HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Help!
Flybar or flybarless? Which one do your prefer?

Hi guys,

I am learning something about heli. Recently I found a thing which is related to the flybar and flybarless. It is said that flybarless has being a trend now as well as the future.

So what do you think about it?

Would you guy please tell me which kind you have? And which one do you prefer?

Thanks a lot
super2012 is offline Find More Posts by super2012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
I have both and both currently have a place. A flybar has different flight characteristics and feel than flybarless does. But, the mechanical simplicity of the flybarless systems gives them a huge advantage in durability and setup. It will only increase as flybarless systems and head design improves and gets cheaper.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
I have several larger flybar machines, but only three FBL ones...all micros... The Blade mSR X, mCP X and the new 130 X. They all fly great and absolutely rock, especially that 130 X. LOVE it. I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering never buying another flybar machine again and converting my old stuff over to FBL. It's that good...
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:45 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,437 Posts
I started with a T-Rex 500 flybarred model a couple of years ago, and earlier this year bought a T-Rex 550E V2 flybarless.

I think the 3Gx fbl unit that came with my 550 was faulty (I couldn't get the model off the ground without it tipping over), so I swapped it for a MicroBeast unit and was able to fly it without needing any adjustment. I like the mechanical simplicity of the fbl heli -- less linkages, and no flybar to bend -- but at the moment mine feels less direct than my flybarred 500. I'm hoping that, when I've had time to play with some of the many adjustments available in the MicroBeast, control will feel more direct.

Having said that, I don't feel the urge to convert my 500 to flybarless. They're just different, and I'll be happy to fly both.

My 3Gx unit went back to the local distributor for a check, and the repaired or replaced unit will be going on eBay as soon as I get it back
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:48 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
I have the mCPx, which is FBL of course, and am really enjoying the way it flies. It lets me practice in a small area. I have a Tarot ZYX-S that I'm going to put on my modded T-Rex 450 SA (Now has a SEV2 head but will convert to a FBL head), to see how I like it. My interest is in scale, and if the ZYX-S proves out, there may be another one in the future for my Swift. Time will tell.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
I have FBL and FB helis, 6 total. My Gaui 550 started out with a FB and Spartan Quark gyro, then I converted it to FBL with BeastX and to be honest I see no difference in performance.

The only FB heli I have is a CopterX 450 Black Angel. I'll keep it FB as like I said I see no difference in performance so I'll save the money for new batteries.

If you are new to setting up CP heli's I would recommend FB, unless you have someone that knows what they're doing help you. The FB helis are more tolerant to poor mechanical setups than FBL.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,490 Posts
whats a flybar

there is no point in a flybar heli at this point if your starting out
flybar helis are harder to setup and fix
and with the TONS of the how to videos on all the major FBL controllers out there its so much easier

the other thing is flybar helis are going to the way of the dodo other then clones which are the worst thing you buy starting out
almost all 450 and are fbl only now

if it matters im flying a 500 ESP with a old 3G and a 6HV with a BeastX atm waiting for my Vbar to get back from RMA
love the Vbar to bad the US support for it is so bad
might try the SK540 on my 500 at some point
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:28 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
whats a flybar

there is no point in a flybar heli at this point if your starting out
flybar helis are harder to setup and fix
and with the TONS of the how to videos on all the major FBL controllers out there its so much easier

the other thing is flybar helis are going to the way of the dodo other then clones which are the worst thing you buy starting out

if it matters im flying a 500 ESP with a old 3G and a 6HV with a BeastX atm waiting for my Vbar to get back from RMA
love the Vbar to bad the US support for it is so bad
might try the SK540 on my 500 at some point
Sorry but I completely disagree. Even with the how to vids if you are just beginning you are bound to make mechanical or programming errors. With these errors the FBL is not as forgiving as the FB set ups. I'm not saying FB is better I'm just saying it will fly better with a poor set up than a FBL system will.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Not necessarily. In terms of volume of sales, Horizon/Blade is a pretty major player. Their flybarred 450 3D is going strong and the new 500 they'll be releasing this year will be offered in FB and FBL.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,571 Posts
It matters what flybarless system is installed on the helicopter....I would not trust a cheap tarot or align 3g on an expensive helicopter...If you are using a beast x, skookum or a vbar the system is much more dependable...I have had people come into the shop with tarot and align 3g gyros that just do not operate correctly....There are other things you need to focus on when installing a flybarless system like fast servos weighted flybarless blades and mounting the gyro with little or no vibration to the gyro...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:09 AM View Post
Elios000
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while Elios000 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
SO ether im a genius or you dumb take your pick
This thead is asking for opinions, not personal attacks...
breault is offline Find More Posts by breault
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breault View Post
This thead is asking for opinions, not personal attacks...
just pointing out if your smart enough to fly these things you can setup a FBL heli with out any issues
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:30 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
i setup my 500 ESP 3G with 0 help other then videos and Finlessbobs build videos
be for that i flew a Blade SR which took nothing to setup since all the links are one piece and pre set
but the i love learning some thing new and pushing my limits and i pick up new skills fast
it can be done if your not a meat head any way
if setting 5 links is hard maybe you need to find a new hobby as the physical setup on my 500 and 6HV took all of 5 min
the 6HV was even easier then the 500 thanks to the swash guide that come with it
but a set of digital calipers makes even setting up with out one trivial

the BeastX and Vbar will fly great out of the box with just a quick setup that takes maybe 10 min

i took over an hour to help a guy setup his Trex450 that had a flybar after a repair

first flight 2 years ago on my 500 that was the first heli had ever built and only had a hand full of flight on the SR be for
the 3G was very easy to setup and physical setup was stupidly easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH-z15ZXtsM

Wow Elios00 why the personal attack? Your comment is way over the line there. This is an open forum and we are all allowed our own opinions. I personally don't agree with yours but I would never think to attack you personally like you did with me.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Priceless.