HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose13 View Post
raRARA what are the contradictions mate??
Cheers
People say the lift and efficiency is greater on the 1880mm wings. Actually it should be the avg between the 1680 and 1900. That's why I say your review contradicts to other people who say the efficiency and gliding is better.

The CoG has BIG factor on almost everything, how you control the plane, how well it performs and glides.

I could write 3 different reviews on the Skywalker just by moving the CoG.
raRaRa is offline Find More Posts by raRaRa
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Over 70mph trying to lose altitude.

My Condor just wants to fly away. the lift and glide is amazing I estimate over a 10-1 glide ratio. almost lost her when I hit 40 mph upper winds. My CG is 5mm ahead of wire 105mm from LE. This was a scary flight.
Lost DX7 signal @1.2 miles I was already trying to get back because of bad video. Very windy and I was disoriented in unfamiliar area. I just noticed while coasting home, no throttle groung speed was over 40mph. I really had to nose her down to lose altitude, hit over 70mph in down spiral.
71mph Skywalker Condor Saved by RVOSD (27 min 20 sec)
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:26 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raRaRa View Post
People say the lift and efficiency is greater on the 1880mm wings. Actually it should be the avg between the 1680 and 1900. That's why I say your review contradicts to other people who say the efficiency and gliding is better.

The CoG has BIG factor on almost everything, how you control the plane, how well it performs and glides.

I could write 3 different reviews on the Skywalker just by moving the CoG.

OK I understand now.
The review is unbiased. The guys at fpvmodel.com have been great - no pressure at all. So you are getting real honest feedback.... It is what it is..! warts and all

COG looked around 4.5 inches back - on the servo wire. It did feel like it could go back a bit more. It would slow it down and glide a little better. I didn't have any pitch up/down on throttle on/off and it did feel very sweet to fly.
Agree - different cog can make for different review
That said, the Skywalker has an incredibly wide range of CoG it can fly with. More than any other plane I've flown.

Just to be aware, this wing has a different profile to the others that may not be apparent from the pics.
It is slightly swept back from the wing root and has a flat bottom profile. The dihedral is right out at the wingtips compared to the others which are much further towards the wing root.
No undercamber like the 1900.
Its also heavier - both the foam and the spar.

It is a bit more aerobatic / faster - which probbaly matches the change in wing profile / weight
It still glides very well if I didn't make that clear. I'm even thinking of entering into a local competition here for best non glider power off glide times....

One of the guys here has the 1900 and 1680. To give a comparison of the three between us although neither have flown all three...

ALL are stable.
1900/1680 self stabilise more than 1880. i.e. let go of sticks they return to level flight
1900 is least aerobatic. 1880 is most. 1680 in between
1900/1680 seem similar power to cruise. 1990 a touch more.
1680 takes least power to climb
1900 best at picking thermals / 1880 worst
1880 copes with wind turbulence best 1900 worst
1900 slowest 1880 fastest
1880 is better for aggressive flying. 1900 least

Buy one fuselage and extra 2 sets of wings.... enjoy whatever style of flying you want to do! cool eh?
Its an awesome plane. I have no doubt it will be a big success
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:35 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
raRaRa,
is right about his quote. (100% agreed'). We do need CoG info here.

"""I could write 3 different reviews on the Skywalker just by moving the CoG."""
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:28 PM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
818 Posts
Guys guys guys where are your reviews?
So far not too much outcome. Thanks solely to BigNose I can have at least some understanding about what bird she is - but it is by far not enough.
Go ahead, you were issued free airplanes not as gifts but to try them out and share your impressions in full detail.
Pliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz.
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:31 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
My Condor just wants to fly away. the lift and glide is amazing I estimate over a 10-1 glide ratio. almost lost her when I hit 40 mph upper winds. My CG is 5mm ahead of wire 105mm from LE. This was a scary flight.
Lost DX7 signal @1.2 miles I was already trying to get back because of bad video. Very windy and I was disoriented in unfamiliar area. I just noticed while coasting home, no throttle groung speed was over 40mph. I really had to nose her down to lose altitude, hit over 70mph in down spiral.
http://youtu.be/t42D_pGDYwk
Lose your spectrum or lose your plane. When the new 9x comes out or FrSkys own transmitter, you should probably get one of those.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:07 AM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Hi could someone recommended the correct or suitable motor for this model? I flew mine and it flew really well. Quick to build easy to set up and fly. Only gripe i have it the tail. I needs carbon in the rudder area to make it less wobblie! This the only problem with foam models. But on the bright side it flys so well and is very strong. I would deffo buy another if i crashed mine! Just it does lack alot of info on motors and the set up. U do need experience before buying this model!
My set up is this:
servos are metal gears servos
60 hobbywing ESC
unknown brushless motor just a spare i had kicking about.
Batteries are 2x5500mah 25c 11.1v lipos
CoG is 5mm forward of the Servo wire in wing!

All in all for the price its a great model and easy to fly if you mix aileron and rudder.
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:35 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,429 Posts
On a 3s, many use a Turnigy D3536/5 1450KV running APC 9*6
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:41 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,429 Posts
Agree .... If I was one of the lucky ones, review + vid would have been up by now.
I was at least lucky enough to fly bignose plane too, as well as read his brill review. It's a nice plane to fly. Looking forward to next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
Guys guys guys where are your reviews?
So far not too much outcome. Thanks solely to BigNose I can have at least some understanding about what bird she is - but it is by far not enough.
Go ahead, you were issued free airplanes not as gifts but to try them out and share your impressions in full detail.
Pliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
On a 3s, many use a Turnigy D3536/5 1450KV running APC 9*6
Yep thats what I got, Ideal for this bird
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226
And using an APC 9x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Agree .... If I was one of the lucky ones, review + vid would have been up by now.
I was at least lucky enough to fly bignose plane too, as well as read his brill review. It's a nice plane to fly. Looking forward to next time.
Thanks mate, I did have a little help from your self though, only a little mind
I'm hopeing to get more vid up soon, also some pics, but the weather here is just so pants, normally September is a good month for us Welsh but not this year
Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:17 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
picard10th

thats insane, you still use Spektrum DX "crap for FPV" for RC control..... its guaranteed you will crash with that POS radio :-)

(that radio is for park flying only, with 2.4ghz RC control)
Last edited by LexusFPV; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:33 AM
Night flier
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
picard10th

thats insane, you still use Spektrum DX "crap for FPV" for RC control..... its guaranteed you will crash with that POS radio :-)

(that radio is for park flying only)
Yeah deffo agree. I had a DX system and the amount of times it caused a crash wasnt funny. My advice is to get a futaba of some sorts. i have the 10c and it rocks! get over a miles range with 35mhz rx and now on dragonlink. Its just plug it in and up and working!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
ya, SpeKtrum is horrid for FPV (no range).... you can buy a used Futaba RC tx on the forSale ads,,,,then attach your DL or EzUHF (any UHF system) and your free....

I've gone out 2.5 + miles on a 72mhz Futaba 9c RC Transmitter.....no hiccups whatsoever!
(try that with a SpeKtrum with all your FPV gear turned ON onboard, flying in the air).

Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
Night flier
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
I say fly with. Spektrum and prepare to replace your model. Spektrum has cost me at least 300 easy due to loss of signal. Dont buy, sell it and buy futaba. U wont regreat it.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:54 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
speKtru is ok if your FPV equipment is not turned "on" inside your plane!
Thats it!