HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
What is the best radio system for professional use

Ok, I understand that this thread could start a flame war but it's absolutely not my intention.

Moreover I've done some search but (probably my fault) did not find something specific to my current situation: so, I'm sorry if I'm betting a dead horse again.

Fact is that I'm currently flying a Cinestar 8 360 fully loaded and I'm working with it very much for very important productions. The CS8/360 (as some know) is a dual operator multirotor that flies wonderfully but I'm having more than a headache with the transmitter(s) because of the signal that sometimes is lost, even at very short distance (30-50 meters).

I would like to avoid to say what transmitters I've because I fear useless discussions. All I can say is that they're pricey, use the latest technologies and that I did all the possible tests with them: new batteries, new receivers, testing in open space without obstacles and so on... Simply put, they're not reliable enough (for me) to trust them.

I've a simple question instead: considering the fact that I'm using thousands worth of gear (not counting the camera) professionally, I'm in the need to find the most realiable and durable radio system (best range/best transmission/etc). No matter the cost or if the radios are carved in solid gold: I need them to work without worrying to loose the signal if the copter goes as far as 100 meters from me.

What would you suggest based on your experience?

If you want, I can give all the datas regarding my gear in private messages.

Thanks so much for your kindness and time. Best,

Emanuele
Videographia.it is offline Find More Posts by Videographia.it
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:37 AM
Life is such a brainfart.
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2004
406 Posts
Hi Emanuele,

If you are losing signal at 30-50 metres, then there is definitely a problem. You should lose sight of your aircraft before you lose radio range. It is probably one of four problems listed below.

1. Your radio TX is faulty. Hopefully its under warranty so you should send it back to get tested/fixed.

2. Your receiver is not setup correctly or faulty. Make sure the aerial is not damaged and is fully extended and setup as per the manufacturers instructions. If possible, try another receiver.

3. You are using a radio TX on your aircraft because you might be doing FPV. If you have a 2.4Ghz radio and you are also using a 2.4Ghz video transmitter on your aircraft, then you will have problems.

4. A lot of your aircraft is made from carbon fiber. Carbon Fiber can play havoc with radio gear unless it is setup correctly.

In my experience, you really can't go wrong with either Futaba or JR radio gear.

Cheers,

Andy
snaggers is offline Find More Posts by snaggers
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for your advice, Andy.

- I'm waiting for new RXs to mount them onto the copter (both frame and head) so I'll test them ASAP;

- The actual RX antennas are not damaged, are facing outside and are unobstructed so they should be set properly;

- The radio system is 2,4GHz while the video downlink is 5,8GHz (I've a similar setup on a small quad with a DX8 and never had those issues)

- As for the carbon fiber to be the culprit it's a very good point but in this case I wonder what it could be done.

Best,

Emanuele
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:44 PM
Life is such a brainfart.
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2004
406 Posts
Hi Emanuele,

I would be going through a process of elimination to find the problem. First of all, turn off the 5.8Ghz video transmitter and then test your range. What is the power output of your video transmitter by the way??? This would be the main suspect as I expect the video tx would be quite close to your radio rx and can really test how good your equipment is.

Second of all, try removing your radio gear from the copter and then range testing it. This will determine if the carbon fiber is contributing to your problems.

Also try the new RX's and hopefully by trying these steps you will soon find the problem.

Cheers,

Andy
snaggers is offline Find More Posts by snaggers
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:44 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
2.4 Ghz radios and carbon fibre don't like each other ... dito 2.4 Ghz radio and 2.4 Ghz video link

if that is the case get a solid FM system like a Futaba or a Multiplex synthesized system... no more carbon worries, no more 2.4 Ghz interference from your camera (even the 4.8 Ghz cameras can interfere a little with 2.4 Ghz radios AFAIK) ...FM system with a Schulze Rx - problem solved
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Last edited by big bird; Aug 02, 2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,244 Posts
I know several people flying with 5.8gHz camera systems w/o a problem with our radios. I have one myself, but haven't put it together yet.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:52 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,115 Posts
I agree, there is something wrong with your current system.

For much more range look at 433MHz systems (such as this http://fpvhobby.com/127-433-mhz-long...rc-system.html) and antenna trackers. I have a feeling you don't really need this though once your existing system is fixed.

Hans
hul is online now Find More Posts by hul
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:53 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
the other thing to consider is how far away you plan on flying - the older generation German FM radios had ranges of 3 plus miles

the newer 2.4GHz stuff is good for maybe up to 2 miles maximum, in many cases, less
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:38 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,374 Posts
Google and find the 433MHz System from Thomas Scherrer.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for all your invaluable help guys.

After some testing, I came to the conclusion that the massive CF body of the CS8/360 seems to be the culprit. I've solved the problem this way (see image attached) and I hope it will be useful to others too.

Now the signal is good to very good even at 200 meters from the copter.

Best,

Emanuele
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,067 Posts
These guys used Airtronics:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...16J1_w&cad=rja
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:29 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
If that's how you originally had the antennae mounted before you moved them, then that could have been your problem. Both antennae appear to be almost in the same plane - they should be at 90 degrees to one another - one horizontal and one vertical. Also, you'd be better to mount the antennae UNDER the craft - less likely to be blocked by carbon then.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:24 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,223 Posts
Hi,

Spektrum has "Carbon Fuselage Receiver", would that maybe solve a problem like this?

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR9310

Spektrum's AR9310 DSMX 9-channel receiver is designed for carbon fiber fuselage installations. Carbon fiber can create an RF shielding effect that can significantly reduce radio range when using conventional receivers and antennas. The AR9310 features an antenna design that overcomes RF issues in these critical environments.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee