More Posts by MichaelTDM900
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:28 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Hi Farmertom.
At present I am flying my Bixler 2 non FPV but with a GOPRO Hero 2 up front.
Like a lot on this thread, my set up is a Turnigy D2826/6 2200Kv motor with a 6 x4 prop. The ESC is a Turnigy Plush 40amp. Battery is a 2200 11.1 (3s).

I hand launch at no more than 2/3 throttle and sail about at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle.
A 30amp ESC would be OK but I like to over kill and also the 40amp Turnigy plush comes with a 3amp Bec. which seems to handle the 6 9g servos and an Orange 3 axis stabiliser. All above from Hobby King.
I am very happy with this set up and will be using it when I get some FPV gear.
Hope that helps
M.
Thanks Drone 5!
I am going to try your setup. Any idea of how much flight time do you get with that setup?
farmertom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Hi Farmertom.
Not had this set up for long and not done any time trials. All I can say is that I fly until I have had enough. 10 to 15 mins. I don't burn around the sky with the Bixler. With good hight I often cut the motor, deploy the flaps and glide around for ages. It just floats.
I have posted a video of last weekend at my local club page 99 posting 1472.
M.
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Upgraded Bixler 2 - Parts List

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread since the very first few weeks.

I have been slowly building a mini-fpv beast out of the Bixler 2 body. It needs a lot of help in terms of upgrades and structural reinforcement in my book but well worth the time.

I love how you can throw it in the car and leave it fully assembled. I had been flying an upgraded Diamond 2500 from Banana Hobby. I loved that machine too but wanted to try something different and more transportable.

I have not yet flown it with the Cobra motor. I had been using the HK 2200kv motor with the 7x5 prop and that thing was fast. It was probably going 40 mph at half throttle and I never felt like it was necessary to go faster. I upgraded to the cobra motor simply for the heck of it. Well I wanted a motor that ran smoother and quieter and it does. I can fly 25 minutes on the 3850 3-cell battery.

More pictures here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8593814...7632163865661/

Parts List:
Castle IceLite 50
Cobra 2813/12 Brushless motor – 2000kv (60 grams)
Small Parts CNC Adjustable Motor Mount
APC 7x5 Pusher Prop
Thunderpower 30C 3850mAh 3S

Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D Inertial Stabilizer

(1) HS65MG Servo (elevator)
(4) HS65 Carbonite (Flaps and Ailerons)

FPV Gear
Fatshark Dominators
Immersion 600mw transmitter
ReadyMadeRC – 600XVN Camera

Dragon Link vs2 w/ Dx7

*SIDE NOTE*
Can anyone help explain the details of running a 7x5 prop on this motor. I'm using a 50amp speed controller so no problem there but is there any concern of hurting the motor?

http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Cobra/C...3-12_Specs.htm

If you look at this spread sheet you'll see that the 7x5 prop for the 11.1 battery on this motor is in RED which suggests you should not run this prop. But if I run 60% throttle or less 90% of the time, am I okay?
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Last edited by jdwphotos.com; Dec 04, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:01 AM
I can fly this plane
Kingdom of Sweden, Gävleborg County, Sandviken
Joined Jan 2012
265 Posts
Looks like a good setup but are you running a CP clover on the video tx together with a LP whip on the video rx?
If so I suggest you change the antenna on the video rx to a CP.
Do you have more info on the goggle mod? Looks interesting.
PinDuke is offline Find More Posts by PinDuke
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinDuke View Post
Looks like a good setup but are you running a CP clover on the video tx together with a LP whip on the video rx?
If so I suggest you change the antenna on the video rx to a CP.
Do you have more info on the goggle mod? Looks interesting.
I have tried both the LP whip and clover leaf on the video RX while running the clover leaf you see on the airplane. Surprisingly I have not noticed a huge difference with either configuration. But as you are suggesting, it should work best with a matching clover leaf on the video rx! Thanks for pointing that out in the case that I was unaware.

Here is more information on the goggles - just scroll down a bit on the first page and you'll see more pictures...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661945
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
jdwphotos.com - questions:

1. where is your CG?

2. Are you having any down thrust issues with the motor mounted that high? I have a Bixler 1 and the same motor mount. When I get to 60% throttle it wants to nose down. I think the lever arm created by having the motor that much higher than the stock position is the culprit.
Curios to know what you are experiencing.

Thanks
uavrat is offline Find More Posts by uavrat
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavrat View Post
jdwphotos.com - questions:

1. where is your CG?

2. Are you having any down thrust issues with the motor mounted that high? I have a Bixler 1 and the same motor mount. When I get to 60% throttle it wants to nose down. I think the lever arm created by having the motor that much higher than the stock position is the culprit.
Curios to know what you are experiencing.

Thanks
The CG changes a bit depending on what gear I have on the airplane. I try to keep the CG about 1" back from the leading edge of the wing.

I have not flown the airplane with the motor in this position yet. I have been flying with the HK 2200 kv motor and was able to keep it down one position from where you see the cobra motor mounted. GOOD to know that the airplane will push down more with the motor mounted higher. I don't know if I will get out to fly again until spring with the cold weather approaching!

UPDATE - I just got out and did a quick flight in 15-20 mph winds. uavrat - you are correct - the motor mounted that high does degrade the flight characteristics and moves the CG back a bit since the motor is heavier. If I can't mount it lower I'm going back to the HK 2200 KV motor. That is such a great little motor apparently, at any cost for the blixer 2.
Last edited by jdwphotos.com; Dec 04, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:10 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,969 Posts
FWIW, here's a quick compilation of last weekend's flying 29 Nov- 1 Dec, maiden and following couple of days
onboard footage only, not everyone's cup of tea, but thought in the least this might give folks an idea of real time flight data using:
Bixler2
Turnigy 2826/1400 motor
7x5 APC
30 amp eflite esc
all flights except distance run using 2600mah & 450mah lipo's
RD32II HD sports cam is strapped to the nose only in tough-n-go flight
kangaroos, couple of birds, some touch n go's
3.2km river distance run on 5.8, 39 minute flight with 4000mah flight batt & 800mah vid batt
hand launch for distance run at 2:00 minutes
all flights had mild intermittant breeze

Bix2 MkII Maiden & flights Wacol 29 Nov ~ 1 Dec 2012 (9 min 35 sec)

this next video is of one flight only, HD footage of a mate's country farm, he had asked me for some hi def aerial footage

Walkers at Mary's 2012 (9 min 49 sec)

these videos will be viewable for a limited time, enjoy
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:32 PM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Nice footage! Kangaroo herding AussieHoppy this is the guy you met Satuday @ 5:30 in the first video......
Amfamora is offline Find More Posts by Amfamora
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:34 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
FWIW, .......)
Very cool stuff! You must be very happy with your plane!
farmertom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Fantastic videos Aussie!
BoMag is offline Find More Posts by BoMag
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined May 2010
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfamora View Post
Nice footage! Kangaroo herding AussieHoppy this is the guy you met Satuday @ 5:30 in the first video......
Hi mate! It was kinda funny because I was expecting a mate of mine and thought you were him, hence the flyby

You'll be happy with the bix, they're a great platform... I love my scale, and warbirds, but these bix's are just a great allrounder, no matter what your flavour of flying is

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
Very cool stuff! You must be very happy with your plane!
farmertom
yes Tom, very happy, I actually managed to keep this build fairly light, pleasure to fly
In the distance run I caught a couple of small thermals, very nice

The landing in the second HD vid was "different" heh heh the breeze was coming down the driveway, and had a shocking hangover lol it was only one flight, never flown there before, a nice little challenge

Has anyone tried clipping the wings on these to make it a little more agile... at the expense of stability...?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:43 AM
Joined May 2010
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMag View Post
Fantastic videos Aussie!
thanks bomag
they arent anything particularly special, but it's fun all the same!

I'd like to put the HD cam elsewhere but just doesnt seem to want to play well with the cg or lateral balance... it'll do for now, prob work better with my yet-to-fly SSS, more room to play with
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'