SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kauz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:37 AM
Somewhere in the Black Forest
Joined Oct 2009
421 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Parkzone Albatros DVa - The rigging

In mid June the Parkzone Albatros was available here in Germany. It was certain for me that if I had her at home, I would do some additional detailing and a repaint. This bird is really worth it! I want to start my overview on the things I did with the rigging. What you need is: aluminum tube from your local LHS, outer diameter 2mm, inner diameter 1mm, cotter pins 2mm in diameter and 40mm in length, you have to cut them shorter so they do not need to be that long, but my DIY- store did have only this type. And last, for the rigging itself, elastic cord used for making jewelry. It is available in different colours and on the full size Albatros these wires had a silver colour so it would be the easiest way to choose silver too. I went a different way by using black cord which I painted silver after completion. This may sound strange as it is more work to do, but when you paint your cord there will always be the black basic colour shimmering through the streaks of your paint brush, thus giving the rigging a used look as the wires aged over time, gathering dirt and grease which collected between the single thinner wires of which they were made. I divided my rigging diagram into three parts, as my rigging is made up of three parts too. The attached photos and the text within the photos should help a lot.

And now: Good luck

Frank
Kauz is offline Find More Posts by Kauz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Aug 02, 2012 at 02:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:07 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I love what you've done with the Albatross!
Absolutely Stunning!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauz View Post
In mid June the Parkzone Albatros was available here in Germany. It was certain for me that if I had her at home, I would do some additional detailing and a repaint. This bird is really worth it! I want to start my overview on the things I did with the rigging. What you need is: aluminum tube from your local LHS, outer diameter 2mm, inner diameter 1mm, cotter pins 2mm in diameter and 40mm in length, you have to cut them shorter so they do not need to be that long, but my DIY- store did have only this type. And last, for the rigging itself, elastic cord used for making jewelry. It is available in different colours and on the full size Albatros these wires had a silver colour so it would be the easiest way to choose silver too. I went a different way by using black cord which I painted silver after completion. This may sound strange as it is more work to do, but when you paint your cord there will always be the black basic colour shimmering through the streaks of your paint brush, thus giving the rigging a used look as the wires aged over time, gathering dirt and grease which collected between the single thinner wires of which they were made. I divided my rigging diagram into three parts, as my rigging is made up of three parts too. The attached photos and the text within the photos should help a lot.

And now: Good luck

Frank
TopDog and "One of a Kind" work on the Alby, really Outstanding!
And nice and detailed blog post!
Thanks for posting!
and FLYFLYFLY
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Oct 2009
421 Posts
Thanks to you both
And ddog: I WILL I WILL I WILL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dynam Messerschmitt Bf-110
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:27 AM
Heli & Warbird Fan
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Jun 2009
412 Posts
Well done, Frank!
-=RAGE=- is offline Find More Posts by -=RAGE=-
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Oct 2009
421 Posts
Thanks Rage
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Oct 2009
421 Posts
By reading over my post I noticed there was something missing- the rigging of the landing gear! I had completely forgotten to post it So to finish my "how -to", here it is...

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:40 AM
United States, IL, Springfield
Joined Apr 2013
92 Posts
Very nice work indeed.

May I ask you if you thought this bird was nose heavy? I have searched and searched and can not find any info on this, if anyone thinks this airplane is nose heavy.

Your thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks for posting this thread great work.
Avenger Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Avenger Pilot
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:02 AM
Joined Oct 2009
421 Posts
Thank you I didn't find this bird to be nose heavy, even with my 2200's. In my opinion it balances perfectly.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Apr 2013
92 Posts
I found you are missing one wire. It goes on the front. Mount another cotter pin about 1 inch under the other cotter pin up by the spinner. Then run a wire from this to the back brace on the top or top rear brace.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Apr 2013
92 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Al...rshow_2012.jpg

You see this wire in this photo
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:52 AM
Joined Oct 2009
421 Posts
I didn't install this wire by purpose. On many historical photos it is simply missing, so I opted for this layout.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2006
456 Posts
This is seriously nice work!
Thanks for all your rigging work, I've got my Alby on the way, and I'm looking forward to making it look better!
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old May 13, 2013, 08:11 AM
Joined Oct 2009
421 Posts
You're welcome and good luck

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:43 AM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
I followed Franks directions with my PZ SE5a and couldn't be happier with the results. Now on to my Albatros (and everyting else that needs rigging)

Paul
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko