|Aug 01, 2012, 01:50 AM|
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
Graupner MX20 vs Spektrum: how to loose a Multicopter ?
How to loose a multicopter at 5 km from take off.
My Epic Scarab Reconn who flew over Iguaçu falls (on Spektrum gear) has finally ended by my fault after I setup a new Graupner MX20. I used to fly it on my Spektrum DX8, safely within 700 meters as I was warned by telemetry alarm and could always turn back. I also fly my other Scarabs on Thomas Sherrer LRS.
I thought Thomas Scherrer is a little bit of overkill considering a multicopter autonomy so in an attemp to have only one system, I decided to test the Graupner MX20 who is supposed to have 4 km range!
This was my first time out with my new MX20 and as I decided to fly within 500m to check my first setup, I did not even setup my naza failsafe on RTH. By the way, I new the telemetry would bip before the RC could be out of range.
After about 300 meters I got a telemetry alarm but two seconds later it went on failsafe: hold last command. I could only start recording on my Carbonbird blackbox and watch the images till the end, 5 km away from take off.
Based on the images, I could go on the crash location, I could ear my Emcotec Locating beeper doing S.O.S. beep but based on the residential area, I could not access all gardens to search for the aircraft and decalred it lost after 2 hours of search.
- 900 mhZ / 500 mW from hobby wireless is a very good video gear, it kept the images till the end, 5 km away at an altitude below 100 meters, this with no diversity on the reception, simple stock omni antenna on my hat groundtation. I can sell my patch antenna
- Always setup properly your RTH if you have the option to do so
- Always do range test on ground when you first try a new RC transmitter
- Don't trust manufacturers... Finally my DX7 and DX8 appear to have more range than the latest Graupner HOTT technology!
- I will keep my Thomas Scherre LRS
- I may search for a more efficient locating system.
|Aug 01, 2012, 01:56 AM|
Joined Dec 2010
lol, another graupner "sucess". while spooektrum is no angel, this overpriced German stuff that isn't actually made in Germany is just the wurst. get frsky and forget this stuff.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion JR XG8 vs Graupner MX20?||Dean.roberts||Hand Launch||5||Aug 02, 2012 04:01 AM|
|Discussion DJI Naza / Graupner MX20 / Failsafe Setup||fliegen||Multirotor Talk||0||Jun 21, 2012 04:36 PM|
|Discussion Graupner mx20 pitchcurve problem||thijmen5||Radios||4||May 10, 2012 01:26 PM|
|Cool How loo..oow can you go!!||Quiet E. Flyer||Arizona Model Aviators||39||Oct 02, 2011 01:40 AM|
|Discussion "Disgrace" must have been a loo-loo...||arbilab||Site Chat||28||Oct 10, 2010 01:07 AM|