SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:57 AM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
I thought I would start on the project. Tomorrow will be the big day for spray-mounting and cutting out all of the printed parts. I finished the two fuel pods for the Skynight.

Den
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:50 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,297 Posts
Skyknight...
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
Thanks, AceMigKiller.

Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Skyknight...
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
I finished the "ugly" part, spraying adhesive onto the printed parts and laminating them onto 1mm foam. I've got the parts cut out and have started forming up the fuse and engine parts. I think she will be a beautiful model. Here she is in all her parts. Thanks to Christoph Stahl and his fine design of the Skynight. I'm having fun!!!!!!

Peace,
Den
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:24 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
I have all of the parts cut out and formed. They are taped together to give you a peak of what it will look like. A 36" yardstick is for scale. She is going to be a nice size. I could have made it a little bigger, but I don't have a lot of room. One thing this thing reminds me of, the shape that is, is a WWII V-1 rocket. The layout and wings are very familiar. I wonder if there is a connection. The Skynight was designed shortly after WWII. With all of the German specifications, test results, etc., I wonder if they had impacted the design?

Anyway, she is coming along.

Peace,
Den
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,455 Posts
looks like the x1 to me! shaping up nicely!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
Thanks, Nut.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
looks like the x1 to me! shaping up nicely!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
I've started working on the engine section of the Skynight. This part is well designed by Christoph Stalh. It is going to look great when it is fitted to the fuse.

Dennis
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,455 Posts
man, thats sweet!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:12 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
I put some of the parts together to get a quick "fix" on the build. She is starting to look like a Skynight. I think she will be a beauty if you don't look too close. She is coming in at a light weight and should fly nice, naturally, without me on the sticks.

Enjoy.

Den
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,264 Posts
Looks real good.
How do you form the foam after you apply the paper? It would seem that this would make it harder to form. I usually form 3mm depron using a heat gun and a contour, without any paper on it.
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,455 Posts
wow! that looks pretty cool!!!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:35 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
Thank you for your comments.
After I print out the patterns in color on butcher paper (cheap) I 3M spray glue the paper to 1 mm foam. You would be suprised how much strength this gives the foam, especially after I roll form it. I use several diameter dowels from pencil size up to an 1 1/2" dowel. I start with the large dowel and 1 mm foam and roll the foam over it back and forth until it starts to get a curve in it. I reduce the dowel size as necessary depending on the part. If you look at the F3D wing, it is 6 mm, paper applied, foam. I roll this by hand, back and forth over the large dowel. It will begin to take a set of a curve. I very the pressure of the roll on the leading edge and the rear trailing edge until I get the airfoil I want. I have a card stock paper pattern of the airfoil and continue forming until it conforms close to the airfoil cut out of the paper pattern.

I have a number of instructions that I have done showing some of this type of forming in foam, if you would care to see it. It really works well. It may not look like it is turning out nice until you start to put all of the parts together. This does not give you a "J Morgan" type of airbrushed finish, but considering the amount of time it takes to get a good model, I feel it is worth it. It's really not that hard. Just takes being open to a new type of construction and being a little of a problem solver, along with some patience (not much).

Peace,
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
Looks real good.
How do you form the foam after you apply the paper? It would seem that this would make it harder to form. I usually form 3mm depron using a heat gun and a contour, without any paper on it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,633 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, Nut........ I would not have built this without your input. As an aside, I got a nice three view of an FJ1.

Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
wow! that looks pretty cool!!!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,455 Posts
thats great news! 35"ws would be perfect.....for 50mm edf or small pusher....