SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:34 PM
What? I was too busy flying...
Joined Jan 2011
187 Posts
Discussion
HK KK V2.1 board not arming

I got a new board because the old one had a gyro reversed and I couldn't program it the other way despite numerous attempts following the rcexplorer instructions and others. So now I have an HK KK V2.1 and am getting tired of having this same problem over and over with the board not arming, or once I get it, self arming. For some reason this type of board and I really don't get along and I just want to be flying my multi. If the information is needed, the setup is this: Custom Y6 Frame, HK KK V2.1 board, hobbyking blueseries esc, Avroto motors, and an AR6110e receiver with a DX7 transmitter.

Please help me off the ground,
-Charlie
Woodchuck12 is offline Find More Posts by Woodchuck12
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:46 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck12 View Post
I got a new board because the old one had a gyro reversed and I couldn't program it the other way despite numerous attempts following the rcexplorer instructions and others. So now I have an HK KK V2.1 and am getting tired of having this same problem over and over with the board not arming, or once I get it, self arming. For some reason this type of board and I really don't get along and I just want to be flying my multi. If the information is needed, the setup is this: Custom Y6 Frame, HK KK V2.1 board, hobbyking blueseries esc, Avroto motors, and an AR6110e receiver with a DX7 transmitter.

Please help me off the ground,
-Charlie
First question: what firmware do you have on your board?
er9xuser is online now Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
187 Posts
I am not sure about the firmware, but the person I ordered it from flashed the Y6 firmware and gave me this website; http://lazyzero.de/_media/modellbau/...16j_readme.pdf
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jan 2011
187 Posts
I also can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something obvious.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
68 Posts
Your probably going to need to load your own firmware. Its pretty easy really.

get one of these - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21321

Get version 0.62 of the software - http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool
There are instructions on the site on how to install and use it.

The tricky thing is I just checked and there isn't a KK version firmware for the Y6 - at least I couldn't see it (unless Mike Barton is the same person). I have not been able to get the other person's firmware to work - probably has different instructions.
pjman is offline Find More Posts by pjman
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2011
187 Posts
Okay, I will try this.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
708 Posts
I feel your pain; hang in there.

I have gone back and forth between MWC and KK boards now and am finding that each have their own uses.

First off, there is indeed lots of firmware choices for Y6. I have attached a ZIP of the flash tool you need.

I am not saying this is the best way, but here is what works for me:
  1. Unzip to your desk top
  2. PLUG IN YOUR USBAsp!!
  3. Double-click the file that says "kkMulticopterFlashTool"--NOT the either of the ones that end in "_32" or _64".
  4. Wait a minute as a black command prompt opens and then a user interface about 30 sec later.
  5. You may be prompted that a newer version of the software is available and that you can download now. Your choice, but I do not do this as I had a problem with the newer software not detecting my USBAsp.
  6. Select "generic USBAsp" (probably)
  7. Choose, "Y6"
  8. Choose any of the firmware that looks good to you. One big problem here is that there are no descriptions of what each different version is. Sometimes the titles are vaguely descriptive. I always just google the title and can usually find a description of the firmware on line.

If you can't arm:
  1. Did you calibrate your throttle range for your ESC's? Might be best to calibrate them one-by-one. This is important because the KK firmware will be looking for a throttle "0" value and if you have your stick all of the way down, but the ESC firmware thinks that you don't then the KK won't arm.
  2. Do you need to reverse yaw or throttle channels on your TX? With props off, plug one of the esc directly into the throttle channel of your TX. Confirm that what you think is throttle up is the same as what the multi thinks it is. If you have to start at what you think is full throttle and then pull the stick back to actually get the motor spinning, then you are reversed. Fix this on the RX.
  3. If you still can't arm, flash the board with new firmware and try all of the above again.
  4. If you STILL can't arm, you may have a bad board. I have some spares that I have saved for a rainy day and can send you one for whatever the cost of them (with shipping) is from HK. That way you can get it quickly and I'll order another from the slow boat.

AFTER YOU CAN ARM:
I mostly fly quads, but I have several times loaded a new firmware only to discover that the firmware reverses the yaw gyro so that the quad spins like a top on take off. So the first order of business is to check that and if you are spinning or flopping over (or backwards/forwards) it should be obvious which gyros need to be reversed manually:
  1. Remopve Props or unplug two of the three wires going to the motor!!!
  2. turn roll potentiometer (pot) to 0 (min).
  3. Power on TX.
  4. Power on multi.
  5. While watching the LED on the KK board, bump the appropriate stick on your TX in the direction it needs to be reversed. If you are spinning, then bump the yaw stick left or right to reverse the yaw gyro. If you are flopping backwards or forwards on liftoff, then bump the elevator stick up or down, if you are flopping left or right on lift off then bump the roll stick left or right.
  6. The LED will blink several times after you bump a stick. Do this only once.
  7. Power down the multi.
  8. Power off your TX
  9. Turn the roll pot back to mid-level.
  10. You are now done.
mcashatt is offline Find More Posts by mcashatt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SkullCopter Labs